UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 60
Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?

Hi All
I would like to rewire my Dad's old 'big copper bit' 85W soldering iron
with some modern silicone mains cable. All the suppliers I've seen sell it
by the reel, and I only want 3m or so. So - any suggestions for a source?
1.0mm three-core would probably be fine.

Thanks
Jon N


  #2   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43,017
Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?

In article ,
The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All I would like to rewire my Dad's old 'big copper bit' 85W
soldering iron with some modern silicone mains cable. All the suppliers
I've seen sell it by the reel, and I only want 3m or so. So - any
suggestions for a source? 1.0mm three-core would probably be fine.


1mm is a bit overkill.

Butyl will do the job as well, and is more readily available. 0.75mm - if
it will physically fit.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...tyl/index.html

If old it would probably have been TRS rubber cable. Got a drum of that
here.

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43,017
Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 04/08/2010 08:05, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All I would like to rewire my Dad's old 'big copper bit' 85W
soldering iron with some modern silicone mains cable. All the
suppliers I've seen sell it by the reel, and I only want 3m or so. So
- any suggestions for a source? 1.0mm three-core would probably be
fine.


Any plumbers merchant will sell you some off the reel usually (for
immersion heater and CH applications)


Silicone or butyl? And in black?

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 60
Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?

Hi Tim

It was either Farnell or RS I got my last lot from, very recently. Try
Farnell first - easy to find with the parametric searching feature.


I tried both places before posting - they only seem to do it by the reel,
unless I've missed something.

Regards
J^n



  #5   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 60
Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?

Hi Dave

In article ,
The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All I would like to rewire my Dad's old 'big copper bit' 85W
soldering iron with some modern silicone mains cable. All the suppliers
I've seen sell it by the reel, and I only want 3m or so. So - any
suggestions for a source? 1.0mm three-core would probably be fine.


1mm is a bit overkill.


Yes, I know - it was just a suggested size.


Butyl will do the job as well, and is more readily available. 0.75mm - if
it will physically fit.


Really? the butyl cable I have seen is rated for 'up to 85 degrees (C)'. It
may be that it would survive momentary brushes with a soldering iron, but
(as I'm sure you know) an iron is a lot hotter than that.

Antex produce their (much smaller) soldering irons with the option of a
silicon cable or a cheaper non-silicon one. You can get the cable
separately:

http://www.rapidonline.com/1/1/2729-...ble-irons.html

but only 1.2m long, which is a bit short in this case.


http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...tyl/index.html


This sort of thing might have to do if I can't find anything else. There's a
TLC local to me - I hadn't thought about them, so thanks.

If old it would probably have been TRS rubber cable. Got a drum of that
here.


Quite possibly - it's pretty ancient. It seemed old when I first handled it
nearly 40 years ago - used it for soldering model aircraft fuel tanks...

Cheers
J^n




  #6   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 60
Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?

Hi Tim


1491467 2-core 0.75mm2
1491468 3-core 0.75mm2


Well, I missed those, so thanks very much. £2.75/m tho'?? oh well ...


Mind you, what I didn't realise was that they don't do smaller sizes by
the m. I used 1mm2 version of the above for some LV halogen drops, but I
guess for an iron you'd rather have something much lighter than 6mm dia.


Nah, 6mm is fine. This is a big heavy iron, not a small Antex or Weller etc.
The 6mm cable will be substantially thinner and (more importantly) more
flexible than the ancient heavy duty 13A cable it is replacing.

OK - red herring. ebay?


Very little, to my surprise, unless I've not got the right search term.

Thanks a lot for the FEC links

Cheers
J^n


  #7   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 689
Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?


"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
...
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 04/08/2010 08:05, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All I would like to rewire my Dad's old 'big copper bit' 85W
soldering iron with some modern silicone mains cable. All the
suppliers I've seen sell it by the reel, and I only want 3m or so. So
- any suggestions for a source? 1.0mm three-core would probably be
fine.


Any plumbers merchant will sell you some off the reel usually (for
immersion heater and CH applications)


Silicone or butyl? And in black?

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.


Buy a cheap garden extension reel and cut a bit off.

S


  #8   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,235
Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?

On Aug 4, 11:42*pm, "Spamlet" wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in ...



In article ,
* John Rumm wrote:
On 04/08/2010 08:05, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All I would like to rewire my Dad's old 'big copper bit' 85W
soldering iron with some modern silicone mains cable. All the
suppliers I've seen sell it by the reel, and I only want 3m or so. So
- any suggestions for a source? 1.0mm three-core would probably be
fine.


Any plumbers merchant will sell you some off the reel usually (for
immersion heater and CH applications)


Silicone or butyl? And in black?


--
*Rehab is for quitters.


* *Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * *To e-mail, change noise into sound.


Buy a cheap garden extension reel and cut a bit off.


What guarantee are you prepared to offer that it will be silicone
cable?

MBQ
  #9   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,683
Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?

As stated Farnell do Lapp Kabel silicone cable in 3-core. It will be
red in colour, extremely flexible, fine stranded.

For a soldering iron you want silicone a) mainly so it does not tug on
the iron when in a stand or when in use and b) re contact temperature.
The downside of silicone is it will not slide over surfaces easily,
hence the better clothes irons with silicone cable also have it
covered in a woven fabric mesh. So a silicone iron cord might do,
although price "a bit samey".

Price is not bad, I'm afraid that is what it costs unless you can find
a generic "Performance Power" or similar brand which will be about 50%
less than the Lapp Kabel kind of price. If it were just a tough rubber
like H07RNF you can get that cheaply from www.10outof10.com -
basically a marquee or stage lighting supplier to shovel it by the
shed load. Someone on Ebay has 50m of H07RNF 1.5mm 3c for 38
currently which is rather good (might be asian manufacture which will
make seems to mean a stiffer cable compared to say Drakaflex, probably
rubber composition v ambient temperature).
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43,017
Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?

In article
,
Man at B&Q wrote:
On Aug 4, 11:42 pm, "Spamlet" wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in ...



In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 04/08/2010 08:05, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All I would like to rewire my Dad's old 'big copper bit' 85W
soldering iron with some modern silicone mains cable. All the
suppliers I've seen sell it by the reel, and I only want 3m or so. So
- any suggestions for a source? 1.0mm three-core would probably be
fine.


Any plumbers merchant will sell you some off the reel usually (for
immersion heater and CH applications)


Silicone or butyl? And in black?

d.

Buy a cheap garden extension reel and cut a bit off.


What guarantee are you prepared to offer that it will be silicone
cable?


I'll guarantee no cheap garden extension reel will be silicone cable...

--
*Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.


  #11   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 60
Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?

Hi there

js.b1 wrote:

As stated Farnell do Lapp Kabel silicone cable in 3-core. It will be
red in colour, extremely flexible, fine stranded.


Thanks for the info.


For a soldering iron you want silicone a) mainly so it does not tug on
the iron when in a stand or when in use and b) re contact temperature.
The downside of silicone is it will not slide over surfaces easily,
hence the better clothes irons with silicone cable also have it
covered in a woven fabric mesh. So a silicone iron cord might do,
although price "a bit samey".


I hadn't realised clothes irons might use silicone cable these days...


Price is not bad, I'm afraid that is what it costs unless you can find
a generic "Performance Power" or similar brand which will be about 50%
less than the Lapp Kabel kind of price. If it were just a tough rubber
like H07RNF you can get that cheaply from www.10outof10.com -
basically a marquee or stage lighting supplier to shovel it by the
shed load. Someone on Ebay has 50m of H07RNF 1.5mm 3c for £38
currently which is rather good (might be asian manufacture which will
make seems to mean a stiffer cable compared to say Drakaflex, probably
rubber composition v ambient temperature).


OK, fair enough. I'll probably put it on my list of things to buy with my
next FEC order, now I know it's there.

Cheers
Jon N


  #12   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 557
Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?


"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
...
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 04/08/2010 08:05, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All I would like to rewire my Dad's old 'big copper bit' 85W
soldering iron with some modern silicone mains cable. All the
suppliers I've seen sell it by the reel, and I only want 3m or so. So
- any suggestions for a source? 1.0mm three-core would probably be
fine.


Any plumbers merchant will sell you some off the reel usually (for
immersion heater and CH applications)


Silicone or butyl? And in black?

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.



TLC sells all they're cable by the m

  #13   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?

On Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 10:40:47 PM UTC+1, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi Dave

In article ,
The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All I would like to rewire my Dad's old 'big copper bit' 85W
soldering iron with some modern silicone mains cable. All the suppliers
I've seen sell it by the reel, and I only want 3m or so. So - any
suggestions for a source? 1.0mm three-core would probably be fine.


1mm is a bit overkill.


Yes, I know - it was just a suggested size.


Butyl will do the job as well, and is more readily available. 0.75mm - if
it will physically fit.


Really? the butyl cable I have seen is rated for 'up to 85 degrees (C)'. It
may be that it would survive momentary brushes with a soldering iron, but
(as I'm sure you know) an iron is a lot hotter than that.

Antex produce their (much smaller) soldering irons with the option of a
silicon cable or a cheaper non-silicon one. You can get the cable
separately:

http://www.rapidonline.com/1/1/2729-...ble-irons.html

but only 1.2m long, which is a bit short in this case.


http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...tyl/index.html


This sort of thing might have to do if I can't find anything else. There's a
TLC local to me - I hadn't thought about them, so thanks.

If old it would probably have been TRS rubber cable. Got a drum of that
here.


Quite possibly - it's pretty ancient. It seemed old when I first handled it
nearly 40 years ago - used it for soldering model aircraft fuel tanks...

Cheers
J^n


This is the correct link for the rapidonline site:
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equ...es/Iron-Cables
They sell Antex 1.5m silicone lead for 4.71 + P&P + VAT (12/08/2015)
  #14   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?

On Thursday, August 12, 2010 at 9:48:37 PM UTC+1, Rick Hughes wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
...
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 04/08/2010 08:05, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All I would like to rewire my Dad's old 'big copper bit' 85W
soldering iron with some modern silicone mains cable. All the
suppliers I've seen sell it by the reel, and I only want 3m or so. So
- any suggestions for a source? 1.0mm three-core would probably be
fine.


Any plumbers merchant will sell you some off the reel usually (for
immersion heater and CH applications)


Silicone or butyl? And in black?

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.



TLC sells all they're cable by the m


http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equ...es/Iron-Cables
  #15   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,168
Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?

On 12/08/2015 20:18, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 10:40:47 PM UTC+1, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi Dave

In article ,
The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All I would like to rewire my Dad's old 'big copper bit' 85W
soldering iron with some modern silicone mains cable. All the suppliers
I've seen sell it by the reel, and I only want 3m or so. So - any
suggestions for a source? 1.0mm three-core would probably be fine.

1mm is a bit overkill.


Yes, I know - it was just a suggested size.


Butyl will do the job as well, and is more readily available. 0.75mm - if
it will physically fit.


Really? the butyl cable I have seen is rated for 'up to 85 degrees (C)'. It
may be that it would survive momentary brushes with a soldering iron, but
(as I'm sure you know) an iron is a lot hotter than that.

Antex produce their (much smaller) soldering irons with the option of a
silicon cable or a cheaper non-silicon one. You can get the cable
separately:

http://www.rapidonline.com/1/1/2729-...ble-irons.html

but only 1.2m long, which is a bit short in this case.


http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...tyl/index.html


This sort of thing might have to do if I can't find anything else. There's a
TLC local to me - I hadn't thought about them, so thanks.

If old it would probably have been TRS rubber cable. Got a drum of that
here.


Quite possibly - it's pretty ancient. It seemed old when I first handled it
nearly 40 years ago - used it for soldering model aircraft fuel tanks...

Cheers
J^n


This is the correct link for the rapidonline site:
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equ...es/Iron-Cables
They sell Antex 1.5m silicone lead for 4.71 + P&P + VAT (12/08/2015)


If that's all he wants then CPC is cheaper with the postage.

http://cpc.farnell.com/antex/w021600...600/dp/AN00041


  #16   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 149
Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 12:20:58 -0700, billroberts453 wrote:

On Thursday, August 12, 2010 at 9:48:37 PM UTC+1, Rick Hughes wrote:


Did you miss this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He's probably given up waiting and taken up knitting!

--
TOJ.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CH Pipe Near Mains Cable Usenet Nutter UK diy 2 December 14th 09 08:00 PM
Broadband Cable & Mains Power Cable [email protected] UK diy 19 June 19th 07 10:20 AM
Mains cable Steve Rainbird UK diy 3 November 22nd 05 06:51 PM
Mains Cable Martin UK diy 6 November 19th 05 11:57 PM
Mains cable behind wall antgel UK diy 7 May 22nd 05 08:03 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"