Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] billroberts453@gmail.com is offline

Default source of silicone mains cable by the metre?

On Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 10:40:47 PM UTC+1, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi Dave

In article ,
The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All I would like to rewire my Dad's old 'big copper bit' 85W
soldering iron with some modern silicone mains cable. All the suppliers
I've seen sell it by the reel, and I only want 3m or so. So - any
suggestions for a source? 1.0mm three-core would probably be fine.

1mm is a bit overkill.

Yes, I know - it was just a suggested size.

Butyl will do the job as well, and is more readily available. 0.75mm - if
it will physically fit.

Really? the butyl cable I have seen is rated for 'up to 85 degrees (C)'. It
may be that it would survive momentary brushes with a soldering iron, but
(as I'm sure you know) an iron is a lot hotter than that.

Antex produce their (much smaller) soldering irons with the option of a
silicon cable or a cheaper non-silicon one. You can get the cable
separately:

http://www.rapidonline.com/1/1/2729-...ble-irons.html

but only 1.2m long, which is a bit short in this case.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...tyl/index.html

This sort of thing might have to do if I can't find anything else. There's a
TLC local to me - I hadn't thought about them, so thanks.

If old it would probably have been TRS rubber cable. Got a drum of that
here.

Quite possibly - it's pretty ancient. It seemed old when I first handled it
nearly 40 years ago - used it for soldering model aircraft fuel tanks...

Cheers
J^n

This is the correct link for the rapidonline site:
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equ...es/Iron-Cables
They sell Antex 1.5m silicone lead for £4.71 + P&P + VAT (12/08/2015)