Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris

Default 60 amp multistrand flexible 3 core mains cable?

Another question re my TIG welder. i have, thanks to kind folk on here,
sorted out a proper 60 amp single phase supply in my workshop. i have also
bought, from Farnells, some proper industrial 60 amp 3 pin 240 volt single
pahse plugs and sockets. One is a wall socket, plus 2 plugs, and one
trailing socket, the idea being to make up an extension lead if I need the
welder more than the supplied 15 foot lead length away from the wall
socket. The welder has a black rubber sheather 3 core cable on it, with an
ouytside diameter of about 16mm. the conductors, over the insulations are
about 6mm each. hefty stuff.... Where can I buy about another 20 foot of
this stuff please? Thanks. The cable sections of the likes of Farnells and
RS Components are bewilderingly complex and huge for the likes of myself!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 20:39:22 +0000, Chris
wrote:

Another question re my TIG welder. i have, thanks to kind folk on here,
sorted out a proper 60 amp single phase supply in my workshop. i have also
bought, from Farnells, some proper industrial 60 amp 3 pin 240 volt single
pahse plugs and sockets. One is a wall socket, plus 2 plugs, and one
trailing socket, the idea being to make up an extension lead if I need the
welder more than the supplied 15 foot lead length away from the wall
socket. The welder has a black rubber sheather 3 core cable on it, with an
ouytside diameter of about 16mm. the conductors, over the insulations are
about 6mm each. hefty stuff.... Where can I buy about another 20 foot of
this stuff please? Thanks. The cable sections of the likes of Farnells and
RS Components are bewilderingly complex and huge for the likes of myself!

Look at H07RNF spec. cable for this. It has neoprene insulation and
is water, oil and abrasion resistant. I believe that 10mm^2 should be
suitable for 60A.

I bought some in a smaller size for woodworking machinery needing a
30A supply some while ago from TLC. They had to order it, but would
sell less than 100m.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Chris writes:
Another question re my TIG welder. i have, thanks to kind folk on here,
sorted out a proper 60 amp single phase supply in my workshop. i have also
bought, from Farnells, some proper industrial 60 amp 3 pin 240 volt single
pahse plugs and sockets. One is a wall socket, plus 2 plugs, and one
trailing socket, the idea being to make up an extension lead if I need the
welder more than the supplied 15 foot lead length away from the wall
socket. The welder has a black rubber sheather 3 core cable on it, with an
ouytside diameter of about 16mm. the conductors, over the insulations are
about 6mm each. hefty stuff.... Where can I buy about another 20 foot of
this stuff please? Thanks. The cable sections of the likes of Farnells and
RS Components are bewilderingly complex and huge for the likes of myself!

You might find it difficult to buy less than a full drum,
but if it's possible at all, then I suspect your best chance
would be an electrical wholesaler. Some of them sell some
of the more expensive cable types by the metre, but 6mm
flex is probably too infrequently used to keep a drum in
stock for cutting up. 4mm flex (for 32A connectors) is more
commonly used (I think I have some 4mm PVC flex somewhere).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Dawson

"Dan Mills" wrote in message
Chris wrote:

about 6mm each. hefty stuff.... Where can I buy about another 20 foot of
this stuff please? Thanks. The cable sections of the likes of Farnells
and
RS Components are bewilderingly complex and huge for the likes of myself!

Try a theatre supplies company as this stuff is used for dimmer supplies
all
the time, these folks will normally sell you small quantities.
http;//www.aclighting.com or http:;//www.stageelectrics.co.uk spring to
mind.

HTH.

Regards, Dan

Try KES in Southampton 02380 704703 i think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rumble

Chris said the following on 20/12/2005 20:39:
Another question re my TIG welder. i have, thanks to kind folk on here,
sorted out a proper 60 amp single phase supply in my workshop. i have also
bought, from Farnells, some proper industrial 60 amp 3 pin 240 volt single
pahse plugs and sockets. One is a wall socket, plus 2 plugs, and one
trailing socket, the idea being to make up an extension lead if I need the
welder more than the supplied 15 foot lead length away from the wall
socket. The welder has a black rubber sheather 3 core cable on it, with an
ouytside diameter of about 16mm. the conductors, over the insulations are
about 6mm each. hefty stuff.... Where can I buy about another 20 foot of
this stuff please? Thanks. The cable sections of the likes of Farnells and
RS Components are bewilderingly complex and huge for the likes of myself!

H07RN-F 3G10 or 3G16 from

http://www.essentialsupplies.co.uk/a...Cables_98.html

http://www.directcablesystems.com/pr...section_id=113

http://www.site-electrics.co.uk/flexcab.html

http://www.cse-distributors.co.uk/ca...y-neoprene.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:19:37 +0000, Dan Mills wrote:

Chris wrote:

about 6mm each. hefty stuff.... Where can I buy about another 20 foot of
this stuff please? Thanks. The cable sections of the likes of Farnells and
RS Components are bewilderingly complex and huge for the likes of myself!

Try a theatre supplies company as this stuff is used for dimmer supplies all
the time, these folks will normally sell you small quantities.
http;//www.aclighting.com or http:;//www.stageelectrics.co.uk spring to
mind.

HTH.

Regards, Dan.

Thanks Dan, odered from them, should be here today. Very helpful they were,
too. Thanks to all the other kind folk who have offered links, advice and
info, have a great Christmas holiday and a happy and healthy New Year,
cheers guys.