Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default OT: Very, very short term car insurance

My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure it,
take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel the
insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary policy.

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure it,
take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel the
insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary policy.

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?

Don't you know how to search?
https://www.google.com/search?q=insu...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure it,
take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel the
insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary policy.

Any thoughts?

There are firms out there that do policies as short as 1 hour, or maybe
more realistically 1 day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure it,
take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel the
insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary policy.

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?

Get someone with a traders policy to take it?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure it,
take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel the
insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary policy.

Do things that are towed behind another vehicle need an MOT?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 19:21, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Do things that are towed behind another vehicle need an MOT?

Er, I meant Insurance ....

Need to go back to bed.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure it,
take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel the
insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary policy.

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?

Plenty of garages will pick up a car to take for an MOT. The bloke I
use sends his lad round and charges £55 for an MOT with pick up and
return, and he's about five miles away.

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/04/2021 19:07, Richard wrote:
On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure
it, take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel
the insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary
policy.

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?

Don't you know how to search?
https://www.google.com/search?q=insu...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Just tried that on Veygo.

And tried it a few ways around for different vehicles and drivers.

So if I lie and say my Dad is under 75 (he is just over 75) its £50 a
week for him to drive my £2000 worth of slow Skoda.

If I want to drive his more expensive and rather faster Golf for a week
it's £50

If I try it on my MD's Maserati then it does not exist on their
database. And nor did the Bentley that a premiership footballer I work
for drives (I suspect they are under a lease).

I have not yet tried it on the "special car" I posted a picture of.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/04/2021 19:15, ARW wrote:
On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure
it, take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel
the insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary
policy.

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?

Get someone with a traders policy to take it?

There are firms offering to pick the car up, MOT it, and return it. All
for £45. It sounds a bit too good to be true.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure it,
take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel the
insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary policy.

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?

OT, but I wonder what the MID situation is? Clearly he'd be legal, but
how soon does this appear on the database? Being stopped while the
insurers were contacted would be an inconvenient delay if you had an MOT
booked.

--
Cheers
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 19:27, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure
it, take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel
the insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary
policy.

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?

Plenty of garages will pick up a car to take for an MOT.* The bloke I
use sends his lad round and charges £55 for an MOT with pick up and
return, and he's about five miles away.

A friend of ours had his car picked up by the garage and MOTed. On the
way back, the driver wrote it off. The garage then claimed that the
driver should not have been driving, did not have permission and was not
covered by their insurance!

It all got sorted out in the end, but it took time and effort and being
without a car for some time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure
it, take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel
the insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary
policy.

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?

Just a thought for the OP: I've been told by two insurance companies that there is now a legal requirement for a vehicle to be insured even if it's parked on your own property and doesn't move from one year's end to the next. If you don't want to insure it, the only alternative is to SORN it (Statutory Off Road Notification).
Of course, whether anyone ever checks on these things, I've no idea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 20:28, GB wrote:
On 20/04/2021 19:15, ARW wrote:
On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure
it, take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel
the insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary
policy.

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?

Get someone with a traders policy to take it?

There are firms offering to pick the car up, MOT it, and return it. All
for £45. It sounds a bit too good to be true.

Hmmm. Let's see.
They fail the MOT and offer to do repairs.
You accept and get fleeced.
You decline, they return the car at some stage with failed MOT.

The old "if it sounds too good to be true" applies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure it,
take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel the
insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary policy.

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?

A place near us does free collection and delivery for MOT's.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure
it, take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and
cancel the insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary
policy.

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?

Just a thought for the OP: I've been told by two insurance companies
that there is now a legal requirement for a vehicle to be insured even
if it's parked on your own property and doesn't move from one year's end
to the next.

That is not true.

The owner would still be liable if the vehicle causes damage or injury,
e.g. it catches fire or rolls down a hill and hits something.

If you don't want to insure it, the only alternative is to
SORN it (Statutory Off Road Notification).

SORN is the alternative to taxing a vehicle, not insuring it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Scion
writes

On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
[...]

As with many of the government's regulations,
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles
is rather ambiguous. It says

Uninsured vehicles
Rules in England, Wales and Scotland
You must have motor insurance for your vehicle if you use it on roads
and in public places.
You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is kept off the road and
declared as off the road (SORN). This rule is called continuous
insurance enforcement.

It cunningly fails to say whether it needs insurance if it's not on the
road or in public place, but not SORNed.

Personally, I was under the impression that it now did (from a couple of
years ago).
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2021 09:01, Ian Jackson wrote:

As with many of the government's regulations,
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles
is rather ambiguous. It says

Uninsured vehicles
Rules in England, Wales and Scotland
You must have motor insurance for your vehicle if you use it on roads
and in public places.
You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is kept off the road and
declared as off the road (SORN). This rule is called continuous
insurance enforcement.

It cunningly fails to say whether it needs insurance if it's not on the
road or in public place, but not SORNed.

I think that's a bit harsh. It tells people the conditions they need to
meet to avoid the need for insurance - viz keep it off the road /and/
declare it SORN. If you want them to say e.g. "you have to do *both* to
avoid the need for insurance" then they'd have to do the same everywhere
there are 2 or more conditions else people would think there must be a
difference. I don't think that'd help.

Personally, I was under the impression that it now did (from a couple of
years ago).

Your are right. The offence of "Being the registered keeper of an
uninsured vehicle" was added to the offences for driving without insurance.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure it,
take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel the
insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary policy.

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?

Nope., I did the same. they (NFU) said it was the only way to do it

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure
it, take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel
the insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary
policy.

Do things that are towed behind another vehicle need an MOT?

Not on their way to an MOT station no, but they need insurance...

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."
- George Orwell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
[...]

But it removes the need to insure it

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 09:01:35 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Scion
writes

On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
[...]

If the requirement was to insure it at all times it would not have the
'if' clause.

You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is kept off the road and
declared as off the road (SORN). This rule is called continuous
insurance enforcement.

The car must either be taxed or SORNed. Continuous insurance enforcement
simply means that if the car is taxed you must insure it as well. If it's
permanently kept off the road you must SORN it (or continue to tax and
insure it, which would only apply in limited circumstances, valuable cars
in storage for example).

It cunningly fails to say whether it needs insurance if it's not on the
road or in public place, but not SORNed.

It does.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2021 09:25, Scion wrote:
The car must either be taxed or SORNed. Continuous insurance enforcement
simply means that if the car is taxed you must insure it as well. If it's
permanently kept off the road you must SORN it (or continue to tax and
insure it, which would only apply in limited circumstances, valuable cars
in storage for example).

Not true. a car off the road may well be insured but not taxed.
Tax and insurance are requirements for being on a public road. Off there
both are optional.

--
Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,

Ludwig von Mises
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 10:05:55 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 21/04/2021 09:25, Scion wrote:
The car must either be taxed or SORNed. Continuous insurance
enforcement simply means that if the car is taxed you must insure it as
well. If it's permanently kept off the road you must SORN it (or
continue to tax and insure it, which would only apply in limited
circumstances, valuable cars in storage for example).

Not true. a car off the road may well be insured but not taxed.
Tax and insurance are requirements for being on a public road. Off there
both are optional.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. Brain fade on my part.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2021 09:25, Scion wrote:
The car must either be taxed or SORNed. Continuous insurance enforcement
simply means that if the car is taxed you must insure it as well. If it's
permanently kept off the road you must SORN it (or continue to tax and
insure it, which would only apply in limited circumstances, valuable cars
in storage for example).

Not true. a car off the road may well be insured but not taxed.
Tax and insurance are requirements for being on a public road. Off there
both are optional.

Insurance is only optional if the car is SORN as Ian's link set out. Or
if you find that ambiguous see

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...2/section/144A

and (5)(c) in

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...2/section/144B

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 15:59:07 -0700 (PDT), Scribbles
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 9:22:00 PM UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
On 20/04/2021 19:27, Clive Arthur wrote:=20
On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:=20
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure=

=20
it, take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel=

=20
the insurance.=20
=20
There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary=20
policy.=20
=20
Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?=20
=20

Just a thought for the OP: I've been told by two insurance companies that t=
here is now a legal requirement for a vehicle to be insured even if it's pa=
rked on your own property and doesn't move from one year's end to the next.=
If you don't want to insure it, the only alternative is to SORN it (Statut=
ory Off Road Notification).
Of course, whether anyone ever checks on these things, I've no idea.

My deceased neighbour, whose family have put the car securely into the
garage, received a letter threating a penalty if immediate action
wasn't taken as the car was listed with no insurance and not being
SORN'd.

It came from askMID - refer askMID.com
--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

They'd have difficulty chasing the registered keeper unless it has been
updated!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure
it, take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel
the insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary
policy.

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?

Just a thought for the OP: I've been told by two insurance companies that
there is now a legal requirement for a vehicle to be insured even if it's
parked on your own property and doesn't move from one year's end to the
next. If you don't want to insure it, the only alternative is to SORN it
(Statutory Off Road Notification).
Of course, whether anyone ever checks on these things, I've no idea.

no *one* checks, but a computer does

fines are automatically sent out for cars without insurance that are not
SORN

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have thought that anything towed needs something as I know of several
people with pretty naff tyres on their caravan being told it was illegal.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!