View Single Post
  #16   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_9_] Ian Jackson[_9_] is offline
external usenet poster
Posts: 393
Default OT: Very, very short term car insurance

In message , Scion
On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 15:59:07 -0700, Scribbles wrote:

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 9:22:00 PM UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
On 20/04/2021 19:27, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure
it, take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and
cancel the insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?

Just a thought for the OP: I've been told by two insurance companies
that there is now a legal requirement for a vehicle to be insured even
if it's parked on your own property and doesn't move from one year's end
to the next.

That is not true.

The owner would still be liable if the vehicle causes damage or injury,
e.g. it catches fire or rolls down a hill and hits something.

If you don't want to insure it, the only alternative is to
SORN it (Statutory Off Road Notification).

SORN is the alternative to taxing a vehicle, not insuring it.

As with many of the government's regulations,
is rather ambiguous. It says

Uninsured vehicles
Rules in England, Wales and Scotland
You must have motor insurance for your vehicle if you use it on roads
and in public places.
You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is kept off the road and
declared as off the road (SORN). This rule is called €˜continuous
insurance enforcement.

It cunningly fails to say whether it needs insurance if it's not on the
road or in public place, but not SORNed.

Personally, I was under the impression that it now did (from a couple of
years ago).