Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Very, very short term car insurance

On 21/04/2021 08:35, Scion wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 15:59:07 -0700, Scribbles wrote:

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 9:22:00 PM UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
On 20/04/2021 19:27, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 20/04/2021 19:02, GB wrote:
My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure
it, take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and
cancel the insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary
policy.

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?

Just a thought for the OP: I've been told by two insurance companies
that there is now a legal requirement for a vehicle to be insured even
if it's parked on your own property and doesn't move from one year's end
to the next.

That is not true.

The owner would still be liable if the vehicle causes damage or injury,
e.g. it catches fire or rolls down a hill and hits something.

If you don't want to insure it, the only alternative is to
SORN it (Statutory Off Road Notification).

SORN is the alternative to taxing a vehicle, not insuring it.

But it removes the need to insure it

private property.

Karl Marx