Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Desk ideas

Hi All,

With a future now of working from home, we have decided to renovate our study. The current iteration of the design has some painted units along the back wall and a large desk on the opposite wall (has the entrance door to one side and rest the desk). The units we are looking to make them look like a piece of purpose built furniture and keen to also make the desk look more interesting/ like a piece of furniture rather than a piece of worktop/ board with 4 legs etc. Both I am informed I am going to be making

We are flexible on a modern vs traditional design and some ideas we have had are
1. Something that is say 900m one end narrowing down to say 400mm (2m long) and at the 400m end (where the door is) some shelves to form the leg.
2. A piece of timber which has the bark/ ragged edge still on for the front edge
3. Glass (although not particularly keen)

Anyone come across some more interesting designs/ materials used?

Thanks in advance

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

Hi All,

All hanged himself, got too many querys.

With a future now of working from home,

All you really need is soundproof cages for the kids on
the back fence line. Individual cages so they can't fight.

we have decided to renovate our study. The current
iteration of the design has some painted units along
the back wall and a large desk on the opposite wall
(has the entrance door to one side and rest the desk).
The units we are looking to make them look like a piece
of purpose built furniture and keen to also make the desk
look more interesting/ like a piece of furniture rather than
a piece of worktop/ board with 4 legs etc. Both I am informed
I am going to be making

You need to trade her in on a new bimbo.

We are flexible on a modern vs traditional
design and some ideas we have had are
1. Something that is say 900m one end narrowing
down to say 400mm (2m long) and at the 400m end
(where the door is) some shelves to form the leg.
2. A piece of timber which has the bark/
ragged edge still on for the front edge

Tad rustic.

3. Glass (although not particularly keen)

Anyone come across some more
interesting designs/ materials used?

Vlad the Impaler was into impaling his enemys on stakes and
having those tastefully arranged around the dining area.

Not clear how H&S would feel about that now tho.

Thanks in advance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Mar 2021 20:23:19 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2021 08:11, wrote:
[...]

I got my computer desk from a company called 21st Century Antiques; a
Winchester business that didn't actually make it into the 21st Century.
It is in the style of a Victorian kneehole writing desk, similar to this:

https://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/78...-writing-desk/

but finished in English yew veneer. What appears to be three drawers in
the left pedestal is a cupboard to hold the computer and a printer. The
centre drawer front fold down and a keyboard platform slides out. That
has another platform underneath, which slides out to the side for the
mouse mat. Two brass plates at the back of the desk top allow cables to
come up to the monitor.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2021 08:11, wrote:
[...]

I use an old fire door that came out of Boots Brighton refurb,
slightly reduced in width and length that sits on battens at
each end screwed to opposite walls of my little 3rd bedroom,
up against the window wall.

Rubbed down and polished with button polish it looks OK. The
edges are fully finished with the same hardwood as the faces
so all I had to do was use an offcut to infill where the
hinges were.

Being a fire door it takes my weight if I need to clean the
window and allows moveable storage arrangements underneath.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

I use an old fire door that came out of Boots Brighton refurb
Being a fire door it takes my weight if I need to clean the
window and allows moveable storage arrangements underneath.

I used 40mmx3mx1m butcher block, it's supported on battens around four
walls, similarly it'll take my weight, the plastic drawer units left and
right underneath can be pulled out.

http://andyburns.uk/misc/desk.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Andrew wrote:

I use an old fire door that came out of Boots Brighton refurb
Being a fire door it takes my weight if I need to clean the
window and allows moveable storage arrangements underneath.

I used 40mmx3mx1m butcher block, it's supported on battens around four
walls, similarly it'll take my weight, the plastic drawer units left
and right underneath can be pulled out.

http://andyburns.uk/misc/desk.jpg

Nice!

Any sources for *slot in* file drawers?

The entire desk offering on the Viking site has just been rejected by my
wife who has opted for me to make! a matching larger version of her
nested Oak tables.
The files are to be fitted in the boxed off alcove next to her dormer
window. Shelving I can do.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2021 14:44, Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew wrote:

I use an old fire door that came out of Boots Brighton refurb
Being a fire door it takes my weight if I need to clean the
window and allows moveable storage arrangements underneath.

I used 40mmx3mx1m butcher block, it's supported on battens around four
walls, similarly it'll take my weight, the plastic drawer units left and
right underneath can be pulled out.

http://andyburns.uk/misc/desk.jpg

Nice.

I have a similar arrangement where the old fire door is
under the window at a slightly higher desk height than normal
about 80cms and is 70cms wide, then a cut down 'egg box' sapele
door, about 75cms wide by 160 cms long is sitting
on battens on the opposite wall and hangs under the fire
door which it uses to support its 'window' end. The egg box
'desk' is surprisingly strong, though I haven't tested it
with my weight, and don't intend to. Being sapele it has
finished edges unlike egg box doors intended to be painted.
It came out well with button polish and plenty of elbow
grease.

Both doors were skip-dives, so quite econonomical other
than time, fittings and rubbing down, fettling and
finishing.

All the timber sections in yours go the same way which
means the bit under the window is potentially weaker. Is
there something below to support it ?. Is this solid
wood or does it have a strong chipboard core or some
sort of laminated construction ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Any sources for *slot in* file drawers?

No, I did look for something that could be slung below the desk, but
ended up a single-width and a double-width version of these, all in
smokey black plastic and removed the castors.

https://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/tTower6x4l.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

I use an old fire door that came out of Boots Brighton refurb
Being a fire door it takes my weight if I need to clean the
window and allows moveable storage arrangements underneath.

I used 40mmx3mx1m butcher block, it's supported on battens around four
walls, similarly it'll take my weight, the plastic drawer units left
and right underneath can be pulled out.

http://andyburns.uk/misc/desk.jpg

Nice.

I have a similar arrangement where the old fire door is
under the window at a slightly higher desk height than normal
about 80cms and is 70cms wide, then a cut down 'egg box' sapele
door, about 75cms wide by 160 cms long is sitting
on battens on the opposite wall and hangs under the fire

That should say the adjacent (party) wall, so the two
form an L shaped desk

door which it uses to support its 'window' end. The egg box
'desk' is surprisingly strong, though I haven't tested it
with my weight, and don't intend to. Being sapele it has
finished edges unlike egg box doors intended to be painted.
It came out well with button polish and plenty of elbow
grease.

Both doors were skip-dives, so quite econonomical other
than time, fittings and rubbing down, fettling and
finishing.

All the timber sections in yours go the same way which
means the bit under the window is potentially weaker. Is
there something below to support it ?. Is this solid
wood or does it have a strong chipboard core or some
sort of laminated construction ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

All the timber sections in yours go the same way which
means the bit under the window is potentially weaker. Is
there something below to support it ?

Just a batten all around the edges.

There's a join between two sections roughly where the back of the chair
hides the desk, it has 5 lengths of 15mm oak dowel in it.

Is this solid wood or does it have a strong chipboard core or some
sort of laminated construction ?

solid oak, finger jointed (breakfast bar stuff).

Really should tidy up all that wiring, it keeps growing, originally I
fitted some ikea suspended cable baskets under the desk, and it all
emerged to the top through desk grommets, then I removed them and they
never made it back yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2021 08:11, wrote:
Hi All,

With a future now of working from home, we have decided to renovate
our study. The current iteration of the design has some painted
units along the back wall and a large desk on the opposite wall (has
the entrance door to one side and rest the desk). The units we are
looking to make them look like a piece of purpose built furniture and
keen to also make the desk look more interesting/ like a piece of
furniture rather than a piece of worktop/ board with 4 legs etc. Both
I am informed I am going to be making

Mine was a former corporate office desk in near perfect condition that
work was throwing out to replace with modern stylish furniture (which
fell apart inside ten years). Buyer collects. That was 4 decades ago.

We are flexible on a modern vs traditional design and some ideas we
have had are 1. Something that is say 900m one end narrowing down to
say 400mm (2m long) and at the 400m end (where the door is) some
shelves to form the leg. 2. A piece of timber which has the bark/
ragged edge still on for the front edge 3. Glass (although not
particularly keen)

Mine is 1.6m x 1m. I'd skip the modesty screen on the back if I was
making it from scratch and knew it would be against a wall. Another
option to consider is a hinged gateleg table type arrangement that lies
flat against the wall with its legs hidden when not in use. That way you
can get your spare bedroom back when visitors are allowed again.

TBH it is worth having a look in Ikea or similar once that is allowed.

Anyone come across some more interesting designs/ materials used?

Mahogany (or these days hardwood imitation) faced ply looks nice. Don't
underestimate the amount of real estate you need for printers and
scanners. Mine has drawers either side of the working space and pull out
trays for paper clips and stationary to sit in. Only thing wrong with it
is that it is steel frame and very heavy so it doesn't get moved much.

Word of advice. Make the front edge smooth and comfortable to rest your
arms on. Bark sounds nice and rustic until you catch your hand on it.
3mm rounded edges are about right if you intend to work at it a lot.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 March 2021 at 08:06:47 UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Does it matter unless you are recreating a virtual board room or something?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks very much all for your suggestions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2021 08:11, wrote:
[...]

I picked mine up for (IIRC) a tenner from a closing down office in
Bristol in the 1970's that dated from the time of Dickens. It was
designed as a two person desk, it is 5'6 wide and 4' deep. Three pieces:
two pedestals with cupboards one end, drawers the other. Simple flat
top. Probably inter-war. Room for a tower desktop, two A4 printers, HP
server, NAS drive, Konica Dimage scanner (which sits on top of the HK
bass unit), Canon flatbed scanner sitting on top of the tower. Two
monitors (23" and 25") on swivel stand, mounted on a riser that I can
slide an unused laptop or full sized keyboard under.

I routinely use it with the desktop and two laptops "open", using
bluetooth keyboards and mice for the laptops and usually displaying one
of them on the second screen. That still leaves room for a couple of
open A4 files on the desk.

Ideas for Supporting Fold down table/desk from closed Murphy Bed SMS Home Repair 11 January 15th 13 05:59 PM
Desk edging and coating (design ideas?) Mike Dodd UK diy 3 September 30th 07 11:10 PM
Wall to wall computer desk (2 stations) - ideas? Mike Dodd UK diy 29 December 30th 05 08:44 PM
Desk Ideas sharkmont Woodworking 10 August 19th 05 03:12 AM
dream computer desk - looking for ideas Max Woodworking 13 March 21st 05 11:39 PM