sharkmont

Default Desk Ideas

Hi guys I am an avid computer enthusiast as well as an amateur
woodworker. I have been planning to construct a large U-shaped desk
for my computer projects / and other work. The lengths will be
8'x12'x8'. I was wondering what kind of material would be best for
this type of undertaking and if there were any examples of something
this size being done before. I am not too interested in creating
intricate cabinetry but rather just having a large durable workspace.

Thanks so much!
-Alex

WillR

sharkmont wrote:
Hi guys I am an avid computer enthusiast as well as an amateur
woodworker. I have been planning to construct a large U-shaped desk
for my computer projects / and other work. The lengths will be
8'x12'x8'. I was wondering what kind of material would be best for
this type of undertaking and if there were any examples of something
this size being done before. I am not too interested in creating
intricate cabinetry but rather just having a large durable workspace.
=20
Thanks so much!
-Alex
=20

Have a look at the computer desk here. I added on to the original=20
commercial unit -- desk and hutch.
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...furniture.htm=

Plywood (3/4 and 5/8) -- rotary sawn oak -- from the borg -- terrible=20
stuff. Good plywood is available at decent suppliers though.

The drawers use the euro-slides. They are stopped groove construction=20
for the front and back. Plywood inset in a groove for the bottoms.

I made oak trim and steamed and bent it for the curved cutouts on the leg=
s.

Pickled oak stain by Minwax, and a water based Minwax poly for the top co=
at.

It's light, durable and simple.

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Lew Hodgett

sharkmont wrote:
Hi guys I am an avid computer enthusiast as well as an amateur
woodworker.

Take a look at the NYW plan.

It's pretty neat.

Lew
sharkmont

Thank you both for your help, here is my inspiration -
http://starsnbars.mystarband.net/Mydesk1.jpg . I am just trying to
figure out how to do something similar with the proper materials and
how to have support for whatever material I use for the top.

Thanks!
-Alex

Gary A in KC

I built a desk from a Woodsmith plan years ago. You can build it in multiple
sections (I did the corner and 2 wings) so it would fit perfectly with the
sample link you provided. I substituted some good wood veneers for the
plastic laminates (used pomelle sapele for the wings and it gives an
incredible look).
Plans are still available at http://plansnow.com/compdesk1.html

Gary in KC

"sharkmont" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi guys I am an avid computer enthusiast as well as an amateur
woodworker. I have been planning to construct a large U-shaped desk
for my computer projects / and other work. The lengths will be
8'x12'x8'. I was wondering what kind of material would be best for
this type of undertaking and if there were any examples of something
this size being done before. I am not too interested in creating
intricate cabinetry but rather just having a large durable workspace.

Thanks so much!
-Alex

rob

I build a curved desk, smaller than you want, but you can expand my
design. Its basically two sheets of plywood, wall cleats and support
legs. Lots of room for computers under the desk.

Check out the steps to build it and final pics he

http://www.clsid.com/nsw/desk

rob

WillR

sharkmont wrote:
Thank you both for your help, here is my inspiration -
http://starsnbars.mystarband.net/Mydesk1.jpg . I am just trying to
figure out how to do something similar with the proper materials and
how to have support for whatever material I use for the top.
=20
Thanks!
-Alex
=20

Looks pretty straightforward actually. They probably used MDF -- plywood =

is lighter -- take your pick.

Make a drawing and build it a section at a time.

Have fun.

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
sharkmont

Thank you all for your help in finding some plans / ideas. I think
that I might go with MDF board for the top, however my only concern is
support for the top. The long 12 foot section stretches right in front
of a window and probably won't be receiving any wall support. I was
wondering if you guys could provide some ideas for structural support.

Thanks a lot!
-Alex

WillR

sharkmont wrote:
Thank you all for your help in finding some plans / ideas. I think
that I might go with MDF board for the top, however my only concern is
support for the top. The long 12 foot section stretches right in front=

of a window and probably won't be receiving any wall support. I was
wondering if you guys could provide some ideas for structural support.
=20
=20
Thanks a lot!
-Alex
=20

Attach edging such that the piece forms an "I-Beam"

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Andy Dingley

On 17 Aug 2005 21:13:45 -0700, "sharkmont"
wrote:

I was wondering what kind of material would be best for
this type of undertaking

Steel and MDF.

Use square box under the front edge to support it (2" x1") and 1/2" MDF
on top. Good plywood is strong enough not to need the steel
strengthener, but it's also a bit "bouncy". MDF is better damped, but
you do need to support it against long term sagging.

Don't use particle board.

Don't use solid timber, unless you have the skill to do it right - a
desk isn't that easy in solid.

Here's a really nice desk that took almost no effort to build.
http://www.jarkman.co.uk/catalog/fur...rofoildesk.htm
It's just MDF with a jigsaw, a pencil and a lot of sketching out designs
first. Matt black paint and then wax is a good hard-wearing finish for
desks.

Robatoy

In article ,
WillR wrote:

Make a drawing and build it a section at a time.

Make a scale drawing...paste it on foam core board cut it out.. some
tape or crazy glue.....
Build it, look at it, turn it, modify it with a razor blade.

How to attach metal legs to wooden desk Lee Woodworking 3 July 25th 05 04:32 PM
dream computer desk - looking for ideas Max Woodworking 13 March 21st 05 11:39 PM
MDF Desk top Robert Rushing Woodworking 8 September 9th 04 03:55 AM
Desk Top suggestion Riley Woodworking 6 March 8th 04 10:30 PM
Where can I find info on desk design? Blue Woodworking 8 November 28th 03 04:54 PM