Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Desk ideas

On 19/03/2021 08:11, wrote:
Hi All,

With a future now of working from home, we have decided to renovate our study. The current iteration of the design has some painted units along the back wall and a large desk on the opposite wall (has the entrance door to one side and rest the desk). The units we are looking to make them look like a piece of purpose built furniture and keen to also make the desk look more interesting/ like a piece of furniture rather than a piece of worktop/ board with 4 legs etc. Both I am informed I am going to be making

We are flexible on a modern vs traditional design and some ideas we have had are
1. Something that is say 900m one end narrowing down to say 400mm (2m long) and at the 400m end (where the door is) some shelves to form the leg.
2. A piece of timber which has the bark/ ragged edge still on for the front edge
3. Glass (although not particularly keen)

Anyone come across some more interesting designs/ materials used?

Thanks in advance

Lee.

I use an old fire door that came out of Boots Brighton refurb,
slightly reduced in width and length that sits on battens at
each end screwed to opposite walls of my little 3rd bedroom,
up against the window wall.

Rubbed down and polished with button polish it looks OK. The
edges are fully finished with the same hardwood as the faces
so all I had to do was use an offcut to infill where the
hinges were.

Being a fire door it takes my weight if I need to clean the
window and allows moveable storage arrangements underneath.