Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Desk ideas

On 19/03/2021 08:11, wrote:
Hi All,

With a future now of working from home, we have decided to renovate
our study. The current iteration of the design has some painted
units along the back wall and a large desk on the opposite wall (has
the entrance door to one side and rest the desk). The units we are
looking to make them look like a piece of purpose built furniture and
keen to also make the desk look more interesting/ like a piece of
furniture rather than a piece of worktop/ board with 4 legs etc. Both
I am informed I am going to be making

Mine was a former corporate office desk in near perfect condition that
work was throwing out to replace with modern stylish furniture (which
fell apart inside ten years). Buyer collects. That was 4 decades ago.

We are flexible on a modern vs traditional design and some ideas we
have had are 1. Something that is say 900m one end narrowing down to
say 400mm (2m long) and at the 400m end (where the door is) some
shelves to form the leg. 2. A piece of timber which has the bark/
ragged edge still on for the front edge 3. Glass (although not
particularly keen)

Mine is 1.6m x 1m. I'd skip the modesty screen on the back if I was
making it from scratch and knew it would be against a wall. Another
option to consider is a hinged gateleg table type arrangement that lies
flat against the wall with its legs hidden when not in use. That way you
can get your spare bedroom back when visitors are allowed again.

TBH it is worth having a look in Ikea or similar once that is allowed.

Anyone come across some more interesting designs/ materials used?

Mahogany (or these days hardwood imitation) faced ply looks nice. Don't
underestimate the amount of real estate you need for printers and
scanners. Mine has drawers either side of the working space and pull out
trays for paper clips and stationary to sit in. Only thing wrong with it
is that it is steel frame and very heavy so it doesn't get moved much.

Word of advice. Make the front edge smooth and comfortable to rest your
arms on. Bark sounds nice and rustic until you catch your hand on it.
3mm rounded edges are about right if you intend to work at it a lot.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown