Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT? Electric shavers

It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did
but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt. Ergo
spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you
like on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 13:32, R D S wrote:
It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did
but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt. Ergo
spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you
like on.

The unshaven look is modern and 'cool' :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 26 January 2021 at 13:32:44 UTC, R D S wrote:
It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did
but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt. Ergo
spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you
like on.

I use a Philips which can be used wet or dry. Works OK for me but I intensely dislike the cost of new blade sets.

They produce an incredible range of almost indistinguishable models. Some at unbelievably high prices.

My current one is a 3000 series and I think it represents the bottom end of the top end models. If you see what I mean! I don't think you get much more however high you go. But lower models don't conform to your face quite as well.

From time to time Lidl and Aldi have them - e.g. https://www.aldi.co.uk/philips-wet-d...06992421109100
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 13:32:39 +0000, R D S wrote:

It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did
but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt. Ergo
spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you
like on.

I bought a Chinese 'Philips look a like' shaver off Amazon, with three
rotating heads. Works very well and at a quarter of the Philips cost. This
one has the advantage of 5v USB charging and not the awkward Philips 15v
charger.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S explained :
Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did but I
don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt. Ergo spending
half my time looking like a scruff.

Just wear a covid face mask, no one will notice.

I only now bother having a shave, in the bath. I usually have around
two per week, then shower the other days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking jon wrote :
I bought a Chinese 'Philips look a like' shaver off Amazon, with three
rotating heads. Works very well and at a quarter of the Philips cost. This
one has the advantage of 5v USB charging and not the awkward Philips 15v
charger.

I think I have the same/similar one from Lidl. Paid around £20 for it a
couple of years ago. I also have a Philips. The Lidl one is every bit
as good as the Philips.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 14:39, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I only now bother having a shave, in the bath. I usually have around two
per week, then shower the other days.

I would do the same, I could get away with shaving in the bath 1/2 times
per week. But lately I find I just can't be arsed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 13:39, Andrew wrote:

The unshaven look is modern and 'cool' :-)

Not when it's 2 weeks or more and you're fat and grey!

I probably look homeless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 13:48, polygonum_on_google wrote:

They produce an incredible range of almost indistinguishable models. Some at unbelievably high prices.

Same with Braun electric toothbrushes - what do they add to a £35 model
to sell for £500

https://www.boots.com/oral-b-pro-200...braun-10176433

https://www.boots.com/electrical/ele...braun-10285215

Even at £35 it works no better than some other brands costing £15

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 13:32, R D S wrote:
It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did
but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt. Ergo
spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you
like on.

Remington cheepo is fine ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 16:31, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 26/01/2021 13:32, R D S wrote:
It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once
did but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking
unkempt. Ergo spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you
like on.

Remington cheepo is fine ....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remington...AOSwlXJfy0T O
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 13:32:39 +0000, R D S wrote:

It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did
but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt. Ergo
spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you
like on.

I use a Philips 3 cutter one fromn Argos, about 40-odd quid. Had it for 3
or 4 years.

I bought a cutter sharpening kit that I use every 3 months. No other
outlay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 14:47, R D S wrote:
On 26/01/2021 13:39, Andrew wrote:

The unshaven look is modern and 'cool' :-)

Not when it's 2 weeks or more and you're fat and grey!

I probably look homeless.

Why not use clippers? They keep the growth to the same length and I
might suggest you use once or twice a week.

I wouldn't call "designer" grey stubble unkempt. It's also softer to the
touch than short stubble. Ladies prefer it, IE they don't get a rash!
:-) [1]

The slightly fuller face might also be a distraction for weight
elsewhere :-)

[1] I can understand why some might like to keep a beard at a more
bristly abrasive stage of growth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 13:32, R D S wrote:
It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt. Ergo spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you like on.

The basic choice is between vibrating (reciprocating blade) and rotary head ones. I have tried both and prefer the rotary ones, which may not get quite such a close shave but cope much better with hairs which grow at odd angles. I have a Philips one somewhere in the middle of the price range (can't remember which model but one that is almost certainly no longer on sale). But like most it says made in China. I was able to find 3rd party cutter heads and foils which were much cheaper than the official ones and seem to work ok.

--
Clive Page

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 13:32, R D S wrote:
It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did
but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt. Ergo
spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you
like on.

The costlier ones are marketed for the sensitive skin types, or for
young BMW owners looking at the very similar graphics used in advertising.

I've got a cheap Braun "Series 3" side-to-side. It's a bit of an angle
grinder, in the the motor has a lot of torque. But it's not a close
shave, so gets used often.

In the past I found Philips rotary motors were pretty weak, and the
cutting heads pretty fiddly to strip down and clean - washing them not
really effective. Closer shave though, but expensive.

It was a £200 model RRP (who pays that?) reduced to £99 in some Boots
promotion that, on closer looks when I got it home, looked like someone
had sanitized and repackaged their returns.

Actually, I'm never buying Philips again.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 13:32, R D S wrote:
It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did
but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt. Ergo
spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you
like on.

If you want a decent shave, stick to wet shaving. I've had a few
electric razors over the years, but have always given up and gone back
to wet shaving.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 16:52:59 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

snip

I bought a cutter sharpening kit that I use every 3 months. No other
outlay.

Does the sharpening kit work well? Which one did you get?

I've decided that rotary rather than linear shavers do a better job on my
face. I've gone through three in maybe 12 years; when they start getting
blunt the replacement cutters cost almost as much as a new shaver.

If the sharpening kit does a good job I'll give it a go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 26/01/2021 21:39, Roger Mills wrote:
On 26/01/2021 13:32, R D S wrote:
It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once
did but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking
unkempt. Ergo spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you
like on.

If you want a decent shave, stick to wet shaving. I've had a few
electric razors over the years, but have always given up and gone back
to wet shaving.

As an aside the rotary shavers are easy to dismantle and sharpen the
`blades` every so often, like once a year. Lots of tutorials on utube.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roger Mills
wrote:
On 26/01/2021 13:32, R D S wrote:
It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did
but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt.
Ergo spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you
like on.

If you want a decent shave, stick to wet shaving. I've had a few
electric razors over the years, but have always given up and gone back
to wet shaving.

+1

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 13:32, R D S wrote:
It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once
did but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking
unkempt. Ergo spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you
like on.

If you want a decent shave, stick to wet shaving. I've had a few
electric razors over the years, but have always given up and gone back
to wet shaving.

+1

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 13:48, polygonum_on_google wrote:

They produce an incredible range of almost indistinguishable models. Some at unbelievably high prices.

That takes me back.
I had a Philips electric shaver over 20 years ago, bought replacement
blades from boots, Philips branded, 'fits all Philishave.....'

Well they didn't fit mine. And I had to get shirty when they wouldn't
accept a return because i'd opened the packet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes indeed you can and unfortunately the modern ones seem not to be able to
run when on the mains, only after the charge has ended.
Although not really Philips any more they do seem to work well and are easy
to clean and don't need a mortgage to buy one. I also think if you have a
very tough beard, some of the Remington's are good. The only Baun one I had
fell to bits in a year, and so did the cheap Remington seemingly being held
together by glue.

I think the rotary ones work best for me at least, and some include other
cutters to help in difficult places but I'd not go for those which need
consumables, as that seems to be just a racket like printer ink is.

Rechargeable batteries don't last as long as one might expect, so often its
a bin job when they only start to last a few mins on a charge as the serial
cells that go down first get reverse charged by the rest and knacker very
fast after that.

I think the Philips trimmers are more efficient than most which tend to
stall.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"R D S" wrote in message
It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did
but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt. Ergo
spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you like
on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I got mine in the Amazon sale.
If you clean them regularly, they do not often need new blades, its
normally crap in the heads that is the issue. On some you end up having to
buy the complete head assembly, Philips are less annoying as you can change
the cutters.

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
[...]

From time to time Lidl and Aldi have them - e.g.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/philips-wet-d...06992421109100

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes its like wireless headphones. Have you seen the price of the new over
the ear Apple ones? over 500 quid. I think as with most things, if somebody
wants to spend that money its up to them. Shavers seem to be just one of
many items with wildly varying prices.

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 26/01/2021 13:48, polygonum_on_google wrote:

They produce an incredible range of almost indistinguishable models. Some
at unbelievably high prices.

Same with Braun electric toothbrushes - what do they add to a £35 model to
sell for £500

https://www.boots.com/oral-b-pro-200...braun-10176433

https://www.boots.com/electrical/ele...braun-10285215

Even at £35 it works no better than some other brands costing £15

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2021 10:59, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
But if you have a beard you cannot go out as a face mask is pointless.
Brian

Clippers can get short enough to look like a days growth or less, more
clean shaven than a beard.

Anyway Covid masks work fine with a beard, it is DIY P3 masks that are
not so good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 14:45, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking jon wrote :
I bought a Chinese 'Philips look a like' shaver off Amazon, with three
rotating heads. Works very well and at a quarter of the Philips cost.
This
one has the advantage of 5v USB charging and not the awkward Philips 15v
charger.

I think I have the same/similar one from Lidl. Paid around £20 for it a
couple of years ago. I also have a Philips. The Lidl one is every bit as
good as the Philips.

Good call, i'm in no rush, i'll keep an eye out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking jon wrote :
I bought a Chinese 'Philips look a like' shaver off Amazon, with three
rotating heads. Works very well and at a quarter of the Philips cost.
This one has the advantage of 5v USB charging and not the awkward
Philips 15v charger.

I think I have the same/similar one from Lidl. Paid around £20 for it a
couple of years ago. I also have a Philips. The Lidl one is every bit
as good as the Philips.

I bought a Remington rotary from Lidl. A very long time ago - and it still
works. Heads have been re sharpened many times, and the (Li-Ion) battery
is on its last legs.

Looking for a replacement.

--
*WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 14:12:57 -0000 (UTC), jon wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 13:32:39 +0000, R D S wrote:

It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did
but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt. Ergo
spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you
like on.

I bought a Chinese 'Philips look a like' shaver off Amazon, with three
rotating heads. Works very well and at a quarter of the Philips cost. This
one has the advantage of 5v USB charging and not the awkward Philips 15v
charger.

I read somewhere that Philips 'reshored' production of shavers from
China to the Netherlands because the quality from China was not as
good. Apparently the workers at the Dutch factory were surprised by
the news.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
On 26/01/2021 13:48, polygonum_on_google wrote:

They produce an incredible range of almost indistinguishable models. Some at unbelievably high prices.

That takes me back.
I had a Philips electric shaver over 20 years ago, bought replacement
blades from boots, Philips branded, 'fits all Philishave.....'

Well they didn't fit mine. And I had to get shirty when they wouldn't
accept a return because i'd opened the packet.

With the rotary Philips type, sharpen the cutters using a bit of plate
glass (flat) and a decent metal polish like Solvol Autosol. Works a treat,
and you can do this many times before they need replacement. Indeed my
ancient one has never had replacements. Just as well given they cost near
the same as a complete new shaver.

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

But a swine when you want to go to sleep.

Not a problem here, I mow mine back to a stubble every time.

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 26/01/2021 13:32, R D S wrote:
It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did
but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt. Ergo
spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you
like on.

The unshaven look is modern and 'cool' :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

But if you have a beard you cannot go out as a face mask is pointless.

That’s not true either, most of the breathing goes thru
the mask as it does with an individual with no beard

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 26/01/2021 14:47, R D S wrote:
On 26/01/2021 13:39, Andrew wrote:

The unshaven look is modern and 'cool' :-)

Not when it's 2 weeks or more and you're fat and grey!

I probably look homeless.

Why not use clippers? They keep the growth to the same length and I might
suggest you use once or twice a week.

I wouldn't call "designer" grey stubble unkempt. It's also softer to the
touch than short stubble. Ladies prefer it, IE they don't get a rash! :-)
[1]

The slightly fuller face might also be a distraction for weight elsewhere
:-)

[1] I can understand why some might like to keep a beard at a more
bristly abrasive stage of growth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 06:34:05 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile sociopath's latest troll**** unread

--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 06:32:19 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile sociopath's latest troll**** unread

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 26/01/2021 13:48, polygonum_on_google wrote:

They produce an incredible range of almost indistinguishable models. Some
at unbelievably high prices.

Same with Braun electric toothbrushes - what do they add to a £35 model to
sell for £500

https://www.boots.com/oral-b-pro-200...braun-10176433

https://www.boots.com/electrical/ele...braun-10285215

Even at £35 it works no better than some other brands costing £15

Its called Veblen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scion" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 16:52:59 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

snip

I bought a cutter sharpening kit that I use every 3 months. No other
outlay.

Does the sharpening kit work well? Which one did you get?

I wondered same

One of the options that I found was simply a mirror and some cream

couldn't be bothered with that faff

But the "tools" don't describe how the should be used, so may be even more
faff

I've decided that rotary rather than linear shavers do a better job on my
face. I've gone through three in maybe 12 years; when they start getting
blunt the replacement cutters cost almost as much as a new shaver.

Yup

BTDTGTTS

I've tried buying from online site as more reasonable prices, but they are
knock-offs that are no better that the worn out heads I'm trying to replace,

The ads say "Genuine Philips replacement heads", I've come to conclude that
should be interpreted as replacement heads for genuine Philips shavers

not that the heads are genuine Philips ones

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 13:32, R D S wrote:
It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did
but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt. Ergo
spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you
like on.

If you want a decent shave, stick to wet shaving. I've had a few electric
razors over the years, but have always given up and gone back to wet
shaving.

As an aside the rotary shavers are easy to dismantle and sharpen the
`blades` every so often, like once a year. Lots of tutorials on utube.

given that the official blurb is that heads should be replaced every *month*
sharpening once per year doesn't seem frequent enough

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2021 10:21, tim... wrote:

"ss" wrote in message

[snip]

As an aside the rotary shavers are easy to dismantle and sharpen the
`blades` every so often, like once a year. Lots of tutorials on utube.

given that the official blurb is that heads should be replaced every
*month* sharpening once per year doesn't seem frequent enough

Every month ??????

Don't know what brand you're using but the instructions for my Philips
shaver say to replace every two years.

In practice I ignore that and continue using the same heads until I
notice a deterioration and usually get at least 3 years out of them.

Before switching to Philips rotary I used Braun shavers with
reciprocating cutters and flexible foils. These used to fail
dramatically when the cutters wore through the foil and tore holes in
it. The Philips heads are *much* more robust and shave as close as the
Braun did with it's micro thin foil.

Electric Shavers: Design/function vs. performance Existential Angst[_2_] Home Repair 28 December 29th 12 09:16 PM
OT - electric shavers? Lobster UK diy 21 November 17th 07 12:04 PM
Electric shavers - feedback F UK diy 14 September 11th 06 10:54 PM
Electric shavers Dave Baker UK diy 14 August 2nd 06 10:45 AM
Which le better electric or blade shavers? Kate Fights, I Cry Electronics 5 May 12th 05 11:37 AM