Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT? Electric shavers

In article ,
tim... wrote:
As an aside the rotary shavers are easy to dismantle and sharpen the
`blades` every so often, like once a year. Lots of tutorials on utube.

given that the official blurb is that heads should be replaced every
*month* sharpening once per year doesn't seem frequent enough

Have you checked on genuine replacement heads? Often cost not far short of
a new razor complete. Even worse than genuine printer carts. ;-)

--
*Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
As an aside the rotary shavers are easy to dismantle and sharpen the
`blades` every so often, like once a year. Lots of tutorials on utube.

given that the official blurb is that heads should be replaced every
*month* sharpening once per year doesn't seem frequent enough

Have you checked on genuine replacement heads? Often cost not far short of
a new razor complete.

my other post said that already

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
On 29/01/2021 10:21, tim... wrote:

"ss" wrote in message

[snip]

As an aside the rotary shavers are easy to dismantle and sharpen the
`blades` every so often, like once a year. Lots of tutorials on utube.

given that the official blurb is that heads should be replaced every
*month* sharpening once per year doesn't seem frequent enough

Every month ??????

Don't know what brand you're using but the instructions for my Philips
shaver say to replace every two years.

I can't remember where I saw it

but my own experience is that the closeness of the cut *does* deteriorate
noticeably after that short a period

My most recent Philips purchase was of a new lightweight type where the
transformer is in the plug, not in the body. It died completely after less
than two years

So I decided not to repeat that model and bought the Remington 3 head -
which is dreadful at collecting long hairs and gives an overall poor shave,
new heads or not. I have to take these hairs off with the trimmer and then
shave again

Good job I don't have to impress anybody with my close shave :-)

In practice I ignore that and continue using the same heads until I notice
a deterioration

as above

I really do notice a deterioration after that short period

I then don't notice any further deterioration over a number of years

and usually get at least 3 years out of them.

Before switching to Philips rotary I used Braun shavers with reciprocating
cutters and flexible foils. These used to fail dramatically when the
cutters wore through the foil and tore holes in it.

This is their failure mode

The Philips heads are *much* more robust and shave as close as the Braun
did with it's micro thin foil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 3:40:45 PM UTC, tim... wrote:
"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
On 29/01/2021 10:21, tim... wrote:

"ss" wrote in message

[snip]

[...]

I've used a Braun for years, Originally just the foil could be replaced. Then you had to buy it with its frame work Now you have to buy the whole bloody head. Braun are a greedy shower. (see the price they charge for their cleaning fluid)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 16:11:35 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
R D S wrote:
On 26/01/2021 13:48, polygonum_on_google wrote:

They produce an incredible range of almost indistinguishable models. Some at unbelievably high prices.

That takes me back.
I had a Philips electric shaver over 20 years ago, bought replacement
blades from boots, Philips branded, 'fits all Philishave.....'

Well they didn't fit mine. And I had to get shirty when they wouldn't
accept a return because i'd opened the packet.

With the rotary Philips type, sharpen the cutters using a bit of plate
glass (flat) and a decent metal polish like Solvol Autosol. Works a treat,
and you can do this many times before they need replacement. Indeed my
ancient one has never had replacements. Just as well given they cost near
the same as a complete new shaver.

I'm in the midst of tyding up old papers and came across the booklet
and receipt for my Philips Rotary. July 1984 Philishave HP1605 mains
powered I used to have one of those little sharpening gadgets from a
previous shaver which was basically a bit of emery in a cylinder. So
I've sharpened the blades on a stone and more recently tried the
diamond credit card sharpener, very gently.

It's not brilliant now so I have a 7 'o' clock shadow unless I spend
ages. I've had to pull a couple of blades out as they were catching.

I do have a later battery Philishave which only gets used when I'm
travelling which is occasional at best and zero at the moment. It
does give a smarter shave than the old one.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Feb 2021 12:51:04 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 16:11:35 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
R D S wrote:
[...]

These vary a lot in price, and I think mine came from Canada. But they
have lasted years (and two or three razors), so cheaper than new cutters!

Obviously you need to select the right ones, but this is a starting point:

https://www.amazon.com/Vollco-VSH-3-...eplacement/dp/
B005PMY0CM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I'm in the midst of tyding up old papers and came across the booklet
and receipt for my Philips Rotary. July 1984 Philishave HP1605 mains
powered I used to have one of those little sharpening gadgets from a
previous shaver which was basically a bit of emery in a cylinder. So
I've sharpened the blades on a stone and more recently tried the
diamond credit card sharpener, very gently.

It's not brilliant now so I have a 7 'o' clock shadow unless I spend
ages. I've had to pull a couple of blades out as they were catching.

You really do need a *very* fine abrasive to sharpen them fully. By all
means use something coarse to start with - but finish off with Solvol
Autosol on a bit of flat glass. There may well be other polishes that work
as well, though.

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Feb 2021 15:12:13 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I'm in the midst of tyding up old papers and came across the booklet
and receipt for my Philips Rotary. July 1984 Philishave HP1605 mains
powered I used to have one of those little sharpening gadgets from a
previous shaver which was basically a bit of emery in a cylinder. So
I've sharpened the blades on a stone and more recently tried the
diamond credit card sharpener, very gently.

It's not brilliant now so I have a 7 'o' clock shadow unless I spend
ages. I've had to pull a couple of blades out as they were catching.

You really do need a *very* fine abrasive to sharpen them fully. By all
means use something coarse to start with - but finish off with Solvol
Autosol on a bit of flat glass. There may well be other polishes that work
as well, though.

Thanks, yes I'd wondered if I'd been a bit heavy handed.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Electric Shavers: Design/function vs. performance Existential Angst[_2_] Home Repair 28 December 29th 12 09:16 PM
OT - electric shavers? Lobster UK diy 21 November 17th 07 12:04 PM
Electric shavers - feedback F UK diy 14 September 11th 06 10:54 PM
Electric shavers Dave Baker UK diy 14 August 2nd 06 10:45 AM
Which le better electric or blade shavers? Kate Fights, I Cry Electronics 5 May 12th 05 11:37 AM