Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Electric Shavers: Design/function vs. performance

Yeah, electric razor weenie over here...... And a Norelco Weenie, at dat,
altho not without some considerable misgivings.

Always thought the Norelco design was flat out the most logical, direct,
best. Circular always better than reciprocating right?
Hmmmm, but mebbe it's time to try a Braun or sumpn....

One of my Norelco's is over 30 years old. Not much left of it, but it still
goes. And in fact it's essentially BETTER than my modernized versions, one
of which had one of the cutters actually eat *thru* the screen already,
after, what, mebbe 1 hr accrued use???!!!! Heh, still use that one, as
well, albeit carefully.....

ALL of them are now patch jobs, one of which is just stripped to the motor,
with a 5V walwart for power.
That was the rechargeable, with non-removeable NiCads....
thankyouNorelco..... ergo the strip job.

So not really impressed with much about them, just can't get myself to go
reciprocating, but mebbe it's time.

Worse than the norelco's is the HF rotary.... holy ****, it was free, and
even THEN not worth it....

I spose I could test these in Macy's or sumpn, right?? But I have trouble
eating in pubic, much less shaving in pubic. Heh, still have nightmares
about sleepaway camp.... goodgawd.....
Lately, I do most of my shaving in le car/truck -- ticketable offense?
Proly, w/ my luck...

Mebbe I should just get waxed?? All over??

So what's the take of others on design/function vs. actual shaving
performance? Shoulda axed this before Xmas, I spose, eh??
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Existential Angst" wrote in message

[...]

For the rest of the world, Norelco is a Philips Philishave shaver. It seems
that Philco Radio held the copyrights to the Philips name for electrical
goods. Long bankrupt, Philco is now out of the picture, but Philips still
uses Norelco in the US.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 4:59*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
[...]

Prefer how Gillette Fusion shavers work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Yeah, electric razor weenie over here...... And a Norelco Weenie, at dat,
altho not without some considerable misgivings.

Cut rest due to quotation limits.

Consumer Reports last tested these in December 2009. For what it's
worth:

Rotaries:

1. Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D 1250X $200
2. Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D 1250XCC $250

Foil

1. Braun Series 7 790cc-4 Shaver System $250
2. Braun Series 7 Shaver 720s-4 $220
3. Braun Series 7 Shaver System 760cc-4 $240
4. Panasonic Nanotech ES8103s $100
5. Panasonic Vortex ES8109S $130
6. Panasonic Arc4 Multi-Flex ES-LA63-s $150
7. Panasonic ES-LA93-K $300 (really)
8. Remington Pivot and Flex Foil F-5790 $55 This one is
rated as a Best Buy.
9. Remington Power Clean F-5790CS $80

CR says all these razors come with a 30 day money back trial period.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Existential Angst wrote:

One of my Norelco's is over 30 years old.

Is it one of these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y888mx7hMZ0

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

[...]

I'm in the same position as you. I keep patching up the Norelco's.
A few years ago, there was a big sign at the local store for Braun.
"If you don't like it bring it back." And it was on sale.

I bought one and used it for the 30 days.
They got it back.

I can't imagine any store would let you test drive it there.
And you wouldn't want to if they did. I don't need herpes
from the previous tester, thank you.

Walk into any Macy's or similar store. There are women lined up to
get a "touch up" from the makeup station. I can't imagine how
infested those brushes and powders and...are.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
[...]

Holy ****.... mebbe I'll try to get that HF jobby going.... LOL

Mebbe January will have some sales. I"d try a CR best buy.

Looking up that remington f5790, I found a remington "flex 360 pivot"
rotary:, the R4100, $40... !!!
http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/gifts/shop-by-price/gifts-under-%252415/remington-flex-360-pivot-electric-razor/prod.jump?ppId=1736ca3&cmvc=JCP|SearchResults|RICH REL&grView=&eventRootCatId=&currentTabCatId=&regId =

$200+++ for a razor is ridiculous..... I"d get waxed first.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:21:42 -0800, mike wrote:

[...]

When I was young I got a Braun for a gift. I used it for maybe a
couple of weeks and went back to a razor. Never tried another
electric razor since. I remember I didn't think it was close enough
for my taste. .
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 6:45*pm, Doug wrote:
[...]

When Gillette came out with 5 blades it put my Norelco to shame. I
would never go back. Much better and much closer shave with Gillette
Fusion.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

[...]

I use a double edge safety razor, basically the same as my Grandfather
did.....last I checked, the blades cost a few pennys each.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

[...]

I've got a Braun, works OK but sucks if you don't shave every day, it
has a problem biting longer whiskers.

--
:3 )~
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 20:45:25 -0600, Doug
wrote:

[...]

Ive been a blade user for 40 yrs..and these days I keep a Remington
triple header in my truck. It works very well, even on 2-4 days growth
and the battery never seems to die. Its a very nice shaver!

I picked up 5 various shavers from an Estate sale for $5 and sold 2 of
them, kept a NOS antique around in the curio cabinet. and the other
Remington sits on the sink in my bathroom.

I was utterly surprised how well it works.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 12-26-2012 19:59, Existential Angst wrote:
So what's the take of others on design/function vs. actual shaving
performance? Shoulda axed this before Xmas, I spose, eh??

My take on shaving, from having tried all kinds, electric and
non-electric, in the forty-some years since I first had something
shaveable, is that the ads for ALL of them are lies.

I finally just let it grow.

--
Wes Groleau

I won't burn your Koran because I don't want you to burn my Bible;
but if you burn my Bible, no one's going to die.
€” Robert Rhee
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 12-27-2012 01:21, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 12-26-2012 19:59, Existential Angst wrote:
So what's the take of others on design/function vs. actual shaving
performance? Shoulda axed this before Xmas, I spose, eh??

My take on shaving, from having tried all kinds, electric and
non-electric, in the forty-some years since I first had something
shaveable, is that the ads for ALL of them are lies.

I finally just let it grow.

And the least sucky electric I tried was a $19 Wahl.

--
Wes Groleau

A bureaucrat is someone who cuts red tape lengthwise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Wes Groleau" wrote in message
On 12-27-2012 01:21, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 12-26-2012 19:59, Existential Angst wrote:
So what's the take of others on design/function vs. actual shaving
performance? Shoulda axed this before Xmas, I spose, eh??

My take on shaving, from having tried all kinds, electric and
non-electric, in the forty-some years since I first had something
shaveable, is that the ads for ALL of them are lies.

I finally just let it grow.

And the least sucky electric I tried was a $19 Wahl.

http://www.wahl-store.com/detail/WAH+9880-100 $68.

Poor reviews tho:
http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-9880-100-.../dp/B0058SY1XG

The $40 Remington I cited above got excellent reviews.
--
EA

--
Wes Groleau

A bureaucrat is someone who cuts red tape lengthwise.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 19:59:56 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

[...]

In my experience the Remington MS-100, MS-200 style were the best. Two
foil head with two position pop up trimmer. They don't make em
anymore. A very simple design and they often were on sale for $25 or
less. More expensive versions using the same heads were upwards of
$70. But like I said, they seem to be discontinued. Still, I'd look
first at Remington Dual foil razors. I tried several of the others
and none were as good. Caveat - your face and beard may vary and it
may not be the best for you. That's the problem with CR for something
like this. It's a starting point I suppose but what they rate as the
best razors didn't work well for me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:52:15 -0800 (PST), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Dec 26, 6:45*pm, Doug wrote:
[...]

My remington does as good as a multi blade razor. Both do fine for me
but the remington is more convenient. DSFDF.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 19:59:56 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

snip

So what's the take of others on design/function vs. actual shaving
performance? Shoulda axed this before Xmas, I spose, eh??

Used to shave with a bladed razor but got tired of always looking like
I was in a fight...just can't manage to shave my bumpy chin without
bloodshed....so...

I used norelco rotary shavers for years...worked fine, but never got
all that close a shave. I have a thick and heavy beard growth in
places.

Picked up a top end braun maybe 10 years ago and loved it, until they
changed the blade design. The original design was many finely
sharpened cutting edges on each of the two blades cartridges. They
changed it to wider spacing and, it seemed to me, less finely
sharpened. Seemed cheaper and flimsier, and didn't work nearly as
well. I found I had to change blade cartridges every six months and
they were pricey! With the original blade design I could go at least
a year without replacement.

Switched to a panasonic (One of the models with the self cleaning tank
thing). The blades are more like the orginal braun. Gives a very
nice shave. It's best to shave every day, but does well even when I
skip a day (or two), which I tend to do pretty often. Change the
blade and foil about once a year. I like the convenience of the self
cleaning stand, but the cleaning cartridges are pricey too and it
seems to work just as well to snap off the foil and rinse it well
after use and let it air dry. If I skip a day or two the longer
trimmings clog up the blade and make it harder to clean though.

I do find that using pre-shave lotion (Lectric-shave) helps me get a
better shave with less razor burn. It does tend to make the trimmings
sticky and thus harder to clean. Both the braun and panasonice
instructions say not to use a pre-shave, probably because of the
cleaning issue. Getting the trimmings out of the inside of the blade
cartridges sometimes requires a little brush.

I may just go back to rotary when the panasonic dies. The cost of the
braun and panasonic blades and foils and the cleaning cartridges
really add up (on purpose, I'm sure) and buys you some convenience but
not a much better shave.

HTH,

Paul F.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 01:25:57 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 12-27-2012 01:21, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 12-26-2012 19:59, Existential Angst wrote:
So what's the take of others on design/function vs. actual shaving
performance? Shoulda axed this before Xmas, I spose, eh??

My take on shaving, from having tried all kinds, electric and
non-electric, in the forty-some years since I first had something
shaveable, is that the ads for ALL of them are lies.

I finally just let it grow.

I let mine grow 20 years ago, though I trim it weekdays.

And the least sucky electric I tried was a $19 Wahl.

I just threw away a $30ish Wahl that I used for five years. It was
quite good, if a little underpowered. I replaced it with a Braun, I
think, which has a *lot* of power (LiIon) but the straight head is
rusting. I doubt it'll last a year before it's too gross to use.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 6:52*pm, jon_banquer wrote:
On Dec 26, 6:45*pm, Doug * wrote:

[...]

I should add that I don't think I've ever cut myself or gotten razor
burn with the Gillette Fusion razor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 6:45*pm, Doug * wrote:

[...]

burn with the Gillette Fusion razor.- Hide quoted text -

Yup, got one in the newspaper one time, closest shave I've ever had.
Cartridges last maybe 6-8 weeks for me. Kind of spendy compared with
the double-edge razor I was using, but those blades are impossible to
find now, nobody carries good ones. The Fusion does a better job
anyway.

For electric, I had some inherited Norelcos that were direct AC, too
old for rechargeables. Did an OK job in college. Had to sharpen the
cutters several times since available replacements sucked for shaving,
also were expensive. The things were made to be serviced, had real
bearings in the motors and actual lube points. Tried one of the
Panasonic wet/dry rechargeables, was a reciprocating type. Not bad,
but nothing great, either. Went back to the old double-edge razor for
a good shave in the shower until the Fusion came by. You CAN scalp
your face with the Fusion, but you really have to work at it.

Stan
Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought a Norelco rotary on eBay and when it arrived I found I ACcidently bought a Corded razor instead of cordless. It turned out to be a good mistake. No more fussing with the charger and batteries ,and the AC outlet is always right there. The corded razor always has plenty of power and is actually lessweight to Carry when traveling.
Mark
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" writes:

Some of the norelco rechargeables use non-replaceable nicads,
that are soldered to the pcb, difficult to remove, difficult to
re-install. Easier to do the wallwart-gut.

The issue is the old ones leaked. The new nicads work but when
plugged in, the shaver hisses as SOMETHING is overheating.

Never ever throw out wallwarts.... LOL

Preaching to the choir, son. I have cartons full of same.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 6:45*pm, Doug * wrote:

[...]

I get the same life out of cartridges that you do.

"You CAN scalp your face with the Fusion, but you really have to work
at it."

For me this only happens if I use a very dull one. I buy them at
Costco in bulk and they last me a year. As soon as I they start to get
dull I change.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 19:11:24 -0800 (PST), jon_banquer
wrote:

[...]

My problem with blades wasn't scalping myself (though that was some
problem), rather ingrown hairs. Twenty years ago, I simply gave up.
Problem solved.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

At one time I had some beard hairs that resembled mechanical pencil
leads. O_o

TDD
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Electrics seem to address that as well, in varying degrees.
Also, I think the skin adapts.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Thankfully never had that problem.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 15:18:17 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Sure. They don't cut as close so the hairs don't "catch" as they
grow. I use an electric trimmer.

Also, I think the skin adapts.

It doesn't. It's an issue with the shape of the hair rather than the
skin.

OT Electric Shavers - mens views needed sweetheart[_2_] UK diy 60 January 13th 11 09:17 PM
OT - electric shavers? Lobster UK diy 21 November 17th 07 12:04 PM
Electric shavers - feedback F UK diy 14 September 11th 06 10:54 PM
Electric shavers Dave Baker UK diy 14 August 2nd 06 10:45 AM
Which le better electric or blade shavers? Kate Fights, I Cry Electronics 5 May 12th 05 11:37 AM