Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Stanley Schaefer[_2_] Stanley Schaefer[_2_] is offline

Default Electric Shavers: Design/function vs. performance

On Dec 27, 9:20*am, jon_banquer wrote:
On Dec 26, 6:52*pm, jon_banquer wrote:

On Dec 26, 6:45*pm, Doug * wrote:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:21:42 -0800, mike wrote:
Yeah, electric razor weenie over here...... *And a Norelco Weenie, at dat,
altho not without some considerable misgivings.

Always thought the Norelco design was flat out the most logical, direct,
best. *Circular always better than reciprocating right?
Hmmmm, but mebbe it's time to try a Braun or sumpn....

One of my Norelco's is over 30 years old. *Not much left of it, but it still
goes. *And in fact it's essentially BETTER than my modernized versions, one
of which had one of the cutters actually eat *thru* the screen already,
after, what, mebbe 1 hr accrued use???!!!! * Heh, still use that one, as
well, albeit carefully.....

ALL of them are now patch jobs, one of which is just stripped to the motor,
with a 5V walwart for power.
That was the rechargeable, with non-removeable NiCads....
thankyouNorelco..... *ergo the strip job.

So not really impressed with much about them, just can't get myself to go
reciprocating, but mebbe it's time.

Worse than the norelco's is the HF rotary.... * holy ****, it was free, and
even THEN not worth it....

I spose I could test these in Macy's or sumpn, right?? *But I have trouble
eating in pubic, much less shaving in pubic. *Heh, still have nightmares
about sleepaway camp.... *goodgawd.....
Lately, I do most of my shaving in le car/truck -- ticketable offense?
Proly, w/ my luck...

Mebbe I should just get waxed?? *All over??

So what's the take of others on design/function vs. actual shaving
performance? *Shoulda axed this before Xmas, I spose, eh??

I'm in the same position as you. *I keep patching up the Norelco's..
A few years ago, there was a big sign at the local store for Braun.
"If you don't like it bring it back." *And it was on sale.

I bought one and used it for the 30 days.
They got it back.

When I was young I got a Braun for a gift. *I used it for maybe a
couple of weeks and went back to a razor. * Never tried another
electric razor since. * I remember I didn't think it was close enough
for my taste. *.

When Gillette came out with 5 blades it put my Norelco to shame. I
would never go back. Much better and much closer shave with Gillette
Fusion.

I should add that I don't think I've ever cut myself or gotten razor
burn with the Gillette Fusion razor.- Hide quoted text -

Yup, got one in the newspaper one time, closest shave I've ever had.
Cartridges last maybe 6-8 weeks for me. Kind of spendy compared with
the double-edge razor I was using, but those blades are impossible to
find now, nobody carries good ones. The Fusion does a better job
anyway.

For electric, I had some inherited Norelcos that were direct AC, too
old for rechargeables. Did an OK job in college. Had to sharpen the
cutters several times since available replacements sucked for shaving,
also were expensive. The things were made to be serviced, had real
bearings in the motors and actual lube points. Tried one of the
Panasonic wet/dry rechargeables, was a reciprocating type. Not bad,
but nothing great, either. Went back to the old double-edge razor for
a good shave in the shower until the Fusion came by. You CAN scalp
your face with the Fusion, but you really have to work at it.

Stan