Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim...[_2_] tim...[_2_] is offline

Default OT? Electric shavers

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
On 29/01/2021 10:21, tim... wrote:

"ss" wrote in message

[snip]

As an aside the rotary shavers are easy to dismantle and sharpen the
`blades` every so often, like once a year. Lots of tutorials on utube.

given that the official blurb is that heads should be replaced every
*month* sharpening once per year doesn't seem frequent enough

Every month ??????

Don't know what brand you're using but the instructions for my Philips
shaver say to replace every two years.

I can't remember where I saw it

but my own experience is that the closeness of the cut *does* deteriorate
noticeably after that short a period

My most recent Philips purchase was of a new lightweight type where the
transformer is in the plug, not in the body. It died completely after less
than two years

So I decided not to repeat that model and bought the Remington 3 head -
which is dreadful at collecting long hairs and gives an overall poor shave,
new heads or not. I have to take these hairs off with the trimmer and then
shave again

Good job I don't have to impress anybody with my close shave :-)

In practice I ignore that and continue using the same heads until I notice
a deterioration

as above

I really do notice a deterioration after that short period

I then don't notice any further deterioration over a number of years

and usually get at least 3 years out of them.

Before switching to Philips rotary I used Braun shavers with reciprocating
cutters and flexible foils. These used to fail dramatically when the
cutters wore through the foil and tore holes in it.

This is their failure mode

The Philips heads are *much* more robust and shave as close as the Braun
did with it's micro thin foil.