Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Soundbars with multiple HDMI inputs and one output

Effectively what I would like is a decent soundbar that
also has a built-in HDMI switch, so that I can connect
STB, BluRay player and TV.

At the moment I use a 32 inch IPS monitor connected
directly to my HD FOX T2, but the monitor only has one
HDMI connector and a separate Amptastic mini amp does
the sound.

The sound bar would replace the Amp and computer spkrs
but there is still the problem with multiple HDMI sources.
I don't want a full-on AV amp, they are too big and powerful
for my needs and I don't think I need 5/7/9 channels.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 15:41:06 +0000, Andrew wrote:

Effectively what I would like is a decent soundbar that also has a
built-in HDMI switch, so that I can connect STB, BluRay player and TV.

At the moment I use a 32 inch IPS monitor connected directly to my HD
FOX T2, but the monitor only has one HDMI connector and a separate
Amptastic mini amp does the sound.

The sound bar would replace the Amp and computer spkrs but there is
still the problem with multiple HDMI sources. I don't want a full-on AV
amp, they are too big and powerful for my needs and I don't think I need
5/7/9 channels.

Andrew

I assume that you have discounted just fronting it with an HDMI switch
which would probably be a more flexible and even cheaper option?

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Sonos or however its spelled?

Tell your wallet to open wide ...

But looks like it wouldn't help, the cheap one only has a single HDMI
input and the expensive one has no HDMI input, just fibre-optic or ethernet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/10/2020 15:41, Andrew wrote:
The sound bar would replace the Amp and computer spkrs
but there is still the problem with multiple HDMI sources.
I don't want a full-on AV amp, they are too big and powerful
for my needs and I don't think I need 5/7/9 channels.

The usual solution is to have a TV with multiple inputs, and feed the
soundbar over ARC on one of the ports, or S/PDIF optical.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Sonos or however its spelled?

Tell your wallet to open wide ...

But looks like it wouldn't help, the cheap one only has a single HDMI
input and the expensive one has no HDMI input, just fibre-optic or ethernet.

You can buy HDMI switches which come with a remote. Mine has four inputs
and two outputs, both of which can be switched independently.

--
*Who is this General Failure chap anyway - and why is he reading my HD? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/10/2020 19:09, David wrote:
On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 15:41:06 +0000, Andrew wrote:

Effectively what I would like is a decent soundbar that also has a
built-in HDMI switch, so that I can connect STB, BluRay player and TV.

At the moment I use a 32 inch IPS monitor connected directly to my HD
FOX T2, but the monitor only has one HDMI connector and a separate
Amptastic mini amp does the sound.

The sound bar would replace the Amp and computer spkrs but there is
still the problem with multiple HDMI sources. I don't want a full-on AV
amp, they are too big and powerful for my needs and I don't think I need
5/7/9 channels.

Andrew

I assume that you have discounted just fronting it with an HDMI switch
which would probably be a more flexible and even cheaper option?

The only suitable sound bar with a built in HDMI switch that I have
found is the Denon DHT-S716H, but it is £799. Ouch. Lots of
functionality like heos multi-room which I won't ever use.

A separate HDMI switch might be what I settle for but they have a huge
range in price and reading posts in places like avforums, some are
'temperamental'.

Cheer

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Oct 2020 at 13:52:28 GMT, "Andrew"
wrote:

[...]

Just as a data point I tried a Labgear HDS5 switch (and a second replacement)
and it wouldn't work properly with a Freesat box or a Samsung BluRay player. I
also I note that you need HDCP 2.2 if you ever want to play commercial 4k
disks. Do you know if the Denon copes with this? I think a consequence of
HDCP 2.2 is that the sound can only be derived back from the TV, not tapped
off en route.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

I tried a Labgear HDS5 switch (and a second replacement)
and it wouldn't work properly with a Freesat box or a Samsung BluRay player. I
also I note that you need HDCP 2.2 if you ever want to play commercial 4k
disks. Do you know if the Denon copes with this? I think a consequence of
HDCP 2.2 is that the sound can only be derived back from the TV, not tapped
off en route.

I spent most of an evening getting neighbours sky Q talking to sky
soundbar (single HDMI in, single HDMI out)

Only one tv port has HDCP so Q box will only send 4K content to that
one, only another tv port has ARC, chromecast ultra in another port (for
BT sport in 2K that apparently is only in SD on sky) audio from
chromecast into TV over HDMI, TV speakers on zero volume, out of TV on
S/PDIF into soundbar, select that with another remote ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Oct 2020 at 21:53:18 GMT, "Andy Burns" wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:

I tried a Labgear HDS5 switch (and a second replacement)
and it wouldn't work properly with a Freesat box or a Samsung BluRay
player. I
also I note that you need HDCP 2.2 if you ever want to play commercial 4k
disks. Do you know if the Denon copes with this? I think a consequence of
HDCP 2.2 is that the sound can only be derived back from the TV, not tapped
off en route.

I spent most of an evening getting neighbours sky Q talking to sky
soundbar (single HDMI in, single HDMI out)

Only one tv port has HDCP so Q box will only send 4K content to that
one, only another tv port has ARC, chromecast ultra in another port (for
BT sport in 2K that apparently is only in SD on sky) audio from
chromecast into TV over HDMI, TV speakers on zero volume, out of TV on
S/PDIF into soundbar, select that with another remote ...

That's the good thing about standards ...

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/10/2020 15:41, Andrew wrote:
Effectively what I would like is a decent soundbar that
also has a built-in HDMI switch, so that I can connect
STB, BluRay player and TV.

At the moment I use a 32 inch IPS monitor connected
directly to my HD FOX T2, but the monitor only has one
HDMI connector and a separate Amptastic mini amp does
the sound.

The sound bar would replace the Amp and computer spkrs
but there is still the problem with multiple HDMI sources.
I don't want a full-on AV amp, they are too big and powerful
for my needs and I don't think I need 5/7/9 channels.

Andrew

Use a matrix switch in front of the monitor to provide ARC

https://www.aten.com/gb/en/products/...witches/vs482/

or, cheaper ....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4Kx2K-3D-...litter-Adapter

--
Adrian C

Multiple Thermoatats & Multiple Baseboard Heaters Anonymous[_27_] Home Repair 1 September 26th 16 04:42 PM
TV soundbars News UK diy 113 November 17th 15 10:36 PM
HDMI Inputs On TV ? Bob[_44_] Electronics Repair 3 October 18th 15 10:11 AM
Sound on hdmi output video card root Electronics Repair 1 November 5th 11 06:16 PM
Extending multiple BX cables: with multiple bx cables or multiple wires in greenfield? Existential Angst Home Repair 13 November 14th 09 04:58 PM