Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default OT Soundbars with multiple HDMI inputs and one output

On 31 Oct 2020 at 13:52:28 GMT, "Andrew"
wrote:

On 30/10/2020 19:09, David wrote:
On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 15:41:06 +0000, Andrew wrote:

Effectively what I would like is a decent soundbar that also has a
built-in HDMI switch, so that I can connect STB, BluRay player and TV.

At the moment I use a 32 inch IPS monitor connected directly to my HD
FOX T2, but the monitor only has one HDMI connector and a separate
Amptastic mini amp does the sound.

The sound bar would replace the Amp and computer spkrs but there is
still the problem with multiple HDMI sources. I don't want a full-on AV
amp, they are too big and powerful for my needs and I don't think I need
5/7/9 channels.

Andrew

I assume that you have discounted just fronting it with an HDMI switch
which would probably be a more flexible and even cheaper option?

The only suitable sound bar with a built in HDMI switch that I have
found is the Denon DHT-S716H, but it is £799. Ouch. Lots of
functionality like heos multi-room which I won't ever use.

A separate HDMI switch might be what I settle for but they have a huge
range in price and reading posts in places like avforums, some are
'temperamental'.

Just as a data point I tried a Labgear HDS5 switch (and a second replacement)
and it wouldn't work properly with a Freesat box or a Samsung BluRay player. I
also I note that you need HDCP 2.2 if you ever want to play commercial 4k
disks. Do you know if the Denon copes with this? I think a consequence of
HDCP 2.2 is that the sound can only be derived back from the TV, not tapped
off en route.

--
Roger Hayter