Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Built in appliances and kick boards - a general comment

Having struggled to remove the kick boards (it should have been easy but
extra bits had been added beyond clips) I looked at the built in washing
machine.

It looks to have a washing machine style filter which unscrews to enable
the user to recover coins, false teeth, and anything else which has been
left in pockets and gone through the wash.
[I will unearth the instruction book and check.]

On free standing washing machines this is often behind a metal flap which
folds out.

This suggest to me that any kick board which covers the base of a built in
device should be easily removable and replaceable for service access.

I wonder how many people know this; it completely passed me by!

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 18:28:11 +0000, David wrote:

Having struggled to remove the kick boards (it should have been easy but
extra bits had been added beyond clips) I looked at the built in washing
machine.

It looks to have a washing machine style filter which unscrews to enable
the user to recover coins, false teeth, and anything else which has been
left in pockets and gone through the wash.
[I will unearth the instruction book and check.]

On free standing washing machines this is often behind a metal flap
which folds out.

This suggest to me that any kick board which covers the base of a built
in device should be easily removable and replaceable for service access.

I wonder how many people know this; it completely passed me by!

Adding that there should be some sort of easy way to remove the kick board
such as a notch for a lever or a couple of small knobs to grip.

Just a simple functional way to pop the board off and on again.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Wrote in message:
[...]

The joys of cheap kirchens
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" Wrote in message:
More to the point, why do makers of said machines put the filter right at
the bottom, sometimes very close, as then you cannot get a big enough tray
under it to allow it to drain the internal plumbing without flooding the
place?
Brian

Gravity
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you have a built-in fridge, there will (should) be a plastic tray
behind the kickboard that slides out for cleaning any spilt milk
or whatever.

Unless you have an easily removable kickboard, you cannot slide
it out for cleaning.

Andrew

On 26/10/2020 08:26, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
More to the point, why do makers of said machines put the filter right at
the bottom, sometimes very close, as then you cannot get a big enough tray
under it to allow it to drain the internal plumbing without flooding the
place?
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 08:36:23 +0000, Jimk wrote:

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" Wrote in message:
More to the point, why do makers of said machines put the filter right
at the bottom, sometimes very close, as then you cannot get a big
enough tray under it to allow it to drain the internal plumbing without
flooding the place?
Brian

Gravity

Yes, I have to use a very very shallow baking tray, and it needs emptying
before the drain is complete. I am wondering about a 100mm solid platform
for it.

(I do this every six months after I failed to undo the cover because it
was jammed up with crud inside. I had to replace the pump, Dremel the old
cover off to see inside, but I have a spare pump now!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
Having struggled to remove the kick boards (it should have been easy but
extra bits had been added beyond clips) I looked at the built in washing
machine.

It looks to have a washing machine style filter which unscrews to enable
the user to recover coins, false teeth, and anything else which has been
left in pockets and gone through the wash.
[I will unearth the instruction book and check.]

On free standing washing machines this is often behind a metal flap which
folds out.

This suggest to me that any kick board which covers the base of a built in
device should be easily removable and replaceable for service access.

I wonder how many people know this; it completely passed me by!

They're normally just clipped to the legs of the cabinets, using terry
clips or similar. Then someone lays laminated flooring up to them, rather
than underneath, preventing their removal. ;-)

--
*I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can't put it down.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
This suggest to me that any kick board which covers the base of a built in
device should be easily removable and replaceable for service access.

I wonder how many people know this; it completely passed me by!

They're normally just clipped to the legs of the cabinets, using terry
clips or similar. Then someone lays laminated flooring up to them, rather
than underneath, preventing their removal. ;-)

The trouble with "just clipped to the legs of the cabinets" is:-

You have to know they're "just clipped to the legs of the
cabinets" to be able to remove them, otherwise you spend happy
hours searching for the latest nefarious "invisible" fixings some
horrible manufacturer has invented.

Even if they are "just clipped to the legs of the cabinets" and
you know it how are you supposed to pull them off?

What is wrong with a couple of screws? You can get black screws if
light coloured ones really upset you but personally such things really
don't worry me.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
They're normally just clipped to the legs of the cabinets, using terry
clips or similar. Then someone lays laminated flooring up to them,
rather than underneath, preventing their removal. ;-)

The trouble with "just clipped to the legs of the cabinets" is:-

You have to know they're "just clipped to the legs of the
cabinets" to be able to remove them, otherwise you spend happy
hours searching for the latest nefarious "invisible" fixings some
horrible manufacturer has invented.

You either:-

Fit the kitchen yourself.
Watch the guys doing it.
Ask here.

;-)

--
*A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.