Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Built in appliances?

I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to learn
that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior capacity than
normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which way
to go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 February 2019 18:02:17 UTC, R D S wrote:
I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to learn
that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior capacity than
normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which way
to go.

In our just over two-year-old house, we specified spaces under counter for refrigerator and freezer. It certainly made it easy when we replaced the freezer a few weeks ago.

(The only thing I did was replace a 13-A socket with Schuko to avoid using the rather bulky Schuko-to-13-A adaptor supplied.)

Dishwasher, though, we had a fitted one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 24/02/2019 18:02, R D S wrote:
I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to learn
that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior capacity than
normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which way
to go.

Spawn of Satan....

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to
learn that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior
capacity than normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which
way to go.

Do not, DO NOT go for a frost free fridge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
R D S wrote:
I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to
learn that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior
capacity than normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which
way to go.

Do not, DO NOT go for a frost free fridge.

Works fine here and never have to fart around defrosting again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 05:27:03 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which
way to go.

Do not, DO NOT go for a frost free fridge.

Works fine here and never have to fart around defrosting again.

Obviously it doesn't work for others, you obnoxious, auto-contradicting,
senile idiot!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
R D S wrote:
I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to
learn that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior
capacity than normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher
and our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide
which way to go.

Do not, DO NOT go for a frost free fridge.

I correct myself. I think that all under the counter fridges are frost free.
This is because they reach temp and automatically defrost the evaporator
plate.
Sorry for my **** up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2019 18:02, R D S wrote:
I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to learn
that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior capacity than
normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which way
to go.

Whatever you prefer, but our stand-alond dishwasher (Hoover DYM 762T)
holds 16 place settings - how many do you need?

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2019 18:02, R D S wrote:
I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to learn
that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior capacity than
normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which way
to go.

Having had to once replace a fridge/freezer with a peculiar door split
ratio that had to be matched (or the fitted doors simply would not work)
- I hate fitted stuff. It limited me to exactly one model from one
manufacturer.

How easy it might be next time to find no available suitable unit.

With a properly designed space, there's no disadvantage IMO to having
free standing appliances and it's so much easier to get them out if they
need servicing.

If looks matter, I'd rather have a door over a slightly deeper space
that a free standing can be slid into.

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
R D S wrote:
I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to
learn that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior
capacity than normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which
way to go.

Do not, DO NOT go for a frost free fridge.

I correct myself. I think that all under the counter fridges are frost
free. This is because they reach temp and automatically defrost the
evaporator plate. Sorry for my **** up.

Certainly, our under-the-counter fridge is frost free as was its
predecessor. The original being bought in 1988!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 February 2019 18:02:17 UTC, R D S wrote:

I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to learn
that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior capacity than
normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which way
to go.

There are plenty of unfitted appliances: endless choice, new or used, buy anywhere, whatever you want, change what you've got there without a worry. The same is not true of fitted.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to learn
that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior capacity than
normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which way
to go.

We went €˜built in €˜ may be 10 years back when we had the kitchen refitted.
The appliances were all AEG, other than the cooker hood.

They certainly look good, even 10 years on.

Im not so sure about the capacity being greater. Ive certainly never
noticed it. Weve an separate under counter fridge and freezer and the
fridge is a bit of a pain to find stuff in. Weve another, upright
fridge/freezer in the garage and finding stuff in there is far easier. The
drawers in the under counter freezer alleviate the problem there, it is
better than our chest freezer.

Weve replaced the dishwasher (at least once, maybe twice) and built in
units tend to be more expensive.

Our experience of AEG isnt that good. Induction hob has been brilliant,
ditto main fan oven. Combo microwave initially had a lot of issues but was
eventually fixed. Fridge and Freezer have had hinge trouble. Dishwasher was
a pain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
R D S wrote:
I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to
learn that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior
capacity than normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher
and our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide
which way to go.

Do not, DO NOT go for a frost free fridge.

I correct myself. I think that all under the counter fridges are
frost free. This is because they reach temp and automatically
defrost the evaporator plate. Sorry for my **** up.

Certainly, our under-the-counter fridge is frost free as was its
predecessor. The original being bought in 1988!

I'm sorry for my language.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2019 18:02, R D S wrote:
I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to learn
that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior capacity than
normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which way
to go.

Integrated dishwashers are generally more expensive and are a pain when
they break and need pulling out to get at.

Ingergrated fridges are pretty good tho

--
€œI know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

ۥ Leo Tolstoy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2019 19:38, Tim Watts wrote:

If looks matter, I'd rather have a door over a slightly deeper space
that a free standing can be slid into.

The built in ones slide in and out too.
They aren't actually built in and are fitted after the units.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2019 18:21, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
R D S wrote:
I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to
learn that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior
capacity than normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which
way to go.

Do not, DO NOT go for a frost free fridge.

We've had one for several years now. Absolutely no issues...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 24/02/2019 18:02, R D S wrote:
I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to learn
that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior capacity
than normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which way
to go.

Integrated dishwashers are generally more expensive and are a pain when
they break and need pulling out to get at.

why?

The only bit of "intergration" with our dishwasher ia a wooden panel fixed
on the front and the continuous plinth. How do you access a
non-intergrated dishwasher without puliing it out from between the units?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:

I’m not so sure about the capacity being greater. I’ve certainly never
noticed it.

When we were re-doing our kitchen, we initially contemplated a
built-in fridge freezer. The overall dimensions were similar to
the freestanding one that we were replacing, but the capacity
figures were so much lower that initially I thought I had
miscalculated. I checked further and it was partly the greatly
increased thickness of insulation in modern appliances, and
partly the space taken for the housing, and the door having to
line up.

We were so nearly caught out, but eventually went for a 2 m high
freestanding Miele, with which we are very pleased. A substantial
piece of work, the interior arrangement seems to accommodate all
we need with ease (1). Although this is not a cheap fridge, it
came in less expensive than a built-in plus housing.

Washing machine and dishwasher are Neff built-in, and after
nearly 11 years are still working well.

We went for built-in because we thought it would look tidier,
but, since one is advised to leave the washing machine door ajar
after use to let it dry out, this is only partly achieved.

(1) Eventually supplemented by an upright freezer in the garage.
This is also full, and we don't know how we managed without it -
we do lots of batch cooking.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

A good reason to get a wider 700mm unit rather than 600mm. A large
increase in capacity.

The layout was pretty tight. Given a mansion, I would have looked
at that, and also not located the freezer in the garage.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 09:31, Chris J Dixon wrote:

We were so nearly caught out, but eventually went for a 2 m high
freestanding Miele, with which we are very pleased. A substantial
piece of work, the interior arrangement seems to accommodate all
we need with ease (1). Although this is not a cheap fridge, it
came in less expensive than a built-in plus housing.

I've got one of those now - holds the temperature well at 4C and as a
result we are quite generous with "use by" dates, with attention paid to
what type of food (eg I'll let chicken and fish go a day over, red meat
longer and un prepared vegetables, I ignore completely and just see if
they're hairy or not. Ditto most dairy products barring soft cheese
which I am a bit wary of.

--
Email does not work

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

I've got one of those now - holds the temperature well at 4C and as a
result we are quite generous with "use by" dates, with attention paid to
what type of food (eg I'll let chicken and fish go a day over, red meat
longer and un prepared vegetables, I ignore completely and just see if
they're hairy or not. Ditto most dairy products barring soft cheese
which I am a bit wary of.

I think that is a sensible approach. There are too many people
who seem to be afraid to use their own judgment. It is not helped
by misunderstanding the crucial difference between "Best Before"
and "Use By", and recognising that safety margins are added.

In previous fridges I have had problems with salads and the like
freezing, and found that the one place not to put lettuce was in
the "crisper" drawer - the coldest spot.

The Miele has an optional circulating fan, and leaving this on,
although there is a small energy penalty, ensures that I have
never had any freezing anywhere in the fridge compartment.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2019 18:02, R D S wrote:
I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to learn
that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior capacity
than normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which way
to go.

Integrated dishwashers are generally more expensive and are a pain when
they break and need pulling out to get at.

why?

The only bit of "intergration" with our dishwasher ia a wooden panel fixed
on the front and the continuous plinth. How do you access a
non-intergrated dishwasher without puliing it out from between the units?

the problem is it doesnt have a case.
so when you pull oit out its sort of distortss and gets stuck

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 24/02/2019 18:02, R D S wrote:
I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to learn
that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior capacity
than normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which way
to go.

Integrated dishwashers are generally more expensive and are a pain when
they break and need pulling out to get at.

why?

The only bit of "intergration" with our dishwasher ia a wooden panel
fixed
on the front and the continuous plinth.Â* How do you access a
non-intergrated dishwasher without puliing it out from between the units?

the problem is it doesnt have a case.
so when you pull oit out its sort of distortss and gets stuck

Something else TNP is making up.
Of course they have a case and don't fall apart when you pull them out.

Does he actually know anything since his breakdown over brexit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2019 18:02, R D S wrote:
[...]

Yep, that you lying remoaners keep lying thru your teeth, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 09:44:49 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Troll as troll can, eh, you senile trolling piece of Ozzie ****?

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."