Senior Member

Question Knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and architraves

Where can I buy knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and architraves in soft wood, or is this not posible?

Am planning to varnish/stain it all to a similar medium oak colour to match the floor, without going to the extent of buying solid oak items (cost is one reason!). Plus I want it to match the stair handrail already fixed in sortwood.

I dont fancy a whole array of knots visible as you get from the typical gear from B&Q etc.

Any ideas, cheap sources in SE England/London or guidance?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Default Knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and architraves

Cordless Crazy wrote:
Where can I buy knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and
architraves in soft wood, or is this not posible?

Am planning to varnish/stain it all to a similar medium oak colour to
match the floor, without going to the extent of buying solid oak items
(cost is one reason!). Plus I want it to match the stair handrail
already fixed in sortwood.

I dont fancy a whole array of knots visible as you get from the typical
gear from B&Q etc.

Any ideas, cheap sources in SE England/London or guidance?

Any decent timber merchant should have *relatively* (i.e. relative to
the sheds) knot free softwood and, with luck, you can lose the bigger
ones in the cutting.
Champions are not bad if you have a branch nearby.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Cordless Crazy wrote:
Where can I buy knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and
architraves in soft wood, or is this not posible?

Am planning to varnish/stain it all to a similar medium oak colour to
match the floor, without going to the extent of buying solid oak items
(cost is one reason!). Plus I want it to match the stair handrail
already fixed in sortwood.

I dont fancy a whole array of knots visible as you get from the typical
gear from B&Q etc.

Any ideas, cheap sources in SE England/London or guidance?

Many timber merchants will let you select the bits you want to take.
(like buying vegetables in a super market!)

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:04:23 +0000, Cordless Crazy
wrote:

Where can I buy knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and
architraves in soft wood, or is this not posible?

Am planning to varnish/stain it all to a similar medium oak colour to
match the floor, without going to the extent of buying solid oak items
(cost is one reason!). Plus I want it to match the stair handrail
already fixed in sortwood.

I dont fancy a whole array of knots visible as you get from the typical
gear from B&Q etc.

Any ideas, cheap sources in SE England/London or guidance?

Hi,

Try a large timber merchant like Champion Timber:

http://www.championtimber.com/

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

In article , Cordless Crazy
writes

wrote:
Where can I buy knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards

and
architraves in soft wood, or is this not posible?

Try a large timber merchant like Champion Timber:

http://www.championtimber.com/

cheers,
Pete.

Cheers Pete. My local champions was perfic!

--
Cordless Crazy

What did you ask for/ what did they give you ie what type or species?
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:28:34 +0000, Cordless Crazy
wrote:

http://www.championtimber.com/

cheers,
Pete.

Cheers Pete. My local champions was perfic!

Good! BTW there's some ramblings of mine on staining pine at the
following...:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_frm/thread/3528a7749b80f96b/5d317a2c44f31317?lnk=st&rnum=7&hl=en#5d317a2c44f31 317
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_frm/thread/ccf67020495a8a3f/3d6ebcd73bf8c025?lnk=st&rnum=1&hl=en#3d6ebcd73bf8c 025

I'd use the back of the skirting etc to practice getting the match to
the floor right.

cheers,
Pete.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....7a2c44f31 317
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....bcd73bf8c 025

I'd use the back of the skirting etc to practice getting the match to
the floor right.

cheers,
Pete.
Interesting reading Pete. Looks like this Sikkens stuff is the way to go!

BTW any advise on fixing the skirtings without screws? Am going to be Gripfilling the blighters to the wall by running beads down a couple of routed grooves on the back, formed by my circ saw (if it doesnt come pre-routed). I dont fancy making good any holes or screwheads and having them noticeable. My next concern it ensuring they stay bonded to the wall while Grippy cures.
Senior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred
Fred,

Champions were sound as. Go to their website and view their massive range. Lengths, boards, insulation, decking, sheds, doors etc The quality of their softwood pine is way better the the B&Q crudy knotty stuff. Reasonable rates almost knot free (the occational 6mm knot) but otherwise unwarp, true and available in length up to 5m+. Best thing is you can give them a cutting list and they will cut it and deliver it for free within a 10 mile radius of the branch (a few located around the south east)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Knot free is just about possible if you specify "unsorted" grades of
softwood i.e. what was in the old days sorted into 1st 2nd and 3rds.
But why would you want knot free anyway - knots are just a natural
feature of many timbers. There are knot free(ish) alternatives to
redwood such as pirana pine etc but they have other drawbacks.

cheers

Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|Where can I buy knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and
|architraves in soft wood, or is this not posible?

The sheds sell stripwood, which is lots of short bits of wood with the
knots cut out and glued end to end with an extended VVVVVV sort of join.
You could buy that and form it into "skirting boards, door linings, cill
boards" yourself.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

wrote:

|Where can I buy knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and
|architraves in soft wood, or is this not posible?

The sheds sell stripwood, which is lots of short bits of wood with the
knots cut out and glued end to end with an extended VVVVVV sort of join.
You could buy that and form it into "skirting boards, door linings, cill
boards" yourself.

With an 8ft length restriction though, and those laminated boards are
far from knot-free
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:56:05 +0000, Cordless Crazy
wrote:

Interesting reading Pete. Looks like this Sikkens stuff is the way to
go!

It's one way to go, maybe others can add other ways...

One thing worth a mention, if using a water based stain it will raise
the grain some, for a smoother surface solvent based is better.

When using solvent based stain indoors, there needs to be plenty of
ventilation during the initial drying to stop the solvent smell
building up too much.

Here's a pic of some pine which I've used a fairly thin coat of Cetol
HLS 'Teak' on (it does look quite a bit lighter in reality though),
with some bare wood for comparison:

http://static.flickr.com/35/111028642_8296453dfa_b.jpg

Using more coats makes it darker, and maybe obscures the grain a
little. The finish comes out satin but isn't too glossy.

Another product that might be worth a look is Rustins Wood Gel, I've
no experience of it though.

cheers,
Pete.