Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Filler cap on bunded fuel oil tank.

No expense spared, a new 1200l bunded diesel storage tank has just
arrived in my barn.

Most of the assembly work is obvious but I am challenged by the
operation of the lockable inspection/filler cap. The logo shows partial
rotation followed by tipping up or lifting off. Reasonable force does
nothing!

Are tools available for fitting over the lugs cast onto the lid? Bit
like a fancy immersion heater spanner?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 18:50:08 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

No expense spared, a new 1200l bunded diesel storage tank has just
arrived in my barn.

Most of the assembly work is obvious but I am challenged by the
operation of the lockable inspection/filler cap. The logo shows partial
rotation followed by tipping up or lifting off. Reasonable force does
nothing!

Do you mean that you have to install the cap yourself? We had a new tank
(Harlequin) delivered a couple of months ago and it came with everything
already in place (including a remote level reader!).

Only assembly had to be from tap to pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bev
writes
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 18:50:08 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

No expense spared, a new 1200l bunded diesel storage tank has just
arrived in my barn.

Most of the assembly work is obvious but I am challenged by the
operation of the lockable inspection/filler cap. The logo shows partial
rotation followed by tipping up or lifting off. Reasonable force does
nothing!

Do you mean that you have to install the cap yourself? We had a new tank
(Harlequin) delivered a couple of months ago and it came with everything
already in place (including a remote level reader!).

Only assembly had to be from tap to pipe.

Bev. This is a farm so I won't be using the fill pipe provision. There
is a plastic lockable inspection/fill cover where I assume delivery
drivers will insert their nozzle.
I am nervous of applying more force than I have done without knowing
more about the operation. I will try fitting a G cramp across and rotate
that...

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 11:29:44 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Bev
writes
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 18:50:08 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

No expense spared, a new 1200l bunded diesel storage tank has just
arrived in my barn.

Most of the assembly work is obvious but I am challenged by the
operation of the lockable inspection/filler cap. The logo shows
partial rotation followed by tipping up or lifting off. Reasonable
force does nothing!

Do you mean that you have to install the cap yourself? We had a new
tank (Harlequin) delivered a couple of months ago and it came with
everything already in place (including a remote level reader!).

Only assembly had to be from tap to pipe.

Bev. This is a farm

OK - I was thinking of domestic kerosene

so I won't be using the fill pipe provision. There
is a plastic lockable inspection/fill cover where I assume delivery
drivers will insert their nozzle.

Yep, thats correct - but what I don't get is why you need to remove it? I
thought you were trying to fit one on first reading . You can even
handfill from 'cans' via the inspection/fill cover if necessary.

Whatever you choose to do just take care that you don't get any debris in
the tank whilst doing it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 18:50, Tim Lamb wrote:
No expense spared, a new 1200l bunded diesel storage tank has just
arrived in my barn.

Most of the assembly work is obvious but I am challenged by the
operation of the lockable inspection/filler cap. The logo shows partial
rotation followed by tipping up or lifting off. Reasonable force does
nothing!

Are tools available for fitting over the lugs cast onto the lid? Bit
like a fancy immersion heater spanner?

The pikeys will soon get it off, though these days I believe they
just heat up a length of 22mm copper pipe already connected to a
tank in their 4x4 and push the hot pipe through both walls of the tank.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew
writes
On 15/10/2020 18:50, Tim Lamb wrote:
No expense spared, a new 1200l bunded diesel storage tank has just
arrived in my barn.
Most of the assembly work is obvious but I am challenged by the
operation of the lockable inspection/filler cap. The logo shows
partial rotation followed by tipping up or lifting off. Reasonable
force does nothing!
Are tools available for fitting over the lugs cast onto the lid? Bit
like a fancy immersion heater spanner?

The pikeys will soon get it off, though these days I believe they
just heat up a length of 22mm copper pipe already connected to a
tank in their 4x4 and push the hot pipe through both walls of the tank.

Indeed.

1200L is small by farming standards so it is tucked out of sight in a
barn. No Sun, no weather- little condensation.

A 6" G cramp made short work of removing the cover. Moulded inside were
a couple of plastic strips which engage with a plastic *ratchet*.
Presumably to stop it jarring off if used as a mobile fuel station.

Now to get a delivery before the price goes any higher.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 13:59, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andrew
writes
On 15/10/2020 18:50, Tim Lamb wrote:
No expense spared, a new 1200l bunded diesel storage tank has just
arrived in my barn.
Â*Most of the assembly work is obvious but I am challenged by the
operation of the lockable inspection/filler cap. The logo shows
partialÂ* rotation followed by tipping up or lifting off. Reasonable
force doesÂ* nothing!
Â*Are tools available for fitting over the lugs cast onto the lid? Bit
like a fancy immersion heater spanner?

The pikeys will soon get it off, though these days I believe they
just heat up a length of 22mm copper pipe already connected to a
tank in their 4x4 and push the hot pipe through both walls of the tank.

Indeed.

1200L is small by farming standards so it is tucked out of sight in a
barn. No Sun, no weather- little condensation.

A 6" G cramp made short work of removing the cover. Moulded inside were
a couple of plastic strips which engage with a plastic *ratchet*.
Presumably to stop it jarring off if used as a mobile fuel station.

Now to get a delivery before the price goes any higher.

Should've stocked up in April, if anyone was delivering back then :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew
writes
[...]

Yes. I was still emptying the old steel one. d-i-y question.. how do you
safely cut up an 8'x4'x4' steel tank with a residue of red diesel?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 19:20:36 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Now to get a delivery before the price goes any higher.

Should've stocked up in April, if anyone was delivering back then :-(

Not sure if Tim is after 35 sec heavy oil (aka gas oil/red/white
diesel) or 28 sec heating oil (aka kerosene/parrafin). The latter
seems to have been fairly stable in price since mid May at around 28
p/l.

Diesel I've not got a clue about, last filled the car up on the 3rd
Sep (112.7 p/l) and still have a 1/4 of tank left. Pre-covid I was
filling up 3 or 4 times a month...

I'll be watching 28 sec prices as our consumption has quadrupled in
the last couple of weeks and the estimated refill date has shifted
from mid Apr 21 to early Jan 21, I expect the actual refill will be
around end Nov 20.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 20:27:38 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

d-i-y question.. how do you safely cut up an 8'x4'x4' steel tank with a
residue of red diesel?

Diesel is remarkably hard to ignite even on a wick of some sort. Not
sure if it's volatile enough to reach explosive vapour concentrations
in a tank. Maybe force ventilate it (blow outlet from a wet 'n dry
vac, in the filler, out the vent?) and the good 'ole angle grinder
and ear defenders... I guess the ends make it too rigid for the
bucket of a front loader to squish/fold it up?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Wrote in message:
[...]

It cost more in April dumbass...

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Andrew
writes
[...]

Angle grinder.
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 19:20:36 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Now to get a delivery before the price goes any higher.

Should've stocked up in April, if anyone was delivering back then :-(

Not sure if Tim is after 35 sec heavy oil (aka gas oil/red/white
diesel) or 28 sec heating oil (aka kerosene/parrafin). The latter
seems to have been fairly stable in price since mid May at around 28
p/l.

Diesel I've not got a clue about, last filled the car up on the 3rd
Sep (112.7 p/l) and still have a 1/4 of tank left. Pre-covid I was
filling up 3 or 4 times a month...

I'll be watching 28 sec prices as our consumption has quadrupled in
the last couple of weeks and the estimated refill date has shifted
from mid Apr 21 to early Jan 21, I expect the actual refill will be
around end Nov 20.

Red. Around £0.46/l today. Depends a bit on quantity ordered.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
[...]

Erratum! £0.41 on 1000L just ordered.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 09:56:00 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Red. Around £0.46/l today. Depends a bit on quantity ordered.

Damn, bought about 50 l at something like 90 p/l for the genset when
the rumours about hiking the duty were being bandied about. That was
from the pump on the local garage forecourt rather than a bulk
delivery, also pre-covid and oil price war that took place just
before Covid.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 09:56:00 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Red. Around £0.46/l today. Depends a bit on quantity ordered.

Damn, bought about 50 l at something like 90 p/l for the genset when
the rumours about hiking the duty were being bandied about. That was
from the pump on the local garage forecourt rather than a bulk
delivery, also pre-covid and oil price war that took place just
before Covid.

--
Cheers
Dave.

S'only £20.... think how much youve saved on pubs!
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes

Not sure if Tim is after 35 sec heavy oil (aka gas oil/red/white
diesel) or 28 sec heating oil (aka kerosene/parrafin). The latter
seems to have been fairly stable in price since mid May at around 28
p/l.

I tend to note local (Aberdeenshire) prices, these being actual prices,
this year, kerosene, ppl, excluding the dreaded VAT :

07/01 0.509
11/02 0.432
16/03 0.358
06/04 0.290
13/05 0.204
03/07 0.305
08/09 0.288
06/10 0.295
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 10:44:36 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk wrote:

Red. Around £0.46/l today. Depends a bit on quantity ordered.

Damn, bought about 50 l at something like 90 p/l for the genset

when
the rumours about hiking the duty were being bandied about.

S'only £20.... think how much youve saved on pubs!

Expenditure in hospitality venues before 23 March - £0.00
Expenditure in hospitality venues after 23 March - £0.00

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 8:34:03 PM UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
Snip

how do you
safely cut up an 8'x4'x4' steel tank with a residue of red diesel?

Easiest way is to advertise it and hopefully someone will want it for something and come and do all the work to take it away whole. Otherwise, Google is your friend, as it's been asked here afore.

In a domestic (Heating Oil) situation I don't think the regs would allow placement in a "Barn", but perhaps this is brick built and meets all sorts of regs requirements??

On a lighter note, I used to volunteer doing PA and electrics at events (remember those) and one day some of the guys went to top up the kerosene tank for the showers. They pumped a load in and dipped it and it was still showing empty. So they pumped a load more in, still empty..... Then the penny dropped, they were filling the bund! !1::^*))

We have unbunded here for domestic, my brother in law has it on his list to build it one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 10:44:36 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk wrote:

Red. Around £0.46/l today. Depends a bit on quantity ordered.

Damn, bought about 50 l at something like 90 p/l for the genset

when
the rumours about hiking the duty were being bandied about.

S'only £20.... think how much youve saved on pubs!

Expenditure in hospitality venues before 23 March - £0.00
Expenditure in hospitality venues after 23 March - £0.00

Are you housebound?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2020 12:20, Chris Holmes wrote:
In a domestic (Heating Oil) situation I don't think the regs would allow placement in a "Barn", but perhaps this is brick built and meets all sorts of regs requirements??

The regs do allow it. I had a lot of trouble getting it done though as
it's so unusual.

You need it to be in its own fireproof room. They were mostly scared
that my car in the garage next door might set fire to the tank though!

I like the idea of putting the tank in a locked building where neither
thieves nor UV can get to it.

I dare say I'll have an argument with the insurance company in a few
years when they say "The tank needs replacing" and I say "Why?"

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vir Campestris
writes
On 20/10/2020 12:20, Chris Holmes wrote:
In a domestic (Heating Oil) situation I don't think the regs would
allow placement in a "Barn", but perhaps this is brick built and meets
all sorts of regs requirements??

The regs do allow it. I had a lot of trouble getting it done though as
it's so unusual.

You need it to be in its own fireproof room. They were mostly scared
that my car in the garage next door might set fire to the tank though!

I like the idea of putting the tank in a locked building where neither
thieves nor UV can get to it.

I dare say I'll have an argument with the insurance company in a few
years when they say "The tank needs replacing" and I say "Why?"

Delivery tomorrow. I'll let you know what the driver says. It is in the
same place as the old metal one.

--
Tim Lamb

Toro / Briggs&Stratton Stuck Oil Filler Cap Filipo Home Repair 12 June 11th 19 07:44 PM
Stihl Chainsaw - how to replace oil filler cap? muymalestado[_2_] UK diy 4 February 17th 11 06:56 PM
Is There A Temporary Substitute For An Oil Filler Cap? Vlad[_4_] Home Repair 11 June 23rd 09 02:15 AM
Bunded oil tanks Phill Home Repair 3 August 18th 06 06:53 PM
fuel tank filler neck??? SomeBody Metalworking 13 July 11th 05 12:07 AM