Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stihl Chainsaw - how to replace oil filler cap?

Stihl MS230 in use 5 years or so - the lever cap came away as I closed
it after filling with oil, leaving the seal shut and only slightly
leaking. Still, its knackered.

I can see how to buy a new one, but where will I find instructions on
getting the old bits out and the new cap fitted? Have tried Googling
and Asking Jeeves and eHow, etc.

Thank you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 9:29*pm, muymalestado wrote:
Stihl MS230 in use 5 years or so - the lever cap came away as I closed
it after filling with oil, leaving the seal shut and only slightly
leaking. *Still, its knackered.

Yes, they do that. The spanner sort is more robust than the tool-
less.

Wrench the remains out with pliers, or a big screw extractor (the
tapered LH corkscrews). Obviously it can be an issue drilling into a
full petrol tank!

Buying a replacement needs a trip to a local Stihl dealer, or else
eBay. Stihl have their head so far up their arse regarding on-line
sales that it's dodgy to buiy anything Stihl on-line. It's either not
genuine parts (most of it), dodgy traders who _don't_ have the Stihl
retailer status they claim, or else small-scale and domestics selling
the odd bit through eBay. It's one good reason to buy a Husqvarna
instead.

If you want a decent Stihl dealer to deal with (if they haven't gone
bust yet because Stihl has killed half their business), try George
Carr in Bristol.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
muymalestado writes
Stihl MS230 in use 5 years or so - the lever cap came away as I closed
it after filling with oil, leaving the seal shut and only slightly
leaking. Still, its knackered.

I can see how to buy a new one, but where will I find instructions on
getting the old bits out and the new cap fitted? Have tried Googling
and Asking Jeeves and eHow, etc.

Drill a couple of shallow holes and use 90deg. circlip pliers as a
wrench.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip

Drill a couple of shallow holes and use 90deg. circlip pliers as a
wrench.
regards
Tim Lamb

etc: Andy Dingley

Thank you for responses. What I think about Stihl policy as well -
but it is hard to see past them as quality makers. I have ordered a
'gen' part off ebay. We'll see.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The part has arrived from ebay, it seems to work, and is very
straightforward to replace. Thanks for replies.