Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tradesman - Price markup on parts

On 08/10/2020 18:52, Bob Eager wrote:
At one point, CPC upgraded [1] thweir website

I just filled in one of their customer satisfaction thingys. I said the
search engine on the website was ****e. That was me being kind, because
after all ****e makes good fertiliser.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:
On 08/10/2020 18:52, Bob Eager wrote:
At one point, CPC upgraded [1] thweir website

I just filled in one of their customer satisfaction thingys. I said the
search engine on the website was ****e. That was me being kind, because
after all ****e makes good fertiliser.

It's not very good, but on the other hand it's much better than many
others, e.g. the Toolstation search is truly awful.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
Funny how we are supposedly able to grade millions of students with an
"algorithm" and yet can't appear to devise an even halfway decent search
feature for online stores. By which I mean one that when you search for
(say) an SSD drive, doesn't return a shed load of SSD holders that
somehow manage to remain in the search at £4.99 when you set the price
range to £50-100 (looks at Amazon). Mysteriously though, you can almost
always sort by colour.

eBay also has the added fun of trying to exclude China-shipped items.

The Ebay search option is the worst I ever use. But not helped by sellers
putting 'not XXX' in their description so their product appears in your
search for XXX.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"No Name" wrote in message
On 08/10/2020 16:45, Max Demian wrote:
On 06/10/2020 15:43, alan_m wrote:

There is often a large difference in price for car tyres (incl fitting)
when buying/booking on line, phoning up and just turning up. Also in the
latter two cases you have to establish at the outset you want the price
for fitting including valves and balancing and it includes VAT or you
may find additional charges when it comes to pay.

Balancing isn't essential for rear wheels. Don't they charge to dispose
of the old tyre?

I tell the tyre fitting place to put the old tyres in the back of my car.

Some colleagues have boats and always want tyres for their mooring...

So usually save the tyre "disposal" fees.#

I thought that the disposal fee was charged "on initial sale" (so you are
pre-paying for it, and thus can't avoid paying it)

specifically to stop people saying, "don't bother to dispose of it, my mate
has a good use for it" - and then dumping it in a hedge.

S.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article , alan_m

But the likes of ECP are basically a warehouse with a counter. And
usually busy. And given Ebay sales include free delivery, I'd love to
see a true breakdown of costs.

This morning I attempted to buy directly from the Saxton Blades web
site. I had problems with their checkout as it failed to accept any of
my email addresses and wouldn't let me proceed without an email address
it would recognise (this was not shopping as a "guest" customer and not
as registered account customer). I gave up and decided to see what I
could find on Ebay. Same item from the Saxton Ebay shop and cheaper
without the hassle of filling in their USA orientated point of sales
software questions/details.

I've met this with a US based website. Can't cope with .uk in an email
address. Probably with .anywhere too.

One I hate is where county is a required field. Don't think they exist in
much of london these days. And all you really need is the full postcode
and house number.

I usually end up with:

XXX street
London,
London
W1A 1AA

--
*Re-elect nobody

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"williamwright" wrote in message
One I hate is where county is a required field. Don't think they exist in
much of london these days. And all you really need is the full postcode
and house number.

I have sometimes inserted something absurd, and found it faithfully
reproduced when the parcel arrived.

and why not

is minimum wage numpty really expected to know that weird made up village
name, doesn't exist?

There are plenty of weird village names that do

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
Funny how we are supposedly able to grade millions of students with an
"algorithm" and yet can't appear to devise an even halfway decent search
feature for online stores. By which I mean one that when you search for
(say) an SSD drive, doesn't return a shed load of SSD holders that
somehow manage to remain in the search at £4.99 when you set the price
range to £50-100 (looks at Amazon). Mysteriously though, you can almost
always sort by colour.

eBay also has the added fun of trying to exclude China-shipped items.

The Ebay search option is the worst I ever use. But not helped by sellers
putting 'not XXX' in their description so their product appears in your
search for XXX.

which is the exact reason for them doing it

(usually in some hidden meta data)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
Funny how we are supposedly able to grade millions of students with an
"algorithm" and yet can't appear to devise an even halfway decent
search feature for online stores. By which I mean one that when you
search for (say) an SSD drive, doesn't return a shed load of SSD
holders that somehow manage to remain in the search at £4.99 when you
set the price range to £50-100 (looks at Amazon). Mysteriously though,
you can almost always sort by colour.

eBay also has the added fun of trying to exclude China-shipped items.

The Ebay search option is the worst I ever use. But not helped by
sellers putting 'not XXX' in their description so their product appears
in your search for XXX.

which is the exact reason for them doing it

(usually in some hidden meta data)

I've also noticed on LinkedIn a lot of MLM spivs have twigged that they
can prefix their scams with "Work from home" or "remote" to appear in all
listings.

The inablity of LinkedIn to deal with such incidents has been noted ...

Out of interest, have you ever got any work from LinkedIn? I joined it
early on and never ever did. So rather pointless here.

--
*The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 14:36:27 +0100, tim... wrote:

One I hate is where county is a required field. Don't think they exist in
much of london these days. And all you really need is the full postcode
and house number.

I usually end up with:

XXX street
London,
London
W1A 1AA

I try to put Northampton in County as my address doen't use the County;
Northamtonshire is in the address of a village of the same name 40-odd miles
away.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

but they are Working from Home jobs

how could you possibly filter them out on that basis?

what's changed here is the greater demand for WFH amongst people looking for
"normal" jobs. Not just people looking to make some money in between
sitting at home childminding

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
Out of interest, have you ever got any work from LinkedIn? I joined it
early on and never ever did. So rather pointless here.

It's descended into a morass of recruitment agencies and spivs, from my
POV. However, it's one of those things that it doesn't do any harm to be
on, if you know what you are doing.

I thought initially it would be ideal for a freelance like me. Firms
looking for last minute replacements, etc. But never ever saw anything of
interest.

I signed up in 2005 or 2006 - when it had promised. But then MS took
over, so that was that.

I got fed up with the incessant emails. And decided to leave it - and
couldn't find out how. A sort of virtual Hotel California. Think I ended
up kill filing them.

--
*Most people have more than the average number of legs*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message

Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

No they're not. They are invitiations to join a MLM scheme of some
description.

working from hone

what part of working from home do you not understand

Made abundantly clear when you see the weasel words about
average earnings etc etc.

how could you possibly filter them out on that basis?

Because they aren't jobs.

but there are lots of dodgy working from home non-jobs that aren't MLM

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 11:17:53 +0100, tim... wrote:

working from hone

what part of working from home do you not understand

What part of MLM don't you understand ?

none of it

Please explain why you think that it's working in an office

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 16:36:39 +0100, tim... wrote:

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 11:17:53 +0100, tim... wrote:

working from hone

what part of working from home do you not understand

What part of MLM don't you understand ?

none of it

Please explain why you think that it's working in an office

Ah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-level_marketing

whather that says I don't need it

I know exactly what MLM is

and there's no 2 ways about it

it's WORKING FROM HOME

HTH

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 11:17:53 +0100, tim... wrote:

working from hone

what part of working from home do you not understand

What part of MLM don't you understand ?

none of it

Please explain why you think that it's working in an office

Ah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-level_marketing

whather that says I don't need it

I know exactly what MLM is

and there's no 2 ways about it

it's WORKING FROM HOME

HTH

tim

Capitals or not, it's still not "working" but selling.

Working means you get paid, unlike MLM.

Writers call what they do "working" and often aren't paid.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 11:17:53 +0100, tim... wrote:

working from hone

what part of working from home do you not understand

What part of MLM don't you understand ?

none of it

Please explain why you think that it's working in an office

Ah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-level_marketing

whather that says I don't need it

I know exactly what MLM is

and there's no 2 ways about it

it's WORKING FROM HOME

HTH

tim

Capitals or not, it's still not "working" but selling.

Working means you get paid, unlike MLM.

there are loads of jobs that are selling

that doesn't stop then being employment AKA work

tim

Auto repair shop parts markup rangerssuck Metalworking 28 June 20th 14 10:52 PM
Tradesman (Hechinger) Bandsaw parts RTN About this forum 1 February 14th 12 07:00 AM
HVAC parts markup Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 35 November 16th 11 07:22 AM
Greatest markup ever? Andy UK diy 104 April 28th 06 07:26 PM
Tradesman (Hechinger) Bandsaw parts BJT Woodworking 2 January 13th 05 01:21 PM