Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Andy

Default Greatest markup ever?

I was in my local newsagent in London and saw he had a card of button
cells behind the till which he was selling at £2.99 each.

I recognised the card of cells as one which I can get from my local
pound shop for £1. It contains about 16 cells.

Considering that the pound shop makes a profit then it will already have
raised the price from something like 50p.

I can't say exactly what the mark up is here for the newsagent as he may
get left with oddment batteries that he can't sell but he makes a markup
of about £2.50 on 50p (500%) if he sold just one battery!

His total markup is in the thousands of percent.

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Andy" wrote in message

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

Just pop into a chemist and buy some perfume or aftershave.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Madge O'Reene

Soft drinks in pubs and night clubs - they buy the stuff in bulk as
concentrate and mix it with carbonated water on site. A £2.50 glass is
250ml and typically costs around 5p. Just as with the shop, you're
paying for the convenience.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:06:22 +0100 Andy wrote :
Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

Homebase selling green sleeving in packets for 99p for a 1m length?

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm
[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cuprager

Andy wrote:
I was in my local newsagent in London and saw he had a card of button
cells behind the till which he was selling at £2.99 each.

I recognised the card of cells as one which I can get from my local
pound shop for £1. It contains about 16 cells.

Considering that the pound shop makes a profit then it will already have
raised the price from something like 50p.

I can't say exactly what the mark up is here for the newsagent as he may
get left with oddment batteries that he can't sell but he makes a markup
of about £2.50 on 50p (500%) if he sold just one battery!

His total markup is in the thousands of percent.

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

B&Q doing flexi monobloc tap tails for a tenner when screwfix have them
for two quid!

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
me

"Madge O'Reene" wrote in message
ups.com...
Soft drinks in pubs and night clubs - they buy the stuff in bulk as
concentrate and mix it with carbonated water on site. A £2.50 glass is
250ml and typically costs around 5p. Just as with the shop, you're
paying for the convenience.

In a pub or club or cafe you are not buying a drink. You are spending time
in the owners property for which they have to pay he freehold or lease
costs, business rates, water rates, fuel for heating, lighting, and cooling
the place, all the furniture/carpets, glasses, equipment, staff costs,
repairs to damage every week, alarms, the list goes on...

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Andy wrote:
His total markup is in the thousands of percent.

Unless you know that he purchased the item from the same source as the pound
shop you cannot make that assumption. Pound shops generally do not provide the
continuity of products that is essential for trade. Comparing any other
business with them is unacceptable unless you also accept the possibility of
your retailers saying to you that the cells you require for essential
equipment can no longer be supplied - and you should have bought them last
week when they were dirt cheap.

A healthy economy does not function at the level of the sale of bankrupt
stock.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Madge O'Reene

me:
In a pub or club or cafe you are not buying a drink. You are spending time
in the owners property for which they have to pay he freehold or lease
costs, business rates, water rates, fuel for heating, lighting, and cooling
the place, all the furniture/carpets, glasses, equipment, staff costs,
repairs to damage every week, alarms, the list goes on...

Shops have many of those costs to cover too, along with all the theft
that takes place from their shops too. I'm certainly not criticising
either the shop or the pub for their mark up - with family in both
industries, I'm aware that there's a huge amount of costs to make up
between wholesale and retail prices. But pubs do make a much larger
margin on soft drinks than they do on alcoholic drinks.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

But pubs do make a much larger margin on soft drinks than
they do on alcoholic drinks.

I think it is justifiable, though. You can't drink many pints of Coke in the
same way you can with beer. I bet that statistically, a soft drinker will
spend a lot longer in the pub for one drink that the average beer drinker.
Therefore, soft drinks need to have a larger mark up to get a fairer share
of the fixed costs.

Christian.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Madge O'Reene

But pubs do make a much larger margin on soft drinks than
they do on alcoholic drinks.

Christian McArdle:
I think it is justifiable, though. You can't drink many pints of Coke in the
same way you can with beer. I bet that statistically, a soft drinker will
spend a lot longer in the pub for one drink that the average beer drinker.
Therefore, soft drinks need to have a larger mark up to get a fairer share
of the fixed costs.

I totally agree. In fact, whereever there's a free market, such as the
examples above, I believe that any pricing is fair and justifiable
pricing. Smart retailers know that profiteering is only good for the
short term.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Lostgallifreyan

"dennis@home" wrote in
. uk:

"Andy" wrote in message

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

Just pop into a chemist and buy some perfume or aftershave.

Or value the plastic and isopropanol in the average audio gear cleaning
kit.
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"Andy" wrote:
I was in my local newsagent in London and saw he had a card of button
cells behind the till which he was selling at £2.99 each.

I recognised the card of cells as one which I can get from my local
pound shop for £1. It contains about 16 cells.

Considering that the pound shop makes a profit then it will already have
raised the price from something like 50p.

I can't say exactly what the mark up is here for the newsagent as he may
get left with oddment batteries that he can't sell but he makes a markup
of about £2.50 on 50p (500%) if he sold just one battery!

His total markup is in the thousands of percent.

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

Yes, the water companies. They get their supplies FREE, waste at least a
third of it, then rip us off for the rest.

Phil

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Andy" wrote in message
I was in my local newsagent in London and saw he had a card of button
cells behind the till which he was selling at £2.99 each.

I recognised the card of cells as one which I can get from my local
pound shop for £1. It contains about 16 cells.

Considering that the pound shop makes a profit then it will already have
raised the price from something like 50p.

I can't say exactly what the mark up is here for the newsagent as he may
get left with oddment batteries that he can't sell but he makes a markup
of about £2.50 on 50p (500%) if he sold just one battery!

His total markup is in the thousands of percent.

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

I saw the same sort of thing in a shop in Lincoln some time ago.
Unbelievable!

Mary

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Madge O'Reene

Phil Anthropist:
Yes, the water companies. They get their supplies FREE, waste at least a
third of it, then rip us off for the rest.

Phil

Well, if you're being like that, any service industry could be said to
do the same - they don't produce, just "do things". In the case of the
water companies, they clean the water and deliver it to you on demand
(by and large). You don't have to use them - you *could* collect and
clean your own water.

For that matter, by your logic, you could say that (at the very least)
arable farmers "don't pay" for the produce they sell, although there
are a damned load of hidden costs that are needed to make the product
available to you.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Madge O'Reene

Mary Fisher:
I saw the same sort of thing in a shop in Lincoln some time ago.
Unbelievable!

Mary

Why is it unbelievable?

What do you do for a living? Are the the LOWEST PAID person doing your
job? In your company? In your town? In your country? In the world?
Unbelievable!

Here's a simple idea - if you think a shop is charging too much, don't
buy from them. If you think their margin is an acceptable price to pay
for the convenience, then do buy from them. Or are you against the
whole idea of shops making a profit, paying their staff and suppliers,
etc?

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
steeler

"Madge O'Reene" wrote in message
oups.com...
But pubs do make a much larger margin on soft drinks than
they do on alcoholic drinks.

Christian McArdle:
I think it is justifiable, though. You can't drink many pints of Coke in
the
same way you can with beer. I bet that statistically, a soft drinker will
spend a lot longer in the pub for one drink that the average beer drinker.
Therefore, soft drinks need to have a larger mark up to get a fairer share
of the fixed costs.

I totally agree. In fact, whereever there's a free market, such as the
examples above, I believe that any pricing is fair and justifiable
pricing. Smart retailers know that profiteering is only good for the
short term.

Causes problems when they are trying to promote a designated driver scheme
though.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Paul F

Madge O'Reene wrote:
What do you do for a living? Are the the LOWEST PAID person doing your
job? In your company? In your town? In your country? In the world?
Unbelievable!

??? WTFDTM? (work it out)
OK Madgy baby - we get the pictu everything is for the best in the best
of all free market worlds.
Give it a rest now, eh?

Yours bored with you
PaulF

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy McKenzie

"Phil Anthropist" wrote in message
"Andy" wrote:
I was in my local newsagent in London and saw he had a card of button
cells behind the till which he was selling at £2.99 each.

I recognised the card of cells as one which I can get from my local
pound shop for £1. It contains about 16 cells.

Considering that the pound shop makes a profit then it will already have
raised the price from something like 50p.

I can't say exactly what the mark up is here for the newsagent as he may
get left with oddment batteries that he can't sell but he makes a markup
of about £2.50 on 50p (500%) if he sold just one battery!

His total markup is in the thousands of percent.

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

Yes, the water companies. They get their supplies FREE, waste at least a
third of it, then rip us off for the rest.

Phil

So stop paying them - you are welcome to hire a drilling rig, drill a
borehole, install a pump and pump out the water you need. Building and
operating your own sewage plant might be harder but you could probably set
up a reed bed filtration scheme.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

So stop paying them - you are welcome to hire a drilling rig, drill a
borehole, install a pump and pump out the water you need. Building and
operating your own sewage plant might be harder but you could probably set
up a reed bed filtration scheme.

Actually, doing the sewage is easy with a Klargester Biodisc. Assuming the
groundwater supply is OK, a borehole up to 20m3 a day doesn't even need
permission. Drilling it could be expensive, though!

Christian.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
But pubs do make a much larger margin on soft drinks than
they do on alcoholic drinks.

I think it is justifiable, though. You can't drink many pints of Coke in
the
same way you can with beer. I bet that statistically, a soft drinker will
spend a lot longer in the pub for one drink that the average beer drinker.

Rubbish.
I can drink pint for pint Pepsi Max with a beer drinker.
And I don't get drunk and smash the place up either.

Therefore, soft drinks need to have a larger mark up to get a fairer share
of the fixed costs.

Its just profitering, nothing to do with increased costs.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Dr Zoidberg

Andy wrote:
I was in my local newsagent in London and saw he had a card of button
cells behind the till which he was selling at £2.99 each.

I recognised the card of cells as one which I can get from my local
pound shop for £1. It contains about 16 cells.

Considering that the pound shop makes a profit then it will already
have raised the price from something like 50p.

I can't say exactly what the mark up is here for the newsagent as he
may get left with oddment batteries that he can't sell but he makes a
markup of about £2.50 on 50p (500%) if he sold just one battery!

His total markup is in the thousands of percent.

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

Tandy used to sell speaker cable at £2.99 which had a store cost of about 6p
a metre which wasn't bad margin at all.
--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Dr Zoidberg

dennis@home wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote in
message ...
But pubs do make a much larger margin on soft drinks than
they do on alcoholic drinks.

I think it is justifiable, though. You can't drink many pints of
Coke in the
same way you can with beer. I bet that statistically, a soft drinker
will spend a lot longer in the pub for one drink that the average
beer drinker.

Rubbish.
I can drink pint for pint Pepsi Max with a beer drinker.

Same here.
I find myself going to the loo just as often as well.

It does annoy me to be charged more for coke than beer though. Perhaps if
pubs sold some soft drinks at more reasonable prices they would get more
people acting as designated drivers.
--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Doki

"Madge O'Reene" wrote in message
oups.com...
Phil Anthropist:
Yes, the water companies. They get their supplies FREE, waste at least a
third of it, then rip us off for the rest.

Phil

Well, if you're being like that, any service industry could be said to
do the same - they don't produce, just "do things". In the case of the
water companies, they clean the water and deliver it to you on demand
(by and large). You don't have to use them - you *could* collect and
clean your own water.

For that matter, by your logic, you could say that (at the very least)
arable farmers "don't pay" for the produce they sell, although there
are a damned load of hidden costs that are needed to make the product
available to you.

Farmers pay for the seed or plant. Most commercial varieties are owned by
someone and you have to pay them for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doki

"Andy" wrote:
[...]

Mmm. Nothing like a nice bit of seepage. Sprays and fertiliser .

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

It does annoy me to be charged more for coke than beer though. Perhaps if
pubs sold some soft drinks at more reasonable prices they would get more
people acting as designated drivers.

The idea that you have the right to go around killing people on a drink
driving bender because Coke costs 2 quid a pop is ridiculous.

It isn't the responsibility of the bar to ensure you don't drink drive. It
is the responsibility of the bar to continue trading and making profits.

People should take responsibility for their own actions.

Christian.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:06:22 +0100, Andy wrote:

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

Original manufacturers ink for an inkjet printer

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Andy wrote:

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

Ever looked at the price of a USB lead in PC world?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Madge O'Reene" wrote in message
ups.com...
Mary Fisher:
I saw the same sort of thing in a shop in Lincoln some time ago.
Unbelievable!

Mary

Why is it unbelievable?

What do you do for a living? Are the the LOWEST PAID person doing your
job? In your company? In your town? In your country? In the world?
Unbelievable!

You're making assumptions.

Here's a simple idea - if you think a shop is charging too much, don't
buy from them.

I didn't. I SAW it.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Dr Zoidberg

Christian McArdle wrote:
It does annoy me to be charged more for coke than beer though.
Perhaps if pubs sold some soft drinks at more reasonable prices they
would get more people acting as designated drivers.

The idea that you have the right to go around killing people on a
drink driving bender because Coke costs 2 quid a pop is ridiculous.

Feel free to point out when I claimed that?

I regularly drive to the pub and drink soft drinks , but I frequently hear
other people in the pub making comments about how they aren't going to pay
more for orange juice than lager and am sure that if soft drinks were a
cheaper alternative many of them would be under the limit instead of over
it. That doesn't mean I approve , but it certainly happens.

And before anyone asks , yes I have reported people to the police when I
know they are ****ed and planning to drive home (and I know what car they
are driving)

--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Mindwipe

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Andy wrote:

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

Ever looked at the price of a USB lead in PC world?

--
Cheers,

John.

ok cant be arsed to read them all but here you go
garage i worked at (main dealer) used to buy bags of cable ties at £6 for a
bag of 6000 ties
they were booked out at £1 each (when issued to jobs)
thats £6000 a bag therefore £5994 profit

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Tim Williams

High end tube amps. Or any audio in that bracket, for that matter.
Think $30k apiece.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.

"Andy" wrote in message
I was in my local newsagent in London and saw he had a card of button
cells behind the till which he was selling at £2.99 each.

I recognised the card of cells as one which I can get from my local
pound shop for £1. It contains about 16 cells.

Considering that the pound shop makes a profit then it will already have
raised the price from something like 50p.

I can't say exactly what the mark up is here for the newsagent as he may
get left with oddment batteries that he can't sell but he makes a markup
of about £2.50 on 50p (500%) if he sold just one battery!

His total markup is in the thousands of percent.

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Andy" wrote in message
I was in my local newsagent in London and saw he had a card of button
cells behind the till which he was selling at £2.99 each.

I recognised the card of cells as one which I can get from my local
pound shop for £1. It contains about 16 cells.

Considering that the pound shop makes a profit then it will already have
raised the price from something like 50p.

If it was, indeed the same product, it will have been bought from somewhere
that specialises in bankrupt and surplus stock sales, so the selling price
is no indication of the original trade sale price. However, pound shops also
sell remanufactured button cells, often in packs that look a lot like
manufacturers' original packs, which do not have the life of new cells.

Colin Bignell

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from John Rumm contains these words:

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

Ever looked at the price of a USB lead in PC world?

Though to be fair, they do actually work. The AB I bought from
Poundland the other day didn't. But then so did the one I bought from
the market for £1.50 which is about 1/10th of PCW's price.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Mindwipe" jeffinleeds@nospam contains these words:

ok cant be arsed to read them all but here you go
garage i worked at (main dealer) used to buy bags of cable ties at £6 for a
bag of 6000 ties
they were booked out at £1 each (when issued to jobs)
thats £6000 a bag therefore £5994 profit

Bet they didn't miss the chance to charge half an hour's labour to fit
it, either.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y

Andy wrote:

I was in my local newsagent in London and saw he had a card of button
cells behind the till which he was selling at £2.99 each.

I recognised the card of cells as one which I can get from my local
pound shop for £1. It contains about 16 cells.

Considering that the pound shop makes a profit then it will already have
raised the price from something like 50p.

I can't say exactly what the mark up is here for the newsagent as he may
get left with oddment batteries that he can't sell but he makes a markup
of about £2.50 on 50p (500%) if he sold just one battery!

His total markup is in the thousands of percent.

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

packs of screws in Robert Dyas. I forget exactly, it was £1 or £1.50
for 4 6 or 8 screws. Either way, kinda high.

NT

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Rob Walker

"Madge O'Reene" wrote in message
ups.com...
Soft drinks in pubs and night clubs - they buy the stuff in bulk as
concentrate and mix it with carbonated water on site. A £2.50 glass is
250ml and typically costs around 5p. Just as with the shop, you're
paying for the convenience.

yikes what pubs charge £2.50 for a coke??
They wouldn't dare charge that up 'ere int' north.... In fact I don't even
pay that for a pint :-)

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Rob Walker

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from John Rumm contains these words:

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

Ever looked at the price of a USB lead in PC world?

Though to be fair, they do actually work.

they effin should do for £15! :-)

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Dr Zoidberg

Peter Parry wrote:
On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:06:22 +0100, Andy wrote:

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

Original manufacturers ink for an inkjet printer

At the store level there isn't that much profit.
A ten quid cartridge used to be about a fiver store cost.
The manufacturers make a pretty large profit on making them for a few pence
and selling them to the retailers.
--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Michael A. Terrell

"nightjar

If it was, indeed the same product, it will have been bought from somewhere
that specialises in bankrupt and surplus stock sales, so the selling price
is no indication of the original trade sale price. However, pound shops also
sell remanufactured button cells, often in packs that look a lot like
manufacturers' original packs, which do not have the life of new cells.

Colin Bignell

Where in hell would you find anyone who is stupid enough to
remanufacture lithium cells? They are cheap, made on automated machines
and likely untouched by human hands until installed into your toys.
Short life is caused by one of two things. They have been in stock for
too long, or they were crap when they were made in some Chinese or third
world factory.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell