Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave
Too_Many_Tools

Default The 50 Greatest Gadgets of the Past 50 Years

The 50 Greatest Gadgets of the Past 50 Years ....do you agree?

Any that you think they overlooked?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2005...E0BHNlYwN0bWE-

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave
wavetrapper

While not overly popular, the mini-disc recorder/player (Sony) is one
fanatastic gadget. It would be in my top 50 for sure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave
Pete C.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

The 50 Greatest Gadgets of the Past 50 Years ....do you agree?

Any that you think they overlooked?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2005...E0BHNlYwN0bWE-

They list the Apple Newton at #28 and indicate that it "paved the way
for smaller, simpler devices like the PalmPilot", but in fact like many
of the things that are hyped as being invented by Apple, the Newton was
once again a rehash of someone else's product.

The Casio Databank PF8000 predated the Newton by nearly a decade, I got
mine in about 1985, had handwriting recognition remarkably similar to
the "graffiti" that showed up in the PalmPilot much much later and a
whopping 4K of memory with the extra 2K expansion pack.

For those who never saw the PF8000, it is/was about 5" wide, 3" high and
1/4" thick with a 2" square or so touch pad area at the right which
functioned both for handwritten text input without the need for a
stylus, and also doubled as a calculator touch pad. The Databank watches
came quite a bit later.

For those who think the somewhat ill fated Apple Newton was a technology
leader way ahead of it's time, Casio beat Apple both by a decade and
with better functionality, usability and ergonomics.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal written at the time the
Newton got the ax. It pointed out that the Newton enjoyed popularity
among young physicians working as interns and residents in hospitals.
They were sorry to see it go. I can't comment on the Casio. Probably
the same reaction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave
Ralph Mowery

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
The 50 Greatest Gadgets of the Past 50 Years ....do you agree?

Any that you think they overlooked?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2005...E0BHNlYwN0bWE-

Where is the Clapper ? Did I miss it ?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave

I didn't see clip-in pedals or aerobars.

They rank right up near the top with me.

Lewis

*******

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave

Any that you think they overlooked?

I doubt they polled any women - otherwise I would expect to see the BOB
(Battery Operated Boyfriend).

Ed

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave
Franc Zabkar

On 25 Dec 2005 08:28:42 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

The 50 Greatest Gadgets of the Past 50 Years ....do you agree?

Any that you think they overlooked?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2005...E0BHNlYwN0bWE-

I'd have to take issue with the choice of Microsoft Intellimouse
Explorer (1999). The first optical mice were available at least 15
years (?) before, albeit with a metal pad and hefty price tag. I'm
still using a serial Mouse Systems mouse of that era. I also recall
paying about AU$40 for a Taiwanese serial optical mouse in 1990. I
can't understand why PC World believes that MS's product is "the first
mainstream optical mouse".

I'd also have given an award to the Casio and Sharp organisers of the
early 90's.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave
James Sweet

I'd have to take issue with the choice of Microsoft Intellimouse
Explorer (1999). The first optical mice were available at least 15
years (?) before, albeit with a metal pad and hefty price tag. I'm
still using a serial Mouse Systems mouse of that era. I also recall
paying about AU$40 for a Taiwanese serial optical mouse in 1990. I
can't understand why PC World believes that MS's product is "the first
mainstream optical mouse".

I had one of those optical mice with the metal pad, it worked well at
the time but the modern optical mice are infinitely better. They provide
the advantages of optical along with those of mechanical mice for the
best of both worlds. I was never fond of the Intellimouse Explorer
ergonomic design, in fact I didn't like it at all, but the standard
Intellimouse optical that was offered for a short time, as well as the
Logitech models are quite good.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Jon Elson

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
The 50 Greatest Gadgets of the Past 50 Years ....do you agree?

Any that you think they overlooked?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2005...E0BHNlYwN0bWE-

What IMBECILE came up with this list? They are all TOYS!

Let's see, the jet engine is probably just a bit too old to stay on the
list. And, I guess the transistor has run off the edge, too. The
integrated circuit is still less than 50 years old. Microwave
oven? The internet? Solid state computers? Silicon memory technology?
Disk drives? laser printers? Ink jet printers? VCRs? Lasers?
CAT scanners, MRI, ultrasound?

Oh, I get it! Gadgets! Not just inventions, but gadget as "useless
gott-have-it junk". OK, now the list makes sense.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave

On 25 Dec 2005 14:46:09 -0800, wrote:

Any that you think they overlooked?

I doubt they polled any women - otherwise I would expect to see the BOB
(Battery Operated Boyfriend).

They arrived much earlier.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave
Has

wrote in message
oups.com...

Any that you think they overlooked?

I doubt they polled any women - otherwise I would expect to see the BOB
(Battery Operated Boyfriend).

Ed

The list is of course limited to nerdy gadgets--"we considered only those
items whose digital descendants are covered in PC World"

Than again, I may have missed the vibrator issue...

-Has

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave
Barry in Wyoming

The first in dash CD player should be on the list.

Also the first radar detector.

I'd nominate the hp 95LX as the first pocket computer, even before the
Newton.

I'd also put the Timex Ironman on the list. This little simple
multifunction watch is the best selling "computer" ever produced. I
own three including the one I'm wearing now which is 20 years old and
predates "Indiglo."

50 years is a long time. How about the Bullova Accutron "tuning fork"
watch.

No GPS? Surely I'd put the Garmin eTrex series on the list, or the
Gecko.

Bicycle computers.

Leatherman multi-tools.

That list is too far weighted towards audio and not broad enough in
scope.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

I vote for cordless tools Can't live wthout em

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Every House Wife's Dream "The Electric Can Opener" ~ RHF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_appliance
Followed by every other "Time Saving" and "Work Saving"
Electrical Kitchen, Household and Personal Appliances :
including the Vacuum Cleaner and the Washer and Dryer

Plus Every Power Tool Know to Man !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Tool

READ - The List of Edison Patents
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Edison_patents

The Electric Light Bulb followed by the Compact Fluorescent
Lamp (CFL) and then the Light Emitting Diode (LED)

The Telegraph followed by the Telephone
and then the Cellular Phone.

The Phonograph Record followed by the Tape Recorder
and then the Video Tape and the DVD Recorder/Players.

The Radio followed by the TV Set
and then Digital Cable and Satellite TV Systems

The Home Computer followed by the Everything Digital !

For those Who Are Into Something - Low-Tech and No-Tech :

* Solid State In-Organic - The Pet Rock !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_rock

* Organic - The Chia Pet !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chia_pet
http://www.cooltvproducts1.com/Categ...source=froogle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave
Alan Holmes

"Barry in Wyoming" wrote in message
ups.com...
The first in dash CD player should be on the list.

Also the first radar detector.

The first radar detector was developed around 1942!

Alan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 26 Dec 2005 06:21:45 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

[...]

Do you ever take a break from shooting speed?

This is the best can opener ever made:

http://www.ccrane.com/more-categorie...an-opener.aspx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default (OT) : DaviD Asks Himself - " Do you ever take a break from shooting speed? "

DaviD Asks Himself - " Do you ever take a break from shooting speed? "

DaviD - One of America's Many Freedoms :
Manual -or- Electric - The Choice Is Yours !

FWIW - My Manual Bottle Opener - Talks To Me ! )
{ It's Time For A Beer ! }
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave
m II

Barry in Wyoming wrote:

I'd nominate the hp 95LX as the first pocket computer, even before the
Newton.

I disagree. Almost twenty years before (1974) that they had the HP-65.
It even had a magnetic card writer/reader for saving data or programs.

=====================================
HP introduces the first minicomputer to be based on 4K dynamic random
access memory chips (DRAM) instead of magnetic cores.

The world's first programmable pocket calculator, the HP-65, is
introduced at $795. Its programmability will later lead some to call it
the world's first handheld computer.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/his.../hist_70s.html
====================================

I don't like the direction the company has taken. My experiences with
some of their printers have soured me on the 'new' HP. I loved their
products and philosophy until the end of the HP 41 era. They've turned
into just another mass marketer, with all the cheap plastic trappings
that accompany that mindset. .

mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Gunner Asch

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 00:20:06 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
The 50 Greatest Gadgets of the Past 50 Years ....do you agree?

Any that you think they overlooked?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2005...E0BHNlYwN0bWE-

What IMBECILE came up with this list? They are all TOYS!

Let's see, the jet engine is probably just a bit too old to stay on the
list. And, I guess the transistor has run off the edge, too. The
integrated circuit is still less than 50 years old. Microwave
oven? The internet? Solid state computers? Silicon memory technology?
Disk drives? laser printers? Ink jet printers? VCRs? Lasers?
CAT scanners, MRI, ultrasound?

Oh, I get it! Gadgets! Not just inventions, but gadget as "useless
gott-have-it junk". OK, now the list makes sense.

Jon

When the Sharper Image catloge is used as a testimoney to
civilizations climb from the muck...we got problems with the culture.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Jon Elson

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 00:20:06 -0600, Jon Elson

Oh, I get it! Gadgets! Not just inventions, but gadget as "useless
gott-have-it junk". OK, now the list makes sense.

Jon

When the Sharper Image catloge is used as a testimoney to
civilizations climb from the muck...we got problems with the culture.

I'm not even sure most of this stuff would make it into Sharper Image's
catalog! But, yeah, you're absolutely right!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

m II wrote:
I don't like the direction the company has taken. My experiences with
some of their printers have soured me on the 'new' HP. I loved their
products and philosophy until the end of the HP 41 era. They've turned
into just another mass marketer, with all the cheap plastic trappings
that accompany that mindset. .

I just never could follow a mindset that expresses an equation as

one enter one plus two

when it's meant to be

one plus one equals two

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"clifto" wrote in message
m II wrote:
I don't like the direction the company has taken. My experiences with
some of their printers have soured me on the 'new' HP. I loved their
products and philosophy until the end of the HP 41 era. They've turned
into just another mass marketer, with all the cheap plastic trappings
that accompany that mindset. .

I just never could follow a mindset that expresses an equation as

one enter one plus two

when it's meant to be

one plus one equals two

I have two HPs (12C and 15C) and a TI-83 Plus at my desk. When I want to get
something done fast and sure, I use the HPs. When I need a graph or a table
and don't mind being tedious, I use the TI.

Once you get into it, you realize that RPN is about how the calculation
actually *is done*, whether you do it by hand or by the computing device.
Algebraic notation (the TI) is about how you *write it*, which has little to
do with how it's actually done.

RPN probably will fade away, but it's had a great run among scientists,
engineers, and the top financial people. If your banker pulls out an HP-12C
when you sit down to discuss a loan, watch out. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Ed Huntress wrote:
"clifto" wrote in message

m II wrote:

[...]

Hardly. I have RPN calculator programs that work on Windows, Linux and
palm systems. I also have a couple of older HPs that still work fine.
The advantage is that you don't have to write down intermediate values,
which you absolutely have to do with any calculator that doesn't have
either RPN or parentheses.

Recent HP printers are an abomination, and they make no effort to hide
that they give the printers away so they can sell you expensive
cartridges designed so you have to discard expensive stuff (either
laser or ink jet) rather than refill just what is depleted. The latest
wars between the refill suppliers, and the serial numbered cartridge
set up so you can't reuse a print cartridge, is the ultimate assault
on the consumer. Buyers of those printers with such anti-consumer
features ought to sue HP and other makers of such equipment. Imagine
if automakers put an explosive charge in their engines, so when you
hit 100,000 miles the bomb goes off and reduces your engine to scrap
metal. That's what these print cartridges are trying to do on a small
scale.

(rant off)

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Shuman

"clifto" wrote in message
m II wrote:
I don't like the direction the company has taken. My experiences with
some of their printers have soured me on the 'new' HP. I loved their
products and philosophy until the end of the HP 41 era. They've turned
into just another mass marketer, with all the cheap plastic trappings
that accompany that mindset. .

I just never could follow a mindset that expresses an equation as

one enter one plus two

when it's meant to be

one plus one equals two

This is what was called "Reverse Polish Notation" for the HP calculators.
It was only popular with a select group of engineers and scientists even
though it did not require parenthesis for complex equations. It lost the
marketing war to the more popular standard notation used by TI.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

The 50 Greatest Gadgets of the Past 50 Years ....do you agree?

I still use my Tandy 100 computer for short notes and calculations
using programmes I wrote in the early 80's. When I go away it goes in
the caravan for keeping fuel records etc. I also still have my
Tandy Model 3, but it is stored in a cupboard in my workshop
Alan
in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8
VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Really fast once you get the hang of it, which happens quickly. I have
two HP15c's, an HP11c, an HP12c, and an HP41cv.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Kraus

I just never could follow a mindset that expresses an equation as

one enter one plus two

when it's meant to be

one plus one equals two

RPN had the advantage of unambiguous operation order (I don't think you
need parenthesis) but not following convention makes it alien to most
people.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Vidar Løkken

clifto wrote this in
:

I just never could follow a mindset that expresses an equation as

one enter one plus two

when it's meant to be

one plus one equals two

It's called Reverse Polish Notation (RNP), and is actually great for
entering long equations and such, because you can skip out paranthesis,
and stuff like that. You get things in Right Order(TM).

Ok, I'll admit it takes a while to get used to, but the stack based
layout is heaven. Especially if you happen to program in stack-based
languages.

Recently, I had a exam where my HP-48 was not allowed (not classified as
a simple calculator), thus had to use some Casio POS. It was horrible.
Was never sure where the calculator required () to get the right
answers, simply because I was not used to think of those. I discovered
that 4*5+2 is different from 4 5 2 + *
So, my advise is simply to get used to RPN, and enjoy it. I'm lovin it!

--
MVH,
Vidar

www.bitsex.net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

It lost the war when the schools let young kids bring them to school and use them.
Once the volume got over the top - and in all homes - HP didn't have much a volume
just in tech - but tech keeps buying every one they can.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Bob Shuman wrote:
"clifto" wrote in message

m II wrote:

I don't like the direction the company has taken. My experiences with
some of their printers have soured me on the 'new' HP. I loved their
products and philosophy until the end of the HP 41 era. They've turned
into just another mass marketer, with all the cheap plastic trappings
that accompany that mindset. .

I just never could follow a mindset that expresses an equation as

one enter one plus two

when it's meant to be

one plus one equals two

This is what was called "Reverse Polish Notation" for the HP calculators.
It was only popular with a select group of engineers and scientists even
though it did not require parenthesis for complex equations. It lost the
marketing war to the more popular standard notation used by TI.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
J. Clarke

Jon Elson wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
The 50 Greatest Gadgets of the Past 50 Years ....do you agree?

Any that you think they overlooked?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2005...E0BHNlYwN0bWE-

What IMBECILE came up with this list? They are all TOYS!

And variations on toys. The cell phone belongs on the list. And the PDA
and the CD. Not endless variations of them though. DVD I'm not sure--it's
really a growth version of the CD. VHS perhaps--it's what brought
recordable video to the masses, still it's in a sense a growth version of
an audio cassette. ABS--while it existed for aircraft for a long time it
was Mercedes opening their ABS patents that let to its being adopted widely
in the automotive industry. When was the radial-ply tire invented? The
first NC machine and the first industrial robot were both demonstrated in
1955 so not sure whether to count them in "the last 50 years". Manned
spaceflight isn't a "gadget" but it's certainly a major achievement.

Let's see, the jet engine is probably just a bit too old to stay on the
list.

Yep. In service in WWII.

And, I guess the transistor has run off the edge, too. The
integrated circuit is still less than 50 years old. Microwave
oven? The internet? Solid state computers? Silicon memory technology?
Disk drives? laser printers? Ink jet printers? VCRs? Lasers?
CAT scanners, MRI, ultrasound?

Oh, I get it! Gadgets! Not just inventions, but gadget as "useless
gott-have-it junk". OK, now the list makes sense.

It really looks like something some kid composed.

Jon

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

In article ,
clifto wrote:

m II wrote:
I don't like the direction the company has taken. My experiences with
some of their printers have soured me on the 'new' HP. I loved their
products and philosophy until the end of the HP 41 era. They've turned
into just another mass marketer, with all the cheap plastic trappings
that accompany that mindset. .

I just never could follow a mindset that expresses an equation as

one enter one plus two [RPN]

when it's meant to be

one plus one equals two [Algebraic]

There was quite the debate on the relative merits of RPN versus
Algebraic entry in the engineering world 10 or 15 years ago. What
settled it (at least for me) was the observation that the example RPN
programs in the user guides for such things as mortgage calculation took
only 2/3 the strokes as the corresponding Algebraic programs. These
programs are written by expert programmers who work for the respective
manufacturers, so it's a fair comparison.

Aside from the technical advantage, there is the fact that people don't
try to borrow my calculator a second time.

But RPN is dead in the market - HP no longer makes RPN calculators, or
perhaps has one holdout, soon to vanish. Actually, the 12C (financial)
is still sold.

Joe Gwinn, who has something like ten RPN calculators, and hopes they
will last longer than he will
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael A. Terrell

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

http://www.bellsystemmemorial.com/pdf/whitealice.pdf

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael A. Terrell

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

http://www.bellsystemmemorial.com/pdf/whitealice.pdf is interesting.
it was still in use when I was stationed at Ft Greely, Ak. in the early
'70s.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

OT- Did the Prez lie about WMD? Gunner Metalworking 127 December 18th 03 01:36 PM
Super Volcanoes Gunner Metalworking 1 November 29th 03 01:40 PM
gas boiler thermocouple Stoney UK diy 56 October 20th 03 09:02 PM
Extending ledger past the roof line AgaPSDIVER Home Repair 2 August 26th 03 08:59 PM
What is the future of manufacturing? Hardwired Metalworking 157 August 22nd 03 01:14 AM