Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Vidar Løkken

Default The 50 Greatest Gadgets of the Past 50 Years

clifto wrote this in
:

I just never could follow a mindset that expresses an equation as

one enter one plus two

when it's meant to be

one plus one equals two

It's called Reverse Polish Notation (RNP), and is actually great for
entering long equations and such, because you can skip out paranthesis,
and stuff like that. You get things in Right Order(TM).

Ok, I'll admit it takes a while to get used to, but the stack based
layout is heaven. Especially if you happen to program in stack-based
languages.

Recently, I had a exam where my HP-48 was not allowed (not classified as
a simple calculator), thus had to use some Casio POS. It was horrible.
Was never sure where the calculator required () to get the right
answers, simply because I was not used to think of those. I discovered
that 4*5+2 is different from 4 5 2 + *
So, my advise is simply to get used to RPN, and enjoy it. I'm lovin it!

--
MVH,
Vidar

www.bitsex.net