Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

Default The 50 Greatest Gadgets of the Past 50 Years

"clifto" wrote in message
m II wrote:
I don't like the direction the company has taken. My experiences with
some of their printers have soured me on the 'new' HP. I loved their
products and philosophy until the end of the HP 41 era. They've turned
into just another mass marketer, with all the cheap plastic trappings
that accompany that mindset. .

I just never could follow a mindset that expresses an equation as

one enter one plus two

when it's meant to be

one plus one equals two

I have two HPs (12C and 15C) and a TI-83 Plus at my desk. When I want to get
something done fast and sure, I use the HPs. When I need a graph or a table
and don't mind being tedious, I use the TI.

Once you get into it, you realize that RPN is about how the calculation
actually *is done*, whether you do it by hand or by the computing device.
Algebraic notation (the TI) is about how you *write it*, which has little to
do with how it's actually done.

RPN probably will fade away, but it's had a great run among scientists,
engineers, and the top financial people. If your banker pulls out an HP-12C
when you sit down to discuss a loan, watch out. g

--
Ed Huntress