Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave
James Sweet

Default The 50 Greatest Gadgets of the Past 50 Years

I'd have to take issue with the choice of Microsoft Intellimouse
Explorer (1999). The first optical mice were available at least 15
years (?) before, albeit with a metal pad and hefty price tag. I'm
still using a serial Mouse Systems mouse of that era. I also recall
paying about AU$40 for a Taiwanese serial optical mouse in 1990. I
can't understand why PC World believes that MS's product is "the first
mainstream optical mouse".

I had one of those optical mice with the metal pad, it worked well at
the time but the modern optical mice are infinitely better. They provide
the advantages of optical along with those of mechanical mice for the
best of both worlds. I was never fond of the Intellimouse Explorer
ergonomic design, in fact I didn't like it at all, but the standard
Intellimouse optical that was offered for a short time, as well as the
Logitech models are quite good.