Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.shortwave
m II

Default The 50 Greatest Gadgets of the Past 50 Years

Barry in Wyoming wrote:

I'd nominate the hp 95LX as the first pocket computer, even before the
Newton.

I disagree. Almost twenty years before (1974) that they had the HP-65.
It even had a magnetic card writer/reader for saving data or programs.

=====================================
HP introduces the first minicomputer to be based on 4K dynamic random
access memory chips (DRAM) instead of magnetic cores.

The world's first programmable pocket calculator, the HP-65, is
introduced at $795. Its programmability will later lead some to call it
the world's first handheld computer.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/his.../hist_70s.html

I don't like the direction the company has taken. My experiences with
some of their printers have soured me on the 'new' HP. I loved their
products and philosophy until the end of the HP 41 era. They've turned
into just another mass marketer, with all the cheap plastic trappings
that accompany that mindset. .

mike