Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Taking the top off a 55 gallon drum

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery). How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator? I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas? Thanks.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2020 17:47, Jimk wrote:
Graeme Wrote in message:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery). How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator? I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas? Thanks.

Borrow something ?
Hire something?

Do you have a jigsaw? A proper hacksaw blade in a jigsaw will make
relatively short work of that. Or a sabre saw with a metal cutting
blade, although those are more of a beast to handle.

When I made one a few years ago I found it worthwhile to make a stand
out of angle iron, to keep it a foot or so above the ground to prevent
destroying a lawn.

The other thing, don't expect a very long life out of them. I am
currently tempted to buy a ready-made galvanised one, rather than making
a replacement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graeme
writes

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery). How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator? I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas? Thanks.

The other DIY favourite, the pressure washer ?. If you've got one with
a sand blasting attachment, it might work, albeit slowly. However it
will probably be quicker (and cheaper ?) to buy (or hire) an angle
grinder and cutting disc.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme Wrote in message:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery). How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator? I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas? Thanks.

Borrow something ?
Hire something?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2020 17:36:19, Graeme wrote:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery).Â* How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator?Â* I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas?Â* Thanks.

The others plus:
Oxy-propane
Plasma cutter

I suspect the drum is made of thinnish steel so as others have said a
jigsaw is perhaps the easiest way where tools at hand are limited.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery). How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator? I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas? Thanks.

A bolster chisel and lots of elbow grease? ISTR doing this in the
distant past.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 01/10/2020 19:45, Fredxx wrote:
On 01/10/2020 17:36:19, Graeme wrote:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup
used in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery).Â* How best to
remove the top, to make an incinerator?Â* I have neither angle grinder
nor air chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas?Â* Thanks.

The others plus:
Oxy-propane
Plasma cutter

I suspect the drum is made of thinnish steel so as others have said a
jigsaw is perhaps the easiest way where tools at hand are limited.

Plus ear defenders!

You could do it with a hacksaw, if you didn't want to disturb the
neighbours.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2020 17:51, newshound wrote:
On 01/10/2020 17:47, Jimk wrote:
Graeme Wrote in message:

[...]

No point paying extra for a galvanized one because the heat of the
incinerator will soon burn it off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2020 19:53, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Graeme wrote:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery). How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator? I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas? Thanks.

A bolster chisel and lots of elbow grease? ISTR doing this in the
distant past.

Chris

Old-fashioned tin opener ?, depending on metal thickness.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2020 17:47, Jimk wrote:
Graeme Wrote in message:

[...]

As might be expected steel drums come in a variety of gauges and
thicknesses apparently ranging from 0.8mm to 1.5mm depending on
their intended use.

The ease with which its possible to saw through the top of one, may not be
entirely unconnected to its general longevity. But that's' only a guess of course,

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2020 19:54, GB wrote:
On 01/10/2020 19:45, Fredxx wrote:
On 01/10/2020 17:36:19, Graeme wrote:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup
used in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery).Â* How best to
remove the top, to make an incinerator?Â* I have neither angle grinder
nor air chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas?Â* Thanks.

The others plus:
Oxy-propane
Plasma cutter

I suspect the drum is made of thinnish steel so as others have said a
jigsaw is perhaps the easiest way where tools at hand are limited.

Plus ear defenders!

You could do it with a hacksaw, if you didn't want to disturb the
neighbours.

I don't think this would be a problem at jigsaw speeds. You could always
fill it with water first.

I *think* I did my last one with an angle grinder, but now I might use
the big Evo circular saw with its "wood or metal" blade.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery). How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator? I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas? Thanks.

A bolster chisel and lots of elbow grease? ISTR doing this in the
distant past.

Chris

Old-fashioned tin opener ?, depending on metal thickness.

Wall mount or hand held?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fredxx
writes
On 01/10/2020 17:36:19, Graeme wrote:
I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup
used in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery).* How best to
remove the top

I suspect the drum is made of thinnish steel so as others have said a
jigsaw is perhaps the easiest way where tools at hand are limited.

Thanks chaps. Yes, I do have a fairly old but reliable B&D jigsaw, and
a selection of blades, almost certainly including a metal cutting blade.
That is now Plan A, but at slow cutting speed? Will fast just take the
teeth off the blade in short order?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 22:33:59 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

snip

Thanks chaps. Yes, I do have a fairly old but reliable B&D jigsaw, and
a selection of blades, almost certainly including a metal cutting blade.

You might need 'blades', depending ... ;-)

That is now Plan A, but at slow cutting speed?

There are formulae for the right speed for cutting all sorts of
materials, with and without lube and so to answer that we may need to
know the thickness of the steel and the pitch of the blade (which I
think ideally needs to be 'matched' (or within certain criteria)).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speeds...#Cutting_speed

https://www.bosch-professional.com/p...592774-ocs-ac/

https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/...ed-of-a-jigsaw

Will fast just take the
teeth off the blade in short order?

If the cutting action heats the blade too much, potentially 'yes' but
again, how / when / if that happens depends on the above, the quality
of the blade and how hard you push it?

If you have a variable speed jobby then you can often get a feel of
what seems to work best (for fast it goes though the material) and at
what points (fast / slow) it seems like nothing is happening.

The other thing is if you have a rake(?) control, the blade going
forward, up, back, down or not. Sometimes adjusting that (probably
none or 1 on thin steel, depending on the quality of the blade etc
etc) and again, it will often tell you what's right (or not if it
grabs) by how 'nicely' it cuts.

And that often = the fastest cut with the least effort from you and
with no grabbing.

I was wondering, if you cut it off a bit from the top, if you could
make a support / base with the top? Cut some legs / holes in it to let
the heat out / air in (if you have holes in the bottom) and wire it to
the main part with some coat hanger?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery). How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator? I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas? Thanks.

There's actually a tool for that. The advert doesn't say what
kind of musculature is necessary to work the tool. Imagine
a can opener on steroids.

https://www.thecarycompany.com/conta...ries/deheaders

Drum deheader $ 64
Heavy duty drum deheader $ 84
Non-sparking drum deheader $ 392
Electric drum deheader $2178 "can dehead most steel drums in under a minute"
Shark with laser on head $priceless

A brand new hobby is born.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2020 17:36, Graeme wrote:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery).Â* How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator?Â* I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas?Â* Thanks.

Hand nibbler.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/drap...-hand-nibbler/

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Oct 2020 00:23:35 +0100, T i m wrote:

There are formulae for the right speed for cutting all sorts of
materials, with and without lube and so to answer that we may need to
know the thickness of the steel and the pitch of the blade (which I
think ideally needs to be 'matched' (or within certain criteria)).

Ideally I think you need at least three teeth to be within the
thickness of the material being cut at all times. This prevents the
material dropping deeper between the teeth as it moves along the
blade, thus giving each tooth more to cut than it should have.
Remember you can increase the "thickness" by cutting at a shallow
angle.

Rate of cutting and speed of blade is "common sense" coupled with
"let the tool do the work". Broadly the soft/ductile materials
(acrylic, aluminium, lead) cut best at low speeds. Harder ones faster
but brittleness come into it as well...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2020 10:13, nightjar wrote:
On 01/10/2020 17:36, Graeme wrote:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup
used in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery).Â* How best to
remove the top, to make an incinerator?Â* I have neither angle grinder
nor air chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas?Â* Thanks.

Hand nibbler.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/drap...-hand-nibbler/

Yes. But you won't be able to grip anything for a few days afterwards.

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Oct 2020 10:25:19 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Oct 2020 00:23:35 +0100, T i m wrote:

There are formulae for the right speed for cutting all sorts of
materials, with and without lube and so to answer that we may need to
know the thickness of the steel and the pitch of the blade (which I
think ideally needs to be 'matched' (or within certain criteria)).

Ideally I think you need at least three teeth to be within the
thickness of the material being cut at all times. This prevents the
material dropping deeper between the teeth as it moves along the
blade, thus giving each tooth more to cut than it should have.
Remember you can increase the "thickness" by cutting at a shallow
angle.

Yeah and where a saber saw might be 'easier' than a jigsaw in this
instance. Probably cheaper to buy an angle grinder though. ;-)

Rate of cutting and speed of blade is "common sense" coupled with
"let the tool do the work".

True, but outside of a bit of trial and error, that isn't something
that is (or can be) always obvious to everyone.

I was helping a mate rebuild the engine from his VW Campervan remotely
(he would phone me for 'next step' advice and progress update /
observations etc). Unfortunately, whilst he was following the HBOL for
the actual steps, he wasn't that familiar with torque wrench settings,
set it on the wrong scale and because he had no experience of what
sort of torque might be appropriate for a long cylinder stud in an
ally crankcase, ripped the thread out. ;-(

Broadly the soft/ductile materials
(acrylic, aluminium, lead) cut best at low speeds. Harder ones faster
but brittleness come into it as well...

Yes, lead is especially strange to saw. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:
Graeme wrote:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup
used in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery). How best to
remove the top, to make an incinerator? I have neither angle grinder
nor air chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas? Thanks.

There's actually a tool for that. The advert doesn't say what
kind of musculature is necessary to work the tool. Imagine
a can opener on steroids.

https://www.thecarycompany.com/conta...ries/deheaders

Drum deheader $ 64
Heavy duty drum deheader $ 84
Non-sparking drum deheader $ 392
Electric drum deheader $2178 "can dehead most steel drums
in under a minute"
Shark with laser on head $priceless

A brand new hobby is born.

Paul

And this is really taking the fun out of it.

https://qvp6t2u8n33fotj61bcbf05t-wpe...ncinerator.jpg

$561 (and "some assembly required" still!)
21.32 Kilograms

There's some shelving on the inside of that, where
the fuel can rest without touching bottom, and
then it can burn up a bit better.

Try and match that with your electric drill.

To make the item shippable, the round part of the
barrel consists of a series of panels that bolt
together. That's why the article has a high
"annoyance value", as you have to drive a ton of
self-tapping screws into the metal.

https://qvp6t2u8n33fotj61bcbf05t-wpe...-burn-cage.jpg

One product reviewer went out and bought a separate
box of screws, just to get a better screw action for the
assembly step (better tapping action).

That's how Bill Gates burns his trash.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 October 2020 17:44:02 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery). How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator? I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas? Thanks.

Hammer and cold chisel.
A half hours work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends very much on the material and method of construction. Is it really
worth the effort?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Graeme" wrote in message

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used in
the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery). How best to remove the top,
to make an incinerator? I have neither angle grinder nor air chisel,
which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas? Thanks.

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2020 12:09, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 02/10/2020 10:13, nightjar wrote:
On 01/10/2020 17:36, Graeme wrote:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup
used in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery).Â* How best to
remove the top, to make an incinerator?Â* I have neither angle grinder
nor air chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas?Â* Thanks.

Hand nibbler.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/drap...-hand-nibbler/

Yes.Â* But you won't be able to grip anything for a few days afterwards.

Yes, I scrapped my first car using something very similar, a monodex
version, to render the panels down to a size I could dispose of. A 1958
A35 less than 50 k miles and major stuff worn out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2020 17:36, Graeme wrote:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery).Â* How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator?Â* I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas?Â* Thanks.

Buy a angle grinder.
Only a few quid at Aldi.
Who knows, you might find another use for it in the future.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2020 17:47, Jimk wrote:
Graeme Wrote in message:

[...]

Although a hot dipped gal one is probably thicker to start with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/10/20 5:04 am, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 01/10/2020 17:36, Graeme wrote:easiest)

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery).Â* How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator?Â* I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas?Â* Thanks.

Buy a angle grinder.
Only a few quid at Aldi.
Who knows, you might find another use for it in the future.

Or get a drum with a lid (easiest)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2020 12:02, F Murtz wrote:
On 3/10/20 5:04 am, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 01/10/2020 17:36, Graeme wrote:easiest)

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery).Â* How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator?Â* I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas?Â* Thanks.

Buy a angle grinder.
Only a few quid at Aldi.
Who knows, you might find another use for it in the future.

Or get a drum with a lid (easiest)

But you will also want to make some vertical slots in the side, and then
hammer them into a louvre configuration to let air in and help things to
burn well. One of the common designs puts in a grate at the bottom, and
also has large holes in the side below that. Angle grinder really is the
easiest tool for doing that.

If you really don't want to invest in a cheap angle grinder because you
are never likely to do it again, I'd be looking for
friends/children/neighbours to lend you one or give you a hand.

The other use for an angle grinder is with a coarse sanding disk as a
"shaper". Not for delicate stuff, but for "rounding off" timber or
relieving a sticky door or window they are very useful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2020 17:36, Graeme wrote:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery).Â* How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator?Â* I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas?Â* Thanks.

A jig saw with metal blade works well.

Cut about an inch below the lip and bell the bit left on the lid out a
bit. You then have a lid to stop rain getting in which will greatly
increase its life.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Muddymike writes

A jig saw with metal blade works well.

Cut about an inch below the lip and bell the bit left on the lid out a
bit. You then have a lid to stop rain getting in which will greatly
increase its life.

Had to read that a couple of times, but yes, that does make a great deal
of sense. The only thing that worries me slightly is that the top edge
of the drum will then be like a giant corned beef tin, so much care
required.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jimk
writes

Err.... which DIY method of cutting a metal drum in two were you
imagining would leave a nice "safe" edge?? & how?

I imagined cutting into the lid against the existing rim, such that the
lid would come out leaving the rim in place.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme Wrote in message:
In message , Jimk
writes

Err.... which DIY method of cutting a metal drum in two were you
imagining would leave a nice "safe" edge?? & how?

I imagined cutting into the lid against the existing rim, such that the
lid would come out leaving the rim in place.

With some scrap timber to level it up for your jigsaw cut?
Still be a nasty edge to navigate/deal with...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jimk
writes
Graeme Wrote in message:

I imagined cutting into the lid against the existing rim, such that the
lid would come out leaving the rim in place.

With some scrap timber to level it up for your jigsaw cut?
Still be a nasty edge to navigate/deal with...

Indeed. Perhaps make the cut 1/4 inch or so in from the rim, then go
around the edge with tinsnips, cutting from the edge to the rim, then
bashing the 'petals' downwards with a heavy hammer. All a bit long and
drawn out, but better than lacerated fingers.

Thanks for all the comments, which have made me think beyond the
obvious.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme Wrote in message:
In message , Jimk
writes
Graeme Wrote in message:

I imagined cutting into the lid against the existing rim, such that the
lid would come out leaving the rim in place.

With some scrap timber to level it up for your jigsaw cut?
Still be a nasty edge to navigate/deal with...

Indeed. Perhaps make the cut 1/4 inch or so in from the rim, then go
around the edge with tinsnips, cutting from the edge to the rim, then
bashing the 'petals' downwards with a heavy hammer. All a bit long and
drawn out, but better than lacerated fingers.

I'd stick with the jigsaw.

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jimk
writes
Graeme Wrote in message:

Indeed. Perhaps make the cut 1/4 inch or so in from the rim, then go
around the edge with tinsnips, cutting from the edge to the rim, then
bashing the 'petals' downwards with a heavy hammer. All a bit long and
drawn out, but better than lacerated fingers.

I'd stick with the jigsaw.

Yes, I meant use the jigsaw to cut the lid, 1/4 inch in from the lid
first. Then cut petals from the saw cut to the rim, then bash the
petals downwards. Very wet here today, otherwise I'd be out there
having a go.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2020 12:49, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jimk
writes
Graeme Wrote in message:

I imagined cutting into the lid against the existing rim, such that the
lid would come out leaving the rim in place.

With some scrap timber to level it up for your jigsaw cut?
Still be a nasty edge to navigate/deal with...

Indeed.Â* Perhaps make the cut 1/4 inch or so in from the rim, then go
around the edge with tinsnips, cutting from the edge to the rim, then
bashing the 'petals' downwards with a heavy hammer.Â* All a bit long and
drawn out, but better than lacerated fingers.

Thanks for all the comments, which have made me think beyond the obvious.

I think you (and others) may be over-thinking it. A jigsaw cut doesn't
leave particularly sharp edges, you are more likely to get that with
tinsnips. Either run around it with a coarse file, or with coarse
sandpaper or emery paper on a block, but quickest of all is just to
round the edge using a light touch with an angle grinder, either with an
abrasive disk or with a sanding disk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2020 14:29, Jimk wrote:
Graeme Wrote in message:
In message , Jimk
writes
Graeme Wrote in message:

Indeed. Perhaps make the cut 1/4 inch or so in from the rim, then go
around the edge with tinsnips, cutting from the edge to the rim, then
bashing the 'petals' downwards with a heavy hammer. All a bit long and
drawn out, but better than lacerated fingers.

I'd stick with the jigsaw.

Yes, I meant use the jigsaw to cut the lid, 1/4 inch in from the lid
first. Then cut petals from the saw cut to the rim, then bash the
petals downwards. Very wet here today, otherwise I'd be out there
having a go.

Yes I meant I'd stick with jigsaw rather than tinsnips to cut your
petals...

Petals are OK, you may have catchy bits around the joins. If hammering,
hold a big lump of wood (e.g. a woodburner log) on the outside like a
panel beaters' dolly. Or rest the edge on a wood chopping block if you
have one, and rotate so that you are always using the block as an anvil.

Or, bend them over with a mole wrench and finally "pinch" the top edge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2020 15:38, Jimk wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:

Either run around it with a coarse file, or with coarse
sandpaper or emery paper on a block, but quickest of all is just to
round the edge using a light touch with an angle grinder, either with an
abrasive disk or with a sanding disk.

Which he doesn't have...

Which is why I gave alternatives. But based on the advice here he might
decide to get one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2020 17:47, Jimk wrote:
Graeme Wrote in message:

[...]

The ones on sale these days all seem to be made of rather thin metal
and galvanising seems to be very poor these days too.