Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Taking the top off a 55 gallon drum

In message ,
newshound writes

Angle grinders

Which is why I gave alternatives. But based on the advice here he might
decide to get one.

He may indeed. Thoughts are turning in that general direction, although
without a clue as to how to actually use the thing, or the types of
blade to purchase, plans are on hold.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme Wrote in message:
In message , Jimk
writes
Graeme Wrote in message:

Indeed. Perhaps make the cut 1/4 inch or so in from the rim, then go
around the edge with tinsnips, cutting from the edge to the rim, then
bashing the 'petals' downwards with a heavy hammer. All a bit long and
drawn out, but better than lacerated fingers.

I'd stick with the jigsaw.

Yes, I meant use the jigsaw to cut the lid, 1/4 inch in from the lid
first. Then cut petals from the saw cut to the rim, then bash the
petals downwards. Very wet here today, otherwise I'd be out there
having a go.

Yes I meant I'd stick with jigsaw rather than tinsnips to cut your
petals...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound Wrote in message:
On 05/10/2020 12:49, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jimk
writes
Graeme Wrote in message:

I imagined cutting into the lid against the existing rim, such that the
lid would come out leaving the rim in place.

With some scrap timber to level it up for your jigsaw cut?
Still be a nasty edge to navigate/deal with...

Indeed. Perhaps make the cut 1/4 inch or so in from the rim, then go
around the edge with tinsnips, cutting from the edge to the rim, then
bashing the 'petals' downwards with a heavy hammer. All a bit long and
drawn out, but better than lacerated fingers.

Thanks for all the comments, which have made me think beyond the obvious.

I think you (and others) may be over-thinking it. A jigsaw cut doesn't
leave particularly sharp edges, you are more likely to get that with
tinsnips.

Depends how thick the metal is...

Either run around it with a coarse file, or with coarse
sandpaper or emery paper on a block, but quickest of all is just to
round the edge using a light touch with an angle grinder, either with an
abrasive disk or with a sanding disk.

Which he doesn't have...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound Wrote in message:
On 05/10/2020 15:38, Jimk wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:

Either run around it with a coarse file, or with coarse
sandpaper or emery paper on a block, but quickest of all is just to
round the edge using a light touch with an angle grinder, either with an
abrasive disk or with a sanding disk.

Which he doesn't have...

Which is why I gave alternatives. But based on the advice here he might
decide to get one.

I thought the petals plan was fair enough & he can spend his
£30odd plus £discs on something else.
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme Wrote in message:
In message ,
newshound writes

Angle grinders

Which is why I gave alternatives. But based on the advice here he might
decide to get one.

He may indeed. Thoughts are turning in that general direction, although
without a clue as to how to actually use the thing, or the types of
blade to purchase, plans are on hold.

I don't think it would be doable to make a neat job of cutting the
head off the barrel with an ag without leaving an exposed raw
edge.

Leaving the rim intact, as in your jigsaw approach, would leave
more rigidity in the barrel as well as dealing with cut
edges.

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2020 11:00, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jimk
writes

Err.... which DIY method of cutting a metal drum in two were you
imagining would leave a nice "safe" edge?? & how?

I imagined cutting into the lid against the existing rim, such that the
lid would come out leaving the rim in place.

Then your left with a flat steel disk that cant be used as a lid.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2020 13:27, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jimk
writes
Graeme Wrote in message:

Indeed.Â* Perhaps make the cut 1/4 inch or so in from the rim, then go
around the edge with tinsnips, cutting from the edge to the rim, then
bashing the 'petals' downwards with a heavy hammer.Â* All a bit long and
drawn out, but better than lacerated fingers.

I'd stick with the jigsaw.

Yes, I meant use the jigsaw to cut the lid, 1/4 inch in from the lid
first.Â* Then cut petals from the saw cut to the rim, then bash the
petals downwards.Â* Very wet here today, otherwise I'd be out there
having a go.

I don't think a jigsaw will allow you to cut that close to the rim, mine
certainly doesn't. Cutting as close to the rim down the side is the best
method.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Muddymike writes
On 05/10/2020 11:00, Graeme wrote:

I imagined cutting into the lid against the existing rim, such that
the lid would come out leaving the rim in place.

Then your left with a flat steel disk that cant be used as a lid.

You're right of course, but the plan is to chuck it in the greenhouse,
at least over winter, which will at least keep it dry. The good news is
that the drum came from a local confectionery business, and they have a
regular supply of drums, and are always happy to give away the empties.
I could grab a second drum to replace the first, or to just cut the top
off to use as a lid, as you suggested.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 13:27:28 +0100, Graeme wrote:

Yes, I meant use the jigsaw to cut the lid, 1/4 inch in from the lid
first. Then cut petals from the saw cut to the rim, then bash the
petals downwards. Very wet here today, otherwise I'd be out there
having a go.

Er... your jigsaw will put the same half-dozen to dozen teeth of the blade
against the metal, depending on the stroke of the saw. These will dull
eventually.

You could then fit a new blade (assuming a surfeit of metal blades).

However: attaching a scrap of wood or Something(tm) against the sole plate of
the jigsaw (using screws, bolts, duct tape, cable ties, ... don't freehand it,
that doesn't work!) will bring a fresh batch of teeth into play, as it lifts the
sole plate away from the metal. You are then using a fresh section of the worn
blade, a bit further out.

The blade is a bit more likely to break used like this -- but the alternative is
to throw it out... nothing to lose!

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike Wrote in message:
On 05/10/2020 11:00, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jimk
writes

Err.... which DIY method of cutting a metal drum in two were you
imagining would leave a nice "safe" edge?? & how?

I imagined cutting into the lid against the existing rim, such that the
lid would come out leaving the rim in place.

Then your left with a flat steel disk that cant be used as a lid.

Mike

If you'll be punching holes in the bottom who needs a lid?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jimk
writes

If you'll be punching holes in the bottom who needs a lid?

Mike's idea up there ^ was to cut off the top an inch or two below the
rim, then 'bell out' the inch or two of drum still attached to the lid,
so the lid could sit on top of the drum as weather (rain) protection
when not in use. Brilliant, I thought.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme Wrote in message:
In message , Jimk
writes

If you'll be punching holes in the bottom who needs a lid?

Mike's idea up there ^ was to cut off the top an inch or two below the
rim, then 'bell out' the inch or two of drum still attached to the lid,
so the lid could sit on top of the drum as weather (rain) protection
when not in use. Brilliant, I thought.

Yes I know. But if it's base is full of holes it's presumably
superfluous?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2020 17:16, Jimk wrote:
Graeme Wrote in message:
In message , Jimk
writes

If you'll be punching holes in the bottom who needs a lid?

Mike's idea up there ^ was to cut off the top an inch or two below the
rim, then 'bell out' the inch or two of drum still attached to the lid,
so the lid could sit on top of the drum as weather (rain) protection
when not in use. Brilliant, I thought.

Yes I know. But if it's base is full of holes it's presumably
superfluous?

I have a big garden and use two of these. They are rarely emptied of ash
immediately after a fire. Overnight rain then makes the ash very
difficult to clean out, wet ash promotes the inevitable rust.

A lid is also useful to put the fire out if wind turns and takes the
smoke in an unwanted direction.

I also use mine together with a modified gas cylinder to make charcoal.

Mike