Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default Taking the top off a 55 gallon drum

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 13:27:28 +0100, Graeme wrote:

Yes, I meant use the jigsaw to cut the lid, 1/4 inch in from the lid
first. Then cut petals from the saw cut to the rim, then bash the
petals downwards. Very wet here today, otherwise I'd be out there
having a go.

Er... your jigsaw will put the same half-dozen to dozen teeth of the blade
against the metal, depending on the stroke of the saw. These will dull
eventually.

You could then fit a new blade (assuming a surfeit of metal blades).

However: attaching a scrap of wood or Something(tm) against the sole plate of
the jigsaw (using screws, bolts, duct tape, cable ties, ... don't freehand it,
that doesn't work!) will bring a fresh batch of teeth into play, as it lifts the
sole plate away from the metal. You are then using a fresh section of the worn
blade, a bit further out.

The blade is a bit more likely to break used like this -- but the alternative is
to throw it out... nothing to lose!

Thomas Prufer