Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default When Is A Gallon Not A Gallon?

Looked closely at your favorite store's paint aisle recently? The paint industry
seems to be following the tuna and potato chip companies in reducing the content
while keeping the packaging the same.

Despite the fact that the shelf tags all said "Gallon". I was surprised to see
that it was almost impossible to find a full gallon of paint. In most cases, the
more expensive (by package) paints had the smallest amounts. As little as 113
liquid ounces instead of 128.

Interesting enough, there were a few inexpensive brands that contained a full
128 ounces.

Even the "5 Gallon" buckets were short - in some cases by a quart or more. When
you are selling thousands of gallons a day, that adds up.

Wonder if this is a retail phenomena or if they're trying this on the pro
painters as well?

I'm sure they'll try to argue that the coverage is so good that you don't need a
full gallon. Ha!
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Rick Blaine wrote:
[...]

It's to leave room for the tints, so you can change the color.

-jav
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Javier wrote:

It's to leave room for the tints, so you can change the color.

Sorry - I've heard that argument but it doesn't wash. I'd believe it if just the
tint bases were shorted, but this includes all the premix colors In any case,
there's no way they are putting 15 ounces of tint color in a gallon of paint..
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Rick Blaine wrote:
Javier wrote:

It's to leave room for the tints, so you can change the color.

Sorry - I've heard that argument but it doesn't wash. I'd believe it if just the
tint bases were shorted, but this includes all the premix colors In any case,
there's no way they are putting 15 ounces of tint color in a gallon of paint..

Oh, OK. Write a letter to your congressman, alert the local news
organizations, write your state's commerce department, and send a letter
to the editor of your town's newspaper.

-jav
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Javier wrote:

Oh, OK. Write a letter to your congressman, alert the local news
organizations, write your state's commerce department, and send a letter
to the editor of your town's newspaper.

I did better - I posted to Usenet...

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Javier wrote:

It's to leave room for the tints, so you can change the color.

Had to go back this afternoon and took a closer look. After checking out all the
various cans, I agree the difference is to accomodate tint the tints. What threw
me was that some of the whites were short a gallon as well, but as they could be
used for tinting, that kind of makes sense too. Can't believe they would use up
to 15 ounces of tint, but there you go.

Mea Culpa.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Rick Blaine wrote:
Javier wrote:

It's to leave room for the tints, so you can change the color.

Had to go back this afternoon and took a closer look. After checking out all the
various cans, I agree the difference is to accomodate tint the tints. What threw
me was that some of the whites were short a gallon as well, but as they could be
used for tinting, that kind of makes sense too. Can't believe they would use up
to 15 ounces of tint, but there you go.

Mea Culpa.

Nope, I don't buy it. There is no way they use 15 oz of tint.

Harry K

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
Javier wrote:

Rick Blaine wrote:
Javier wrote:

It's to leave room for the tints, so you can change the color.

Sorry - I've heard that argument but it doesn't wash. I'd believe it if
just the
tint bases were shorted, but this includes all the premix colors In any
case,
there's no way they are putting 15 ounces of tint color in a gallon of
paint..

Oh, OK. Write a letter to your congressman, alert the local news
organizations, write your state's commerce department, and send a letter
to the editor of your town's newspaper.

-jav

Become a paint Jihadist, no wait Bush may come after you.
--
Chainyanker

Posted to misc.consumers.house

John‰]

wrote:
In article , Rick Blaine
wrote:

[...]

Ever seen Andy Rooneys rant about a "pound" of coffee?

Then there is the incredible shrinking candy bar.

...somehow, life goes on....

And ice cream is no longer a half gallon normally...have you noticed it
is 1.75 quarts.