Posted to uk.d-i-y
MuddyMike MuddyMike is offline

Default Taking the top off a 55 gallon drum

On 05/10/2020 13:27, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jimk
writes
Graeme Wrote in message:

Indeed.Â* Perhaps make the cut 1/4 inch or so in from the rim, then go
around the edge with tinsnips, cutting from the edge to the rim, then
bashing the 'petals' downwards with a heavy hammer.Â* All a bit long and
drawn out, but better than lacerated fingers.

I'd stick with the jigsaw.

Yes, I meant use the jigsaw to cut the lid, 1/4 inch in from the lid
first.Â* Then cut petals from the saw cut to the rim, then bash the
petals downwards.Â* Very wet here today, otherwise I'd be out there
having a go.

I don't think a jigsaw will allow you to cut that close to the rim, mine
certainly doesn't. Cutting as close to the rim down the side is the best
method.

Mike