Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Taking the top off a 55 gallon drum

On 04/10/2020 12:02, F Murtz wrote:
On 3/10/20 5:04 am, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 01/10/2020 17:36, Graeme wrote:easiest)

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery).Â* How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator?Â* I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas?Â* Thanks.

Buy a angle grinder.
Only a few quid at Aldi.
Who knows, you might find another use for it in the future.

Or get a drum with a lid (easiest)

But you will also want to make some vertical slots in the side, and then
hammer them into a louvre configuration to let air in and help things to
burn well. One of the common designs puts in a grate at the bottom, and
also has large holes in the side below that. Angle grinder really is the
easiest tool for doing that.

If you really don't want to invest in a cheap angle grinder because you
are never likely to do it again, I'd be looking for
friends/children/neighbours to lend you one or give you a hand.

The other use for an angle grinder is with a coarse sanding disk as a
"shaper". Not for delicate stuff, but for "rounding off" timber or
relieving a sticky door or window they are very useful.