Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Taking the top off a 55 gallon drum

On 04/10/2020 11:57, F Murtz wrote:
On 2/10/20 4:57 am, Andrew wrote:
On 01/10/2020 17:51, newshound wrote:
On 01/10/2020 17:47, Jimk wrote:
Graeme Wrote in message:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup
used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery).Â* How best to remove
the
top, to make an incinerator?Â* I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas?Â* Thanks.

Borrow something ?
Hire something?

Do you have a jigsaw? A proper hacksaw blade in a jigsaw will make
relatively short work of that. Or a sabre saw with a metal cutting
blade, although those are more of a beast to handle.

When I made one a few years ago I found it worthwhile to make a stand
out of angle iron, to keep it a foot or so above the ground to
prevent destroying a lawn.

The other thing, don't expect a very long life out of them. I am
currently tempted to buy a ready-made galvanised one, rather than
making a replacement.

No point paying extra for a galvanized one because the heat of the
incinerator will soon burn it off.

Although a hot dipped gal one is probably thicker to start with.

The ones on sale these days all seem to be made of rather thin metal
and galvanising seems to be very poor these days too.