Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Taking the top off a 55 gallon drum

On 01/10/2020 19:54, GB wrote:
On 01/10/2020 19:45, Fredxx wrote:
On 01/10/2020 17:36:19, Graeme wrote:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup
used in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery).Â* How best to
remove the top, to make an incinerator?Â* I have neither angle grinder
nor air chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas?Â* Thanks.

The others plus:
Oxy-propane
Plasma cutter

I suspect the drum is made of thinnish steel so as others have said a
jigsaw is perhaps the easiest way where tools at hand are limited.

Plus ear defenders!

You could do it with a hacksaw, if you didn't want to disturb the
neighbours.

I don't think this would be a problem at jigsaw speeds. You could always
fill it with water first.

I *think* I did my last one with an angle grinder, but now I might use
the big Evo circular saw with its "wood or metal" blade.