Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Taking the top off a 55 gallon drum

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 01/10/2020 17:51, newshound wrote:
On 01/10/2020 17:47, Jimk wrote:
Graeme Wrote in message:

I've been given a 55 gallon drum that contained some sort of syrup used
in the manufacture of sweeties (confectionery). How best to remove the
top, to make an incinerator? I have neither angle grinder nor air
chisel, which seem to be popular choices.

Ideas? Thanks.

Borrow something ?
Hire something?

Do you have a jigsaw? A proper hacksaw blade in a jigsaw will make relatively short
work of that. Or a sabre saw with a metal cutting blade, although those are more of a
beast to handle.

When I made one a few years ago I found it worthwhile to make a stand out of angle
iron, to keep it a foot or so above the ground to prevent destroying a lawn.

The other thing, don't expect a very long life out of them. I am currently tempted to
buy a ready-made galvanised one, rather than making a replacement.

No point paying extra for a galvanized one because the heat of the
incinerator will soon burn it off.

As might be expected steel drums come in a variety of gauges and
thicknesses apparently ranging from 0.8mm to 1.5mm depending on
their intended use.

The ease with which its possible to saw through the top of one, may not be
entirely unconnected to its general longevity. But that's' only a guess of course,

michael adams