Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV Recommendations

Hi Guys

I am looking at TVs for the bedroom and would be interested in the
group's thoughts.

Probably go for 24", but apart from that don't really know what's
essential.
I would think smart TV running Free view will do it.
But picture quality and such are a bit of an unknown.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Phil

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2020 20:20, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys

I am looking at TVs for the bedroom and would be interested in the
group's thoughts.

Probably go for 24", but apart from that don't really know what's
essential.
I would think smart TV running Free view will do it.
But picture quality and such are a bit of an unknown.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Phil

My latest two are Samsungs and I have no complaints. In fact most of
their consumer stuff seems pretty good (although I think they tweak
Android too much).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 20:20:00 +0100 (GMT+01:00), thescullster wrote:

I am looking at TVs for the bedroom ...

More than one? I can think of better things to do in the bedroom,
that don't require any TV.

I would think smart TV ...

Trouble with "smart" TV's is that they don't remain "smart". The
makers might release firmware updates for a few years then drop
support. As the services behind the "smart" features continue to
develop your "smart" TV left behind and either those features won't
work at all or be very restricted.

... running Free view will do it.

But picture quality and such are a bit of an unknown.

If your watching Freeview almost any set is more than capable of
producing pictures of far better quality. Personally I can't watch
Freeview as the horrendous artifacts are just too distracting and
annoying.

That a side I'd make sure the set was Full HD both display and tuner.
Alternatively a suitable high resolution 24" computer monitor and a
Raspberry Pi with Kodi and stream stuff to it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 5 September 2020 20:20:05 UTC+1, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys

I am looking at TVs for the bedroom and would be interested in the
group's thoughts.

Probably go for 24", but apart from that don't really know what's
essential.
I would think smart TV running Free view will do it.
But picture quality and such are a bit of an unknown.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Phil

A 5" screen isn't really big enough for 2 viewers comfortably.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2020 20:20, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys

I am looking at TVs for the bedroom and would be interested in the
group's thoughts.

Probably go for 24", but apart from that don't really know what's
essential.

Choice of sets at 24" is a bit restrictive - however that's a popular
size of monitor, so you could use one of those, and an external box for
the smarts. (where box could be a small as a chomecast etc)

You will likely need to look at 32" for a decent choice from most makers.

LG and Samsung are decent for the money IME. Of the budget ones HiSense
just about do it.

Accept that the smarts may date with time, and you may need to add
external bits to keep everything as you want it with time.

I would think smart TV running Free view will do it.

Freeview HD is ok picture wise, SD is ok on a few channels and pants on
the rest. But it depends a bit on what you are looking for.

But picture quality and such are a bit of an unknown.

Well you could audition a few.. if you want a really nice picture then
look at the OLED screens - particularly impressive in dark environments
and when watching content with High Dynamic Range / Dolby Vision.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2020 20:20, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys

I am looking at TVs for the bedroom and would be interested in the
group's thoughts.

Probably go for 24", but apart from that don't really know what's
essential.
I would think smart TV running Free view will do it.
But picture quality and such are a bit of an unknown.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Phil

They are all pretty good. This is one tome a trip to PC world pays off.
Look at the viewing angle, and teh colour, listen to the sound, see if
the picture follows live action without jerkiness.
Check it has wifi if that's your mode, or Ethernet if THAT is.
Remember most of these are made from the same chipsets. They may have
more CPU or RAM or better video and sound though, and the LCD display is
a big part of the cost so cheapos my have poor viewing angle and
unnatural colours

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2020 21:11, newshound wrote:
On 05/09/2020 20:20, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys

I am looking at TVs for the bedroom and would be interested in the
Â* group's thoughts.

Probably go for 24", but apart from that don't really know what's
Â* essential.
I would think smart TV running Free view will do it.
But picture quality and such are a bit of an unknown.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Phil

My latest two are Samsungs and I have no complaints. In fact most of
their consumer stuff seems pretty good (although I think they tweak
Android too much).

I like the UI to samsung, but I have a nice panasonic as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, since the life of a tv is supposed to be five years, I'd imagine the
firmware updates for an open source OS are more likely to continue than some
dodgy in house mish mash.
LG are quite good value, but as has been said, most of the tvs these days,I
am sur have good pictures, but as always, its the sound that is the poor
relation, so why not by a nice sound bar or surround system and take a cheap
telly? If you don't need tha talking menues and increasing use of voice
assistants, then I'd have though that might be quite nice in a bedroom.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2020 21:11, newshound wrote:

My latest two are Samsungs and I have no complaints. In fact most of
their consumer stuff seems pretty good (although I think they tweak
Android too much).

I like the UI to samsung, but I have a nice panasonic as well.

Though beware - most of the modern low end Panasonics and by now
possibly all of them are rebadged Hungarian rubbish. They do not answer
to a genuine Panasonic remote control but to some random noname brand.

The very cheapest sets have LCD displays that have to be viewed exactly
square on for the colour balance to be correct.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2020 20:20, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys

I am looking at TVs for the bedroom and would be interested in the
group's thoughts.

Your thoughts?

For a good night's sleep have no distractions in your bedroom at all.
Bedrooms are for sleeping (and for some sex) not telly watching.

Do not have a telly in your bedroom

https://sleepsherpa.com/should-you-h...n-the-bedroom/

https://www.becomingminimalist.com/1...f-the-bedroom/

https://www.meetmindful.com/tv-does-...n-the-bedroom/

OK rather US centric (what isn't on the 'net these days?) but ignore or
adapt survey findings, the idea is still there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Sep 2020 at 10:10:58 BST, "soup" wrote:

On 05/09/2020 20:20, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys

I am looking at TVs for the bedroom and would be interested in the
group's thoughts.

Your thoughts?

For a good night's sleep have no distractions in your bedroom at all.
Bedrooms are for sleeping (and for some sex) not telly watching.

Do not have a telly in your bedroom

https://sleepsherpa.com/should-you-h...n-the-bedroom/

https://www.becomingminimalist.com/1...f-the-bedroom/

https://www.meetmindful.com/tv-does-...n-the-bedroom/

OK rather US centric (what isn't on the 'net these days?) but ignore or
adapt survey findings, the idea is still there.

Not a factor for some of us. I can sleep within three minutes of deciding to,
wherever I am (ok, it is harder if standing up if nothing to lean on). So I
really don't worry.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2020 20:20, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys

I am looking at TVs for the bedroom and would be interested in the
group's thoughts.

Probably go for 24", but apart from that don't really know what's
essential.
I would think smart TV running Free view will do it.
But picture quality and such are a bit of an unknown.

Your thoughts?

I just bought a Samsung 43" Smart TV. The only real complaint is the
advertising for paid services (Netflix, Apple, Amazon etc) is intrusive
and cannot be removed or shifted to a less prominent position. The
interface seems illogical and confusing, but I'm getting the hang of it
eventually.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2020 08:59, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Well, since the life of a tv is supposed to be five years, I'd imagine the
firmware updates for an open source OS are more likely to continue than some
dodgy in house mish mash.
LG are quite good value, but as has been said, most of the tvs these days,I
am sur have good pictures, but as always, its the sound that is the poor
relation, so why not by a nice sound bar or surround system and take a cheap
telly? If you don't need tha talking menues and increasing use of voice
assistants, then I'd have though that might be quite nice in a bedroom.

Decent sound and the drive to ever thinner flat screens is always going
to make uncomfortable bed fellows. So yup, taking care of the audio
"outside the box" is usually going to yield much better results.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2020 12:17, Another Dave wrote:
On 05/09/2020 20:20, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys

I am looking at TVs for the bedroom and would be interested in the
Â* group's thoughts.

Probably go for 24", but apart from that don't really know what's
Â* essential.
I would think smart TV running Free view will do it.
But picture quality and such are a bit of an unknown.

Your thoughts?

I just bought a Samsung 43" Smart TV. The only real complaint is the
advertising for paid services (Netflix, Apple, Amazon etc) is intrusive
and cannot be removed or shifted to a less prominent position.

What do you mean by "the advertising for paid services"? Or ar you just
referring to the fact hat it has the playback apps pre-loaded?

(Not had a samsung to try - but on all other smart TVs I have tried so
far (which to be fair is not a huge number) they have all had ways of
reorganising the menus and shortcuts to remove or hide apps you are not
using)

Have you tried this?:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/t...n-my-smart-tv/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2020 12:52, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/09/2020 12:17, Another Dave wrote:

I just bought a Samsung 43" Smart TV. The only real complaint is the
advertising for paid services (Netflix, Apple, Amazon etc) is
intrusive and cannot be removed or shifted to a less prominent position.

What do you mean by "the advertising for paid services"? Or ar you just
referring to the fact hat it has the playback apps pre-loaded?

Mostly yes but the installation procedure has an advert (difficult to
bypass) for a free one month trial of Amazon Prime.

(Not had a samsung to try - but on all other smart TVs I have tried so
far (which to be fair is not a huge number) they have all had ways of
reorganising the menus and shortcuts to remove or hide apps you are not
using)

Have you tried this?:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/t...n-my-smart-tv/

Yes. Note that that page states explicitly that some (read nearly all)
preloaded apps cannot be removed. If there is a way of moving those
particular ones about I haven't found it, though I can move others about
and of course remove them.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Which is what I do. The only question is, where to get an audio tap off
the telly to provide best quality?

Many seem to only to have Toslink out - odd given many still have
headphone sockets. But a decent sounding converter isn't too costly.

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

where to get an audio tap off the telly to provide best quality?

HDMI ARC or S/PDIF
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Which is what I do. The only question is, where to get an audio tap off
the telly to provide best quality?

Many seem to only to have Toslink out - odd given many still have
headphone sockets. But a decent sounding converter isn't too costly.

there's also HDMI out.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2020 17:23, Tim Streater wrote:
On 06 Sep 2020 at 12:42:36 BST, John Rumm
wrote:

[...]

Two options normally, most will support ARC on one of the HDMI channels,
so with a suitable AV amp, it can take a 5.1 feed from "whatever the TV
is showing". Alternatively most have an optical out, and a cheap
amazon/fleabay D to A converter will give you stereo analogue.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2020 14:50, Another Dave wrote:
[...]

On mine (LG) you can shift the shortcut menu bar about to contain what
you want in whatever order.

(probably not much value to being able to actually remove them
completely, since you are unlikely to run out of app storage space)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/09/2020 10:10, soup wrote:

Bedrooms are for sleeping (and for some sex) not telly watching.

+1

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thescullster Wrote in message:
Hi GuysI am looking at TVs for the bedroom and would be interested in the group's thoughts.Probably go for 24", but apart from that don't really know what's essential.I would think smart TV running Free view will do it.But picture quality and such are a bit of an unknown.Your thoughts?ThanksPhil-- ----Android NewsGroup Reader----http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Guys

Many thanks for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback,
it is much appreciated.

I do not get much pleasure in shopping these days, even for tech
stuff (irrespective of the covid situation). So getting guidance
to narrow the search or suggest options on a purchase is a great
help.

Hope you are all managing to stay virus free and that your
personal/work situations are at the very least tolerable.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Sep 2020 20:20:00 +0100, thescullster wrote:

Hi Guys

I am looking at TVs for the bedroom and would be interested in the
group's thoughts.

Probably go for 24", but apart from that don't really know what's
essential.
I would think smart TV running Free view will do it.
But picture quality and such are a bit of an unknown.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Phil

Noting that Which? don't review anything below 32" and aren't really keen
on 32" either because of the quality of the screens made at that size.

These days 40" or larger is probably the way to go.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2020 10:10, soup wrote:

For a good night's sleep have no distractions in your bedroom at all.
Bedrooms are for sleeping (and for some sex) not telly watching.

Do not have a telly in your bedroom

https://sleepsherpa.com/should-you-h...n-the-bedroom/

https://www.becomingminimalist.com/1...f-the-bedroom/

https://www.meetmindful.com/tv-does-...n-the-bedroom/

OK rather US centric (what isn't on the 'net these days?) but ignore or
adapt survey findings, the idea is still there.

I can fall asleep much faster in front of the TV than I can in bed.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2020 20:23, ARW wrote:
On 06/09/2020 10:10, soup wrote:

Bedrooms are for sleeping (and for some sex) not telly watching.

+1

The telly is for when neither of the above seem to be happening

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 06/09/2020 20:23, ARW wrote:
On 06/09/2020 10:10, soup wrote:

Bedrooms are for sleeping (and for some sex) not telly watching.

+1

The telly is for when neither of the above seem to be happening

Bluetooth and a decent set of headphones might allow a compromise.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2020 20:23, ARW wrote:
On 06/09/2020 10:10, soup wrote:

Bedrooms are for sleeping (and for some sex) not telly watching.

+1

The telly is for when neither of the above seem to be happening

ISTM a TV might aid sex - the more so when DIY also involved.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
I think I tried the optical out with a cheapy D2A jobby, but the audio
quality seemed poor so today I'm just using the headphone output.

Did you put both into amp inputs so you could compare?

Headphone outputs often don't produce enough volts for a line in.

I found a Toslink to phono which had an output level control. Allowing you
to set it as required.

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
I think I tried the optical out with a cheapy D2A jobby, but the audio
quality seemed poor so today I'm just using the headphone output.

Did you put both into amp inputs so you could compare?

Headphone outputs often don't produce enough volts for a line in.

I actually find it's the converse problem. I have some FM wireless
headphones (ie not Bluetooth) which are driven from my PC's line out. There
are two volume controls: the one in Windows and the one on the headphones. I
find that I have to have the Windows level turned low and the headphones
turned high, or else I get sibilance on female voices.

Likewise, when I've recorded from VHS or from the old Sky box (copying off
recordings before the Sky subscription lapsed!), the line in level needs to
be set very low. I'm sure my sound card is unusually sensitive on its inputs
and unusually loud on its outputs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Sep 2020 18:40:39 +0100, charles wrote:

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Which is what I do. The only question is, where to get an audio tap off
the telly to provide best quality?

Many seem to only to have Toslink out - odd given many still have
headphone sockets. But a decent sounding converter isn't too costly.

there's also HDMI out.

Often come with video/audio synch problems,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
I think I tried the optical out with a cheapy D2A jobby, but the audio
quality seemed poor so today I'm just using the headphone output.

Did you put both into amp inputs so you could compare?

Headphone outputs often don't produce enough volts for a line in.

I actually find it's the converse problem. I have some FM wireless
headphones (ie not Bluetooth) which are driven from my PC's line out.

Err, that's not the headphone output. ;-)

There are two volume controls: the one in Windows and the one on the
headphones. I find that I have to have the Windows level turned low and
the headphones turned high, or else I get sibilance on female voices.

Easy enough to attenuate a line output that is too high. If it is too low,
rather more complex.

Likewise, when I've recorded from VHS or from the old Sky box (copying
off recordings before the Sky subscription lapsed!), the line in level
needs to be set very low. I'm sure my sound card is unusually sensitive
on its inputs and unusually loud on its outputs.

--
*WOULD A FLY WITHOUT WINGS BE CALLED A WALK?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
On 07 Sep 2020 at 11:18:02 BST, "Dave Plowman News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
I think I tried the optical out with a cheapy D2A jobby, but the
audio quality seemed poor so today I'm just using the headphone
output.

Did you put both into amp inputs so you could compare?

Too much of a faff in terms of recabling stuff, IIRC.

Headphone outputs often don't produce enough volts for a line in.

I found a Toslink to phono which had an output level control. Allowing
you to set it as required.

We're looking at getting a new telly anyway, I'll check whether any
candidate has RCA output.

When I last looked - for a large screen one - couldn't find one which did.
Despite finding one with a SCART input as well as multiple HDMI and USB.

It seemed real penny pinching on what was an expensive set since they need
analogue to drive the internal speakers and headphone outlet, so wouldn't
have cost much extra.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.