Default Range cooker recommendations?

Baxter Basics wrote:
Hi,
I want to get a 90cm range cooker, budget up to about 2K. Currently torn
between a Falcon (expensive and long lead time) and Lofra (cheaper but
little info on this brand).

If you search back in the Google newgroup archives you'll find I've
made comments on this front a couple of times before. When we
refurbished our kitchen we started out wanting a range cooker but
after much hunting around and looking at cookers we decided that there
simply aren't any range cookers (at any price) that really offered
what we wanted:-
Gas hob
Burner/plate good for simmering
Fast grill (not a folded immersion heater type)
One large and one small oven.

We've ended up buying separate hob and oven(s) and are very happy that
we've made the right choice. Even the expensive range cookers (like
Falcon, Britannia, etc.) don't offer fast grills or slow cooking
plates or even ovens that take advantage of the size of to cooker.
We also didn't think that the expensive ones really seemed much better
quality than the cheap ones.

--
Chris Green )
Baxter Basics

Hi,

cheers for that. Ideally I would mix and match- not that fussed about the
range cooker look- its just the only sensible place for a cooker we have is
in the chiney (where the original range would have been) so I am looking for
the best compromise which fits in a 90cm hole!

cheers

Bax

wrote in message
Baxter Basics wrote:
[...]

Andy Hall

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:45:23 +0100, "Baxter Basics"
wrote:

Hi,

cheers for that. Ideally I would mix and match- not that fussed about the
range cooker look- its just the only sensible place for a cooker we have is
in the chiney (where the original range would have been) so I am looking for
the best compromise which fits in a 90cm hole!

cheers

Bax

We considered a Falcon at one point and it certainly is a well
engineered product. I looked also at some of the Italian origin
ranges like Brittania and they are OK, but not in the same league in
build quality.

In the end we went with an Aga for a whole variety of reasons but
that's another story.

Have you tried contacting a few Aga Rayburn dealers than your local
one? You may find that somebody has one available or ordered.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Chris Harris

[...]

I've got a Rayburn going spare. Not sure of the model, but 1960's vintage.
Left-hand firebox (right-hand chimney), buyer collects from Stanley Falkland
Islands ;-)

Available as soon as I get the new gas or electric (haven't decided which
yet) in. I'm following this thread with interest as I intentend to look at
various range cookers when I vist England next month. I like the idea of a
range style gas/electric hybrid cooker to replace the Rayburn.

I was brought up on Rayburns using solid fuel (peat) and think that anyone
that uses solid fuel as their prime cooking/heating source is a romantic
fool, or has too much time on their hands. The house I have just bought has
a Rayburn that has been converted to kero. It does the cooking and hot
water. There is a separate diesel boiler for CH.

CJH

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:11:53 -0400, "Chris Harris"
wrote:

I've got a Rayburn going spare. Not sure of the model, but 1960's vintage.
Left-hand firebox (right-hand chimney), buyer collects from Stanley Falkland
Islands ;-)

Available as soon as I get the new gas or electric (haven't decided which
yet) in. I'm following this thread with interest as I intentend to look at
various range cookers when I vist England next month. I like the idea of a
range style gas/electric hybrid cooker to replace the Rayburn.

I was brought up on Rayburns using solid fuel (peat) and think that anyone
that uses solid fuel as their prime cooking/heating source is a romantic
fool, or has too much time on their hands. The house I have just bought has
a Rayburn that has been converted to kero. It does the cooking and hot
water. There is a separate diesel boiler for CH.

CJH

Try contacting the British Antarctic Survey people. I know they have
an Aga, that quite rightly they view with due reverence.

I'm thinking that Fedexing your Rayburn there would cost a bit less
than to the northern hemisphere......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Owain

"Chris Harris" wrote
| I've got a Rayburn going spare.
| Available as soon as I get the new gas or electric (haven't decided which
| yet) in.

Do you just mean gas or electric cooker, or is the gas or electricity itself
a previously un-enjoyed luxury? And won't they let you have both :-)

Owain

Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Baxter Basics wrote:
Hi,

cheers for that. Ideally I would mix and match- not that fussed about the
range cooker look- its just the only sensible place for a cooker we have is
in the chiney (where the original range would have been) so I am looking for
the best compromise which fits in a 90cm hole!

Be careful about the hole size! We replaced an aging coal fired Rayburn
with a gas fired Stanley last year and had some problems. We fully blame
the place we bought it from for not giving us good advice and leaving
it too late to get the survey done, and that might have been down to our
own naiveity, but in any case, we were told the Stanley was 920mm wide,
so we widened the chimney to a few mm over 920mm, then were told it
needed an inch either side by a the local Stanley fitter who really
didn't want the work.

In the end we got in-touch with Stanley direct and a local plumber/gas
fitter who was much more willing to take our money than the suppliers
recommended man, widened it a little by removing the plaster and some
underlying render and a compromise was struck. We got another Stanley
approved fitter to commission it so we got the extended warranty, etc.

Just a bit of faff, but make doubly sure the gap is wide enough!

Gordon
Chris Harris

Do you just mean gas or electric cooker, or is the gas or electricity

itself
a previously un-enjoyed luxury? And won't they let you have both :-)

This house probably had electricity before you did up there ;-) since the
1920s anyway.

I mean the cooker. Gas hob/electric oven is the currently favoured choice,
but also looking at all electric using an induction hob.

No when people had time and not much money peat was the normal fuel for
heating and cooking here. Its use has been in rapid decline since the 1970s
though.

CJH

Owain

"Chris Harris" wrote
| Do you just mean gas or electric cooker, or is the gas or electricity
| itself a previously un-enjoyed luxury? And won't they let you have
| both :-)
| This house probably had electricity before you did up there ;-) since the
| 1920s anyway.

1st March 1900
www.stirlingcity.org.uk/imgstg/08.html

| I mean the cooker. Gas hob/electric oven is the currently favoured choice,
| but also looking at all electric using an induction hob.

Induction-friendly pans can be expensive, though.

Owain

Cooker Socket over Cooker? Neil UK diy 8 July 20th 03 10:28 PM
LPG cooker - gas supply query drlurch UK diy 2 July 14th 03 11:58 AM
Tiling Guides -any recommendations ? John Schmitt UK diy 5 July 14th 03 08:47 AM
Cooker switch light flickering Adam UK diy 7 July 11th 03 07:55 PM
Bosch Xcel range Witchy UK diy 1 July 9th 03 03:23 PM