Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why is there no flour?

On Friday, 22 May 2020 13:09:25 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 22/05/2020 00:05, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 23:03:18 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

On 21/05/2020 22:54, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 13:20:59 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Daughter picked us up a 1.5kg bag of white self raising flour and I
had to look up things to do with it. Very little you can make is good
for you. (We aren't likely to bake cakes when we don't normally buy
them).

Eg, so far it's made some (vegan) pancakes and Yorkshire puddings.

Handy for a bit of thickening in a stew / casserole.

Isn't that 'cornflour'?

Cornflour (aka maize starch) has been available all along.

Quite, so I'm thinking must be sufficiently 'different from regular
'flour' to stop people using it as std flour?

Plus (and my point) is that I thought it was that that you use for
thickening stews, not self raising flour that would be better suited
to other things, especially atm?

Cornflour (aka maize starch, or corn starch in the US) isn't really
flour as in ground down grains. It's the starch extracted from the maize
grains. It doesn't have enough 'body' for baking. It's used for
thickening gravy or making blancmange or custard. (Custard powder is
just flavoured maize starch.)

You can use normal plain (wheat) flour to thicken a stew, but it's
better to mix it with the meat and onion before adding the stock, as it
tends to go lumpy otherwise.

Even potato flour (as in potato starch) was in short supply for a while. I prefer it for thickening purposes over cornflour.

Cornflour can be added to mixes for things like shortbread and viennese whorls - up to about one quarter by weight. Changes the texture a bit - arguably for the better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 May 2020 11:07:50 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2020 19:43:03 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
news

wrote:

snip

Daughter picked us up a 1.5kg bag of white self raising flour and I
had to look up things to do with it. Very little you can make is good
for you. (We aren't likely to bake cakes when we don't normally buy
them).

Eg, so far it's made some (vegan) pancakes and Yorkshire puddings.

Handy for a bit of thickening in a stew / casserole.

Isn't that 'cornflour'?

You can use either, they both work fine.

So what's cornflour supposed to be used for

It is mostly used for that thickening stuff and
does work better than white flour for some
stuff like relish etc.

and why would people buy /use it over 'ordinary'
baking flour if it worked equally well?

It doesn't work equally well with some stuff like relish etc.

What can you do with cornflour that you couldn't do with white
self-raising (as that's what daughter happened to get me)?

Relish etc does work better with cornflour.

Eg, I found a recipe for vegan 'custard' [1] and that required
cornflour (that I didn't have at the time) and not 'white self raising
flour' (that I did).

Yeah, its mostly the lighter flavoured stuff like that that it does better

Would it have worked, looked and
tasted just the same with self raising?

No, but plain flour and cornflour do work just as well with roast
meat gravy and stews. the stronger flavoured stuff like that.

Ah, so they have the same effect when used in those roles (thickeners)
but you are better off using cornflour where light tastes are involved
or where you need to avoid gluten.

If you use gravy granules (rather than your cooking stock) for your
gravy, would you typically need to thicken it? Could that be why I've
never had the need?

Cheers, T i m

Many graby granule products contain potato starch as thickener. It does change a bit when kept hot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 19:43 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost SEVENTEEN HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Fri, 22 May 2020 19:43:03 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

19:43???? ROTFLOL ...and you've been up and trolling since 03:07, ALL night,
ALL morning, ALL afternoon, ALL evening, yet AGAIN, you subnormal
86-year-old senile cretin! LOL

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/22/2020 2:29 PM, Fredxx wrote:
On 22/05/2020 13:50:51, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
you have a cosco up there ? ...

Aberdeen?

There's one in Aberdeen, one in Edinburgh, and one in Glasgow. But I
bought 2, half kilo bricks last time I was in the US. It keeps well in
the freezer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 May 2020 10:13:19 UTC+1, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/22/2020 12:12 AM, T i m wrote:

What would be more interesting would be if you had just made bread
from yeast you froze a year ago (and presumably you could)?

Given I'm guessing you don't need a lot, I'm surprised you don't hear
more of people keeping their own frozen stocks (like ice cubes)?

Or is it that *normally* dried / fresh yeast is so easy to come by?

I normally buy yeast in half-kilo, vacuum-packed bricks, and store it in
the freezer. If kept frozen, it can remain active _years_ past the use
by date.

Last lot I bought was in 30 gram foil wrapped lumps - from Morrisons.

When defrosted it goes a bit like very soft putty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message ...

On 5/22/2020 12:12 AM, T i m wrote:

What would be more interesting would be if you had just made bread
from yeast you froze a year ago (and presumably you could)?

Given I'm guessing you don't need a lot, I'm surprised you don't hear
more of people keeping their own frozen stocks (like ice cubes)?

Or is it that *normally* dried / fresh yeast is so easy to come by?

I normally buy yeast in half-kilo, vacuum-packed bricks, and store it in
the freezer. If kept frozen, it can remain active _years_ past the use by
date.

===

Where do you buy that? I have use dried yeast for a long time.

Costco, generally. But the last batch, I found on Amazon - Fermipan, I
believe it was.

===

Thanks

you have a cosco up there ? ...

====

No, but I regularly use Amazon

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/22/2020 12:12 AM, T i m wrote:

[...]

Moray!

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 5/22/2020 2:29 PM, Fredxx wrote:
On 22/05/2020 13:50:51, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
you have a cosco up there ? ...

Aberdeen?

There's one in Aberdeen, one in Edinburgh, and one in Glasgow. But I
bought 2, half kilo bricks last time I was in the US. It keeps well in
the freezer.

====

I didn't know that Thanks

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2020 15:26, polygonum_on_google wrote:
Last lot I bought was in 30 gram foil wrapped lumps

Golly - that took me back to the 1960s...

--
€śProgress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,€ť

€“ Ludwig von Mises

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 May 2020 13:09:20 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

snip

Cornflour (aka maize starch, or corn starch in the US) isn't really
flour as in ground down grains. It's the starch extracted from the maize
grains. It doesn't have enough 'body' for baking. It's used for
thickening gravy or making blancmange or custard. (Custard powder is
just flavoured maize starch.)

That's interesting. I didn't really consider what 'real' custard was
made from and was surprised when my cornflour, vanilla extract, sugar
and soya milk custard came out so, well custardy! ;-)

It was actually quite firm so now I know to reduce the cornflour or
increase the soya milk if I want something runnier.

Alpro do a nice (vegan) custard but can't seem to be able to get it
atm.

You can use normal plain (wheat) flour to thicken a stew, but it's
better to mix it with the meat and onion before adding the stock, as it
tends to go lumpy otherwise.

Don't eat meat so don't get the stock but happy with the vegan gravy
granules.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 22 May 2020 12:57:25 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

Yes, with the stews/casseroles.

but you are better off using cornflour where light
tastes are involved or where you need to avoid gluten.

Yeah, I meant to mention the gluten and forgot to.

If you use gravy granules (rather than your cooking stock)
for your gravy, would you typically need to thicken it?

Yes. You don't if you use the other alternative, the powdered gravy mix.
https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/p...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Could that be why I've never had the need?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
On 22/05/2020 11:41, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/22/2020 10:34 AM, T i m wrote:
.
I think it was an old bag of flour at the back of a cupboard that was
the seat of a flour mite infestation we had a while back. [1]
It was one of those things that daughter bought in to bake something
she fancied but the remainder was never used.
I think I read that flour often contains flour mites (and why some
people freeze there's before storing) so do you do that so it could be
kept in store for a while?
[1] A deep clean and keeping all flour / pasta / crackers in rigid
containers seems to have resolved it.

I store whole grain flours in the freezer, as the oil in them can go
rancid otherwise. The various white flours are kept in large (up to 4
litre) Kilner-type jars, to keep out moisture, mice and bugs. Also, yes,
flour can contain bug eggs, and if they hatch out in one jar, they won't
infest anything else.

The traditional way, other than stock rotation, to prevent flour mites is
to pop a Bay Leaf in with the flour.

Doesnt stop the bug eggs hatching.

--
https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-...forced-labour/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

What do you prefer about it ? Never tried it myself.

Cornflour can be added to mixes for things like shortbread and viennese
whorls - up to about one quarter by weight. Changes the texture a bit -
arguably for the better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 23 May 2020 04:51:02 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"That˘s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 May 2020 05:12:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the abnormal trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 May 2020 05:24:26 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

--
Marland addressing senile Rodent's tall stories:
"Do you really think people believe your stories you come up with to boost
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2020 21:13:26 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

You could try Bannock.

Ive not made it for nearly 50 years but I was thinking about it the
other day as weve run out of yeast.

If seen it a few times on YouTube- it is popular with campers (I learned
to make it in the Scouts). Basically a flat bread. As one of the videos
on YouTube mentions, most cultures have a flat bread in their cuisine,
Bannock is probably our closest. The Indians (Asian ones) have Naan
bread, North American Indians have theirs, ......

The lying kentish ****wit fails again.

Naan bread has yeast.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead