Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why is there no flour?

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Wouldn't say it's back to normal yet, but have seen
plain/wholemeal/self-raising in sainsburys, eight different varies on
the shelf in waitrose, and small bags obviously portioned-out from
industrial sacks in morrisons and asda ... try shopping at different times?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message ...

Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Wouldn't say it's back to normal yet, but have seen
plain/wholemeal/self-raising in sainsburys, eight different varies on
the shelf in waitrose, and small bags obviously portioned-out from
industrial sacks in morrisons and asda ... try shopping at different times?

==

I was in ASDA in Elgin today.

There was the usual Plain, SR and some bags filled in store!

They were labelled 'baking flour'! I didn't have a clue what that was
supposed to be.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Wouldn't say it's back to normal yet, but have seen
plain/wholemeal/self-raising in sainsburys, eight different varies on the
shelf in waitrose, and small bags obviously portioned-out from industrial
sacks in morrisons and asda

in what sense do you mean obviously here

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Wouldn't say it's back to normal yet, but have seen
plain/wholemeal/self-raising in sainsburys, eight different varies on
the shelf in waitrose, and small bags obviously portioned-out from
industrial sacks in morrisons and asda

in what sense do you mean obviously here

Because it's just one of those in-store bakery paper bags with a clear
window and a printed label saying "flour 1kg"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2020 10:52, Andy Burns wrote:
tim... wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Wouldn't say it's back to normal yet, but have seen
plain/wholemeal/self-raising in sainsburys, eight different varies on
the shelf in waitrose, and small bags obviously portioned-out from
industrial sacks in morrisons and asda

in what sense do you mean obviously here

Because it's just one of those in-store bakery paper bags with a clear
window and a printed label saying "flour 1kg"

Local farm shop sells flour bagged into 1kg clear plastic bags
that their bread supplier has provided.

Local Sainsburys has had eggs for a while and yesterday had
a shelf full of clear PET containers of 15 (or ?18) brown eggs
and the label was marked 'Blakes'. This company normally supplies
the catering trade and bulk users.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Wouldn't say it's back to normal yet, but have seen
plain/wholemeal/self-raising in sainsburys, eight different varies on
the shelf in waitrose, and small bags obviously portioned-out from
industrial sacks in morrisons and asda

in what sense do you mean obviously here

Because it's just one of those in-store bakery paper bags with a clear
window and a printed label saying "flour 1kg"

Local farm shop sells flour bagged into 1kg clear plastic bags
that their bread supplier has provided.

Local Sainsburys has had eggs for a while and yesterday had
a shelf full of clear PET containers of 15 (or ?18) brown eggs
and the label was marked 'Blakes'. This company normally supplies
the catering trade and bulk users.

Brakes,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Same here. A while back they were saying there was flour but no bags to put it in, you would have thought they would have solved that by now. SWAMBO tells me she has managed to get a 1.5 Kg bag for £6 on Amazon. Dont know if that is expensive?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:

SWAMBO tells me she has managed to get a 1.5 Kg bag for £6 on Amazon. Dont know if that is expensive?

very.

Dad can't go out to buy, and supermarket deliveries didn't deliver him
any (probably because he ticks the "no substitutes" box) he has started
buying mail-order bulk

https://hobbshousebakery.co.uk/products/shipton-mill-white-flour-16kg
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 20/05/2020 15:34, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Same here. A while back they were saying there was flour but no bags to put it in, you would have thought they would have solved that by now. SWAMBO tells me she has managed to get a 1.5 Kg bag for £6 on Amazon. Dont know if that is expensive?

Most flour is sold to the catering trade. So plenty of flour in catering
sizes but not in retail sizes.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
Same here. A while back they were saying there was flour but no bags to
put it in, you would have thought they would have solved that by now.
SWAMBO tells me she has managed to get a 1.5 Kg bag for £6 on Amazon. Dont
know if that is expensive?

sounds a rip-off to me

Ok yep, 80p in Sainsbury's (If they have any)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/20 15:25, Broadback wrote:
seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Yesterday, in a big Sainsburys, there were plenty of bags of their
own-brand plain and self-raising flour. It's the first time I've seen it
there for weeks. Oh, I forgot to mention these were, IIRC, 12kg bags! :-)

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2020 15:41, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 20/05/20 15:25, Broadback wrote:
seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Yesterday, in a big Sainsburys, there were plenty of bags of their
own-brand plain and self-raising flour. It's the first time I've seen it
there for weeks. Oh, I forgot to mention these were, IIRC, 12kg bags! :-)

I just go in at 5PM and the unsold 'proper' bread, like sourdough
is always reduced for quick sale, usually 40p instead of £1.70 or
£2. Sourdough bread seems to keep long enough for me to eat it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 20/05/2020 15:41, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 20/05/20 15:25, Broadback wrote:
seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Yesterday, in a big Sainsburys, there were plenty of bags of their
own-brand plain and self-raising flour. It's the first time I've seen it
there for weeks. Oh, I forgot to mention these were, IIRC, 12kg bags! :-)

I just go in at 5PM and the unsold 'proper' bread, like sourdough
is always reduced for quick sale, usually 40p instead of £1.70 or
£2.

really

I go in at 9 am (or whatever) and I find 2 or 3 day old bread on the shelf

Unless I can find "today's" bread hidden behind, it stays on the shelf,

but someone must buy it, it never makes the marked down shelf in an edible
state (good for bread crumbs perhaps)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 May 2020 15:25:27 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Round here Lidl, Aldi, Tesco, health food shop - all have flour. Sometimes quite a range.

Wholemeal bread, white bread, white ordinary, self-raising, spelt, rye, organic, gluten-free in numerous varieties, and others.

Might not have all of them, every day, but plenty around. Just cooked my latest loaf this morning. 50:50 wholemeal and white. Divided dough in three. Added lots of mixed herbs to one piece, grand padano to another and left one plain. Shaped each one into a small loaf. Placed herb at one end, cheese at the other and plain in the middle. When they proved, the three parts just about welded to each other to make one loaf.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6h3p9jz5aa...2%202.png?dl=0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:
seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

There has been no flour shortage as such, eg there is always bread on
the shelves, but I am told a lack of capacity to pack and distribute it
in consumer sized bags.

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 May 2020 15:45:38 +0100, TimW wrote:

On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:
seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

There has been no flour shortage as such, eg there is always bread on
the shelves, but I am told a lack of capacity to pack and distribute it
in consumer sized bags.

Indeed. I bought a 16kg bag by mail order.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:
seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

It was.

But this week Tescos even had recognisable brands like Homepride and
Bero. Recent weeks it had been anonymous brown paper bags with decanted
catering grade bulk flower in and inkjet printed labels. The latter
still made up the bulk of what was on offer but things are better now.

It was only absent for a couple of weeks round here before pubs and
restaurants started selling their bulk stock to the village shop.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message ...

On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:
seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

It was.

But this week Tescos even had recognisable brands like Homepride and
Bero. Recent weeks it had been anonymous brown paper bags with decanted
catering grade bulk flower in and inkjet printed labels. The latter
still made up the bulk of what was on offer but things are better now.

It was only absent for a couple of weeks round here before pubs and
restaurants started selling their bulk stock to the village shop.

Regards,
Martin Brown

===

The only flour I can't get up here is Bread Flour!

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message ...

On 20 May 2020 at 16:27:34 BST, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:
seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

It was.

But this week Tescos even had recognisable brands like Homepride and
Bero. Recent weeks it had been anonymous brown paper bags with decanted
catering grade bulk flower in and inkjet printed labels. The latter
still made up the bulk of what was on offer but things are better now.

It was only absent for a couple of weeks round here before pubs and
restaurants started selling their bulk stock to the village shop.

Still no Alinson's strong white flour which is what we tend to get.

Tim

==

Yes that is what I need!

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe everyone has stock piled it.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Broadback" wrote in message
seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My Rentokil shares dipped on March 17th but recovred with
10 days.

They are going to be busy de-fleaing all those Travelodge
and Premier Inns when the 'homeless' are booted out.

All that stockpiled flour, pasta and dry biscuits are going
to cause domestic infestations too, I suspect.

On 20/05/2020 21:50, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Maybe everyone has stock piled it.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Because of all the flour sold in the UK normally, about 2% of it is sold
through retail. The rest sold in bulk to commercial food manufacturers
and the catering trade. I think I read that the average consumption per
household is about 1 bag every six weeks or so.

That was before everyone was sat at home trying to do some baking or
bread making!

(now the wholesalers are trying to work out how to get bulk flour into
the retail channels)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Because of all the flour sold in the UK normally, about 2% of it is sold
through retail. The rest sold in bulk to commercial food manufacturers and
the catering trade. I think I read that the average consumption per
household is about 1 bag every six weeks or so.

That sounds very high

I would guess half the population buys zero bags every year

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2020 10:36:50 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Because of all the flour sold in the UK normally, about 2% of it is sold
through retail. The rest sold in bulk to commercial food manufacturers and
the catering trade. I think I read that the average consumption per
household is about 1 bag every six weeks or so.

That sounds very high

I would guess half the population buys zero bags every year

We don't typically buy flour or make our own bread ... needs must.

Daughter picked us up a 1.5kg bag of white self raising flour and I
had to look up things to do with it. Very little you can make is good
for you. (We aren't likely to bake cakes when we don't normally buy
them).

Eg, so far it's made some (vegan) pancakes and Yorkshire puddings.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Because of all the flour sold in the UK normally, about 2% of it is sold
through retail. The rest sold in bulk to commercial food manufacturers and
the catering trade. I think I read that the average consumption per
household is about 1 bag every six weeks or so.

That sounds very high

I would guess half the population buys zero bags every year

We don't typically buy flour or make our own bread ... needs must.

Daughter picked us up a 1.5kg bag of white self raising flour and I
had to look up things to do with it. Very little you can make is good
for you. (We aren't likely to bake cakes when we don't normally buy
them).

Eg, so far it's made some (vegan) pancakes and Yorkshire puddings.

Handy for a bit of thickening in a stew / casserole.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
[...]

that's the only reason I ever bought a bag

The bag lasted so long that I gave up bothering and just had thin gravy

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2020 13:20:59 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Daughter picked us up a 1.5kg bag of white self raising flour and I
had to look up things to do with it. Very little you can make is good
for you. (We aren't likely to bake cakes when we don't normally buy
them).

Eg, so far it's made some (vegan) pancakes and Yorkshire puddings.

Handy for a bit of thickening in a stew / casserole.

Isn't that 'cornflour'?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Because of all the flour sold in the UK normally, about 2% of it is sold
through retail. The rest sold in bulk to commercial food manufacturers
and
the catering trade. I think I read that the average consumption per
household is about 1 bag every six weeks or so.

That sounds very high

I would guess half the population buys zero bags every year

We don't typically buy flour or make our own bread ... needs must.

Daughter picked us up a 1.5kg bag of white self raising flour and I
had to look up things to do with it.

presumably that's the sort you can't make bread with?

what's the reason for that?

surely flour and water mixed together and baked in the oven just works (flat
bread without the yeast)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Because of all the flour sold in the UK normally, about 2% of it is
sold
through retail. The rest sold in bulk to commercial food
manufacturers and
the catering trade. I think I read that the average consumption per
household is about 1 bag every six weeks or so.

That sounds very high

I would guess half the population buys zero bags every year

We don't typically buy flour or make our own bread ... needs must.

Daughter picked us up a 1.5kg bag of white self raising flour and I
had to look up things to do with it.

presumably that's the sort you can't make bread with?

what's the reason for that?

surely flour and water mixed together and baked in the oven just works
(flat bread without the yeast)

To most people, bread means leavened, which required gluten.

I make chapattis with ordinary plain white flour and cook it in a (dry)
frying pan.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Because of all the flour sold in the UK normally, about 2% of it is sold
through retail. The rest sold in bulk to commercial food manufacturers
and
the catering trade. I think I read that the average consumption per
household is about 1 bag every six weeks or so.

That sounds very high

I would guess half the population buys zero bags every year

We don't typically buy flour or make our own bread ... needs must.

Daughter picked us up a 1.5kg bag of white self raising flour and I
had to look up things to do with it.

presumably that's the sort you can't make bread with?

what's the reason for that?

surely flour and water mixed together and baked in the oven just works (flat
bread without the yeast)

You could try Bannock.

Ive not made it for nearly 50 years but I was thinking about it the other
day as weve run out of yeast.

If seen it a few times on YouTube- it is popular with campers (I learned to
make it in the Scouts). Basically a flat bread. As one of the videos on
YouTube mentions, most cultures have a flat bread in their cuisine, Bannock
is probably our closest. The Indians (Asian ones) have Naan bread, North
American Indians have theirs, ......

You can use an oven but cooking on a griddle / frying pan is more common.
(Naan is done in a special oven of course).

Not really a substitute for normal bread but our perception of normal bread
is rather an interesting concept. There was a very good documentary on BBC
4 a few days ago on the history of bread.

--
https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact...an-trafficking
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2020 18:32:49 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

snip

Daughter picked us up a 1.5kg bag of white self raising flour and I
had to look up things to do with it.

presumably that's the sort you can't make bread with?

I don't think it's the flour one normally use to make bread. Not that
I 'normally' make bread and when I have it's generally been a pre-mix
(or when I borrowed a neighbours bread-maker).

what's the reason for that?

Pass, I'm not a baker. ;-)

surely flour and water mixed together and baked in the oven just works (flat
bread without the yeast)

So it makes something else (other than what most people consider to be
bread I mean), like the pancakes or Yorkshire puddings I've been
making? ;-)

I did consider bagels but I believe that needs a yeast and I don't
have the time atm to be 'playing' with such 'extra' / time consuming
things.

I like Max's idea of chapattis though.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 May 2020 10:37:52 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
think I read that the average consumption per
household is about 1 bag every six weeks or so.

That sounds very high
I would guess half the population buys zero bags every year

But those that do buy flour probably use a lot more. Even if the other half of the population buys two bags every 6 weeks to make the average, that's not much for all culinary purposes (bread, cakes, pastry, batters, even flouring meat before browning).

It can also be used to make play-dough, and there are a lot of young children at home now.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2020 10:36, tim... wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Because of all the flour sold in the UK normally, about 2% of it is
sold through retail. The rest sold in bulk to commercial food
manufacturers and the catering trade. I think I read that the average
consumption per household is about 1 bag every six weeks or so.

That sounds very high

I would guess half the population buys zero bags every year

Note that was *households* not population...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2020 10:36, tim... wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Because of all the flour sold in the UK normally, about 2% of it is
sold through retail. The rest sold in bulk to commercial food
manufacturers and the catering trade. I think I read that the average
consumption per household is about 1 bag every six weeks or so.

That sounds very high

I would guess half the population buys zero bags every year

I have never bought a bag of flour in my life. why bother
when products made from it are normally on-shelf everywhere ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew
writes
I have never bought a bag of flour in my life. why bother
when products made from it are normally on-shelf everywhere ?.

Says the man in the D I Y group ;-)

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 May 2020 13:51:35 UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
I have never bought a bag of flour in my life. why bother
when products made from it are normally on-shelf everywhere ?.

Says the man in the D I Y group ;-)

My house is made from bricks; I've never bought a brick.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
On 21 May 2020 at 13:35:23 BST, Andrew
wrote:

On 21/05/2020 10:36, tim... wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Because of all the flour sold in the UK normally, about 2% of it is
sold through retail. The rest sold in bulk to commercial food
manufacturers and the catering trade. I think I read that the average
consumption per household is about 1 bag every six weeks or so.

That sounds very high

I would guess half the population buys zero bags every year

I have never bought a bag of flour in my life. why bother
when products made from it are normally on-shelf everywhere ?.

Because the home made products are cheaper

not at 6 pounds a bag of flour, it isn't

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/05/2020 10:36, tim... wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Because of all the flour sold in the UK normally, about 2% of it is
sold through retail. The rest sold in bulk to commercial food
manufacturers and the catering trade. I think I read that the average
consumption per household is about 1 bag every six weeks or so.

That sounds very high

I would guess half the population buys zero bags every year

I have never bought a bag of flour in my life. why bother
when products made from it are normally on-shelf everywhere ?.

Because the home made products are cheaper

not at 6 pounds a bag of flour, it isn't

I'm not paying £6 for a bag.

but the OP did

that how we started this thread

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/05/2020 10:36, tim... wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Because of all the flour sold in the UK normally, about 2% of it is
sold through retail. The rest sold in bulk to commercial food
manufacturers and the catering trade. I think I read that the average
consumption per household is about 1 bag every six weeks or so.

That sounds very high

I would guess half the population buys zero bags every year

I have never bought a bag of flour in my life. why bother
when products made from it are normally on-shelf everywhere ?.

Because the home made products are cheaper and generally tastier. And, as
keep pointing out, it takes 5 minutes of my time to load up the bread
maker so
I can wake up to a freshly baked loaf.

Doesnt even take 1 minute of my time with mine.