Old October 26th 13, 09:31 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Video showing heavy flour in AA batteries: any way for layman to testNiMH batteries?

I have a Panasonic DECT phone which takes AAA batteries. The ones I am using are 2-3 years old and although they always measure OK on a simple battery meter, give such pathetic call quality that I strongly suspect the have very few amps indeed. (compared to how the phone used to work). When left off the hook, the phone is dead within a day or so.

So I just bought on ebay some new NiMH ones called Rayzel (no reviews available) with an ominously anonymous light green casing. They claim to be 2100 MAH to replace the present 650MAH ones. They say they come from a place called Virginia but are scheduled to take 5 days to get a couple of hundred miles to me by USPS.

Then I saw the video showing how these can apparently weigh as much as the normal ones but be filled with flour or crack or something and in fact be some poxy module a few millimeters in mass. Which, far from giving 2100Ma, gives in reality only 66Ma and looks as if it may well last as long as five minutes so long as no meaningful load is put on it.

Is there any way of testing them to make sure they are what they say they are before leaving misleading positive feedback? I have no way of knowing how long the phone which is designed to be left on the hook is supposed to last when left off the hook. If I buy a very cheap battery tester, would it have no cut out circuits and put a proper constant load on the battery such that if left in place, the voltage may lower over the course of a few minutes connection? (or does that only happen when the battery is actually completely failing)

I also have a Philips TSU500 remote in which I use slightly pricey Sanyo Eneloop batteries supposedly heavily quality controlled by Costco before sale.. They are now possibly as old as 6-8 months and used to last a week or so before stopping working. Now they can go from fully charged (2-3 days in a charger) to dead in 3 days. Again, I am wondering if there is any way to test them before I decide that they need replacing rather than that the TSU500 itself is chewing up batteries and needs replacing!

Old October 26th 13, 10:14 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Assuming this isn't a joke...

I don't believe AAA cells can have 2100mAh capacity. So that's a problem.

What ever happened to buying OEM batteries?

If there's a battery store near (such as Interstate), try it.
Old October 26th 13, 10:31 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 13:31:34 -0700 (PDT), Amanda Riphnykhazova
wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't be surprised if the video is a practical joke. A friend of
mine sent me a link that showed that what is inside the large 6 volt
lantern batteries are just a whole bunch of AA batteries. I told him
that the video was crap. He didn't believe me and went out and bought
one of these batteries and pried the bottom off. Just like I told him
there were 4 large cells in the thing, not a whole bunch of AA cells.
He did call me to tell me I was right and say he felt pretty silly.
Eric
Old October 26th 13, 11:19 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, October 26, 2013 5:14:32 PM UTC-4, William Sommerwerck wrote:
Assuming this isn't a joke...

I suppose it may well be a joke, look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOshOXcSkDA and you decide: It even warns viewers off the seller and says they refused to refund ALL of the money paid.

I don't believe AAA cells can have 2100mAh capacity. So that's a problem.

Yes, that occurred to me as well when I saw the video but there seem to be lots of them on ebay and I wondered what they really were and how to test them if they do work on arrival and aren't completely fake. There IS a major leap of faith between something marked 650MAH and an offer of 2100 MAH

What ever happened to buying OEM batteries?

If there's a battery store near (such as Interstate), try it.

I didnt know that Interstate made AAA batteries but how do they compare in price to the ones from Virginia on ebay? Assuming the ones arent just useless
Old October 26th 13, 11:34 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Amanda Riphnykhazova" wrote in message

The following aren't cheap, but at least they're from a major manufacturer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-Panason...ht_1345wt_1382

You might also try Thomas Distributing. I buy all my rechargeables from them.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com

Old October 26th 13, 11:46 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thomas Distributing show that they distribute Eneloop NiMH batteries which I wonder about in OP.

I did check with Panasonic and they say they recommend NiMH so I assume I shouldnt be using NiCAD and cant recharge Lithium ones. So how far can I push the milliamps realistically? And, again, is there any way of testing whatever I do end up with please?

I suppose I can just charge them along with the present batteries and leave them next to each other for a few days and see how long they last before they die. But that says nothing about how long any batteries I get are going to LAST?
Old October 27th 13, 12:49 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Now I have seen a report that for cordless phones, you should use special low discharge batteries and that ordinary NiMH ones will just die if left off the base So i am not sure I can even perform the test I thought obvious! The low discharge ones say they are something over 900MAH.

There seem to be lots of sellers specifically targeting their sales towards Panasonic cordless phones. I wonder if there is any difference or if "low discharge" means anything (in practical terms)?
Old October 27th 13, 01:00 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Amanda Riphnykhazova"

** Total ********.

There seem to be lots of sellers specifically targeting their sales towards
Panasonic cordless phones. I wonder if there is any difference or if "low
discharge" means anything (in practical terms)?

** None.

Cordless phones are normally left on constant charge.

Low discharge cells ( ie Eneloop) have advantage when the device is left
with no use or charge for months on end.

Like a digital camera or torch often is.

..... Phil

Old October 27th 13, 01:20 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yeah, interestingly low discharge is also described as low self-discharge, indicating that they will discharge THEMSELVES if left alone and turned off.."Like a digital camera or torch often is" It doesnt seem to say anything about whether they will discharge any more than other batteries if left 'on' in a working phone. Although the description implies it strongly, doesn't it!

OT. Something about a video showing vegetables growing. [email protected] Metalworking 1 April 21st 13 07:24 PM
Video: Hikers Arrested For Not Showing IDs In Ultra-Orthodox Jewish Town Ed Huntress Metalworking 18 February 28th 12 12:40 PM
New Batteries Weatherlawyer UK diy 19 January 19th 08 03:23 PM
My DVD Player Stopped showing Video sabedra211 Electronics Repair 3 May 16th 05 03:42 AM
Alklaines better than heavy duty batteries [email protected] Electronics Repair 10 January 22nd 05 05:05 AM