Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Why is there no flour?

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
On 22/05/2020 11:41, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/22/2020 10:34 AM, T i m wrote:
.
I think it was an old bag of flour at the back of a cupboard that was
the seat of a flour mite infestation we had a while back. [1]
It was one of those things that daughter bought in to bake something
she fancied but the remainder was never used.
I think I read that flour often contains flour mites (and why some
people freeze there's before storing) so do you do that so it could be
kept in store for a while?
[1] A deep clean and keeping all flour / pasta / crackers in rigid
containers seems to have resolved it.

I store whole grain flours in the freezer, as the oil in them can go
rancid otherwise. The various white flours are kept in large (up to 4
litre) Kilner-type jars, to keep out moisture, mice and bugs. Also, yes,
flour can contain bug eggs, and if they hatch out in one jar, they won't
infest anything else.

The traditional way, other than stock rotation, to prevent flour mites is
to pop a Bay Leaf in with the flour.

Doesnt stop the bug eggs hatching.

--
https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-...forced-labour/