Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Why is there no flour?

On Fri, 22 May 2020 13:09:20 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

snip

Cornflour (aka maize starch, or corn starch in the US) isn't really
flour as in ground down grains. It's the starch extracted from the maize
grains. It doesn't have enough 'body' for baking. It's used for
thickening gravy or making blancmange or custard. (Custard powder is
just flavoured maize starch.)

That's interesting. I didn't really consider what 'real' custard was
made from and was surprised when my cornflour, vanilla extract, sugar
and soya milk custard came out so, well custardy! ;-)

It was actually quite firm so now I know to reduce the cornflour or
increase the soya milk if I want something runnier.

Alpro do a nice (vegan) custard but can't seem to be able to get it
atm.

You can use normal plain (wheat) flour to thicken a stew, but it's
better to mix it with the meat and onion before adding the stock, as it
tends to go lumpy otherwise.

Don't eat meat so don't get the stock but happy with the vegan gravy
granules.

Cheers, T i m