Conrad Edwards

Default Miele washing machines

I'm fed up with cheap quality washing machines and was thinking about
Miele.
How easy are they to fix after the 5 year guarantee is up...are parts
easy to get and reasonably priced?
How many of you have Miele and never have problems?
IMM

"Conrad Edwards" wrote in message

I'm fed up with cheap quality washing machines and was thinking about
Miele.
How easy are they to fix after the 5 year guarantee is up...are parts
easy to get and reasonably priced?
How many of you have Miele and never have problems?

Are you fed up with the down time meaning no clothes washed for a weeks or
so? Probably, yes. Then buy two mid priced washing machines and still have
change over a Miele. Two Bosches for a Miele and change. If one drops out
then one still works and no down time. Two loads at once of different
colours. As the load is evened out between the two they should last longer
as less wear.

Miele's do go wrong and when they do you are still in the same position as
when a cheapy Hotpoint is down too.

Think about it.

---

BigWallop

"IMM" wrote in message

[...]

Very good points IMM. A washing machine is a washing machine, and all can
break down. A make like Hoover is more easily repaired because the parts
are more readily available and cheaper. I would also recommend staying
clear of a washer/dryer combination machine because they are notorious for
being fault magnets, with almost constant filter cleaning and flushing
condenser bottles to stop them over heating and burning out and things, can
be a real pain in the proverbial.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

tony sayer

In article , Conrad Edwards
writes

I'm fed up with cheap quality washing machines and was thinking about
Miele.
How easy are they to fix after the 5 year guarantee is up...are parts
easy to get and reasonably priced?
How many of you have Miele and never have problems?

We've had one for some years now and no problems at all. Very
recommended, and worth that extra. Bit like a BMW over a ford IMHO...
--
Tony Sayer

IMM

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Conrad Edwards" wrote in message

I'm fed up with cheap quality washing
machines and was thinking about
Miele.

Are you fed up with the down time meaning
no clothes washed for a weeks or
so? Probably, yes. Then buy two mid
priced washing machines and still
have change over a Miele. Two Bosches
for a Miele and change. If one drops
out then one still works and no down time.
Two loads at once of different
colours. As the load is evened out between
the two they should last longer as less wear.

Miele's do go wrong and when they do you
are still in the same position as
when a cheapy Hotpoint is down too.

Think about it.

Very good points IMM. A washing machine is
a washing machine, and all can
break down.

I suggested this approach to a relative with 3 young children, who would
think the world had caved in when the washing machine broke down. They put
one in the kitchen and one in the garage. They have had two machines for
near 20 years now, and never had to go to the laundrette (if you can find
one).

A make like Hoover is more
easily repaired because the parts
are more readily available and cheaper.

So are Hotpoint, who make over 1/2 of washing machines sold in the UK, and
Bosch.

According to Which? magazine (August 2002) the most reliable machines we
Miele (92%), Candy (90%), Bosch (89%) and AEG (86%).

Candy are dirt cheap machines with Argos having a deal on one for £189.
Another point is always get the basic machine as most people never use the
extra functions, which means more money and more to go wrong.

Also go to John Lewis who have rock bottom deals, "never knowingly
undersold", and give a TWO year guarantee on all white goods. They are
on-line now. Hotpoint give 1 one year parts & labour (2 with John Lewis)
and 5 for parts.

If getting a £189 Candy from Argos, they are so cheap it is worth getting
the extra guarantee.

---

IMM

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news
In article , Conrad Edwards
writes

I'm fed up with cheap quality washing machines and was thinking about
Miele.
How easy are they to fix after the 5 year guarantee is up...are parts
easy to get and reasonably priced?
How many of you have Miele and never have problems?

We've had one for some years now and no problems at all. Very
recommended, and worth that extra. Bit like a BMW over a ford IMHO...

And BMW's still break down. Not as often, but when they do, you envy the man
in the Ford riding past.

---

Grunff

IMM wrote:

And BMW's still break down. Not as often, but when they do, you envy the man
in the Ford riding past.

Envy the man in the Ford!! Never!

But there is (I can't believe I'm typing this) some sense in
your suggestion about buying two machines - as long as you have
the space.

--
Grunff

tony sayer

In article , IMM
writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news
In article , Conrad Edwards
writes

I'm fed up with cheap quality washing machines and was thinking about
Miele.
How easy are they to fix after the 5 year guarantee is up...are parts
easy to get and reasonably priced?
How many of you have Miele and never have problems?

We've had one for some years now and no problems at all. Very
recommended, and worth that extra. Bit like a BMW over a ford IMHO...

And BMW's still break down. Not as often, but when they do, you envy the man
in the Ford riding past.

Well compare the prices and availability of a Ten year old series 3 with
those of Fords of the same vintage.

Let alone the desirability...

--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer

In article , Grunff
writes
IMM wrote:

And BMW's still break down. Not as often, but when they do, you envy the man
in the Ford riding past.

Envy the man in the Ford!! Never!

But there is (I can't believe I'm typing this) some sense in
your suggestion about buying two machines - as long as you have
the space.

Course take it to its logical conclusion you'd need a standby generator
as well for the odd chance of a power cut.

Never seemed to hurt my mum did it all by hand and her mother before
her. And today when anything breaks down the wailing that goes on.

We're turning into a nation of wusses..
--
Tony Sayer

John

In 28 years I am only on my second Indesit. I have just replaced the motor
brushes after 14 years. We have two children - both go horse riding and so
we have washed all the baby things (20 years ago) and are still doing loads
of washing.

I agree with the advice to go for a simple machine. Ensure the feet are
really well adjusted. Avoid extended warranties. Avoid washer/ dryer
combinations.

If has a serious problem - get rid and buy a new one (after trying some
switch cleaner on the programmer)

I think that Which-type results are a bit suspect. People who buy more
costly appliances tend to get very defensive about them. A bit like Volvo
drivers saying how reliable the cars are - but they forget how much they
spend on services (or VW - or others) (or that really expensive Vacuum
cleaner that needs you to take out a mortgage)

--

Regards

John

---

IMM

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news
In article , Conrad Edwards
writes

I'm fed up with cheap quality washing machines and was thinking about
Miele.
How easy are they to fix after the 5 year guarantee is up...are parts
easy to get and reasonably priced?
How many of you have Miele and never have problems?

We've had one for some years now and no problems at all. Very
recommended, and worth that extra. Bit like a BMW over a ford IMHO...

And BMW's still break down. Not as often, but when they do, you envy the

man
in the Ford riding past.

Well compare the prices and availability of a Ten year old series 3 with
those of Fords of the same vintage.

You are off mark. They still break down.

Let alone the desirability...

Irrelevant! This is intangible.

---

Grunff

IMM wrote:

Well compare the prices and availability of a Ten year old series 3 with
those of Fords of the same vintage.

You are off mark. They still break down.

No, he isn't. The point is that if a BMW is more reliable and
breaks down less often than a Ford, then it's total cost of
ownership will be lower.

Let alone the desirability...

Irrelevant! This is intangible.

And when you factor in how much more pleasant doing 80k miles in
my 325 is compared to doing the same in a Focus, it makes even
more sense.

--
Grunff

tony sayer

In article , John
writes
[...]

Actually we've got a Volvo 850 estate and its never been a moments
trouble. Done 135 K miles and the engine sounds like its just been run
in. And it no longer goes to main dealers since they were bought out by
another lot. A local mechanic looks after it and its tickety boo. Still
got that very solid feel about it too.

Oh, just remembered the vacuum cleaner is a miele too!......
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer

In article , fred writes
In article , tony sayer
writes
Bit like a BMW over a ford IMHO...

Are you saying that Miele are generally bought by arrogant pricks :-?

No.

Just that its more environmentally friendly to buy something that will
last rather than summat cheap, that will fill the landfill sooner. Just
look at modern day Videos and TV's..
--
Tony Sayer

Andy Hall

On 27 Jul 2003 18:35:15 GMT, (Bob Eager) wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 18:10:03 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I have a washer, a tumble dryer and a dishwasher made by Miele.

Together they have been in service for approaching 30 years - the
washer at about 12 (no faults at all), the tumble dryer at about 10
(one faulty push switch when nearly new, replaced FOC), the dishwasher
at about 7 years and has recently had a replacement filter strainer.

We have a 9 year old Hotpoint washing machine, and matching dryer.

Over that time, we've replaced a cable tie (loose hose), bearings, and
motor brushes (all in the washer, one instance each). Nothing in the
dryer (to be expected).

Given the very heavy use they get, I think that's not unreasonable.
Total cost of parts (if I'd gone to the right place, anyway) about 20
quid total. Spares are cheap and easy to obtain.

That, to me, is a pretty good TCO and would outperfornm a Miele by far.
OK, it doesn't include labour...but this is uk.d-i-y!

I don't follow the logic of that. The cost of having to replace a
set of bearings is not so much the cost of the materials - as you
point out they are cheap - but in the cost of doing the work.

I have no idea how long changing bearings takes on a Hotpoint or how
it is done, but I am sure that the labour cost for having the work
done professionally is going to be several times the parts cost.

Having looked at Miele spares pricing, some while ago, it didn't
strike me as expensive, and I do know that servicing on their washers
can be done entirely from the front - very useful considering the
weight of the very solid engineering.

Anyway, my philosophy in this is that I view my DIY time as expensive.
I would rather spend it creating something rather than fixing
something that is broken, so if spending a little more on a quality
product that over its life saves me 2-3 days of time then that makes
good economic sense to me.

Even if you don't mind spending the time, not having to fix something
that breaks seems worthwhile.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Bob Eager

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:28:51 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

Given the very heavy use they get, I think that's not unreasonable.
Total cost of parts (if I'd gone to the right place, anyway) about 20
quid total. Spares are cheap and easy to obtain.

That, to me, is a pretty good TCO and would outperfornm a Miele by far.
OK, it doesn't include labour...but this is uk.d-i-y!

I don't follow the logic of that. The cost of having to replace a
set of bearings is not so much the cost of the materials - as you
point out they are cheap - but in the cost of doing the work.

Yes...but to a DIY-er it's a good deal. To a non-DIY-er it isn't.

Or, to put it another way...the TCO of a Hotpoint is lower than a Miele
to a DIY-er...but *may* not be to soemone else.

I have no idea how long changing bearings takes on a Hotpoint or how
it is done, but I am sure that the labour cost for having the work
done professionally is going to be several times the parts cost.

Ian probably knows...but it took me about 3 hours...

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Dave Plowman

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Are you fed up with the down time meaning no clothes washed for a weeks
or so? Probably, yes. Then buy two mid priced washing machines and
still have change over a Miele. Two Bosches for a Miele and change. If
one drops out then one still works and no down time.

I never thought by your posts that you had a house so large that two
washing machines wouldn't be a problem. I'd say they'd be a pain for most.

--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Andy Hall

On 27 Jul 2003 20:12:47 GMT, (Bob Eager) wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:28:51 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

Given the very heavy use they get, I think that's not unreasonable.
Total cost of parts (if I'd gone to the right place, anyway) about 20
quid total. Spares are cheap and easy to obtain.

That, to me, is a pretty good TCO and would outperfornm a Miele by far.
OK, it doesn't include labour...but this is uk.d-i-y!

I don't follow the logic of that. The cost of having to replace a
set of bearings is not so much the cost of the materials - as you
point out they are cheap - but in the cost of doing the work.

Yes...but to a DIY-er it's a good deal. To a non-DIY-er it isn't.

Or, to put it another way...the TCO of a Hotpoint is lower than a Miele
to a DIY-er...but *may* not be to soemone else.

As long as you include fixing broken washing machines in your list of
enjoyable DIY tasks. I don't particularly, but it doesn't mean that
I don't DIY other things.

I have no idea how long changing bearings takes on a Hotpoint or how
it is done, but I am sure that the labour cost for having the work
done professionally is going to be several times the parts cost.

Ian probably knows...but it took me about 3 hours...

OK, seems reasonable. However, on top you presumably have to go and
buy the parts from somewhere - say another 1-2 hours - in effect most
of a day gone. If I cost my time at £150/day for DIY work, I might
as well have spent that money on a better quality machine and not had
the problem in the first place. I could spend the time on something
with a far better return.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Bob Eager

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:46:52 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

As long as you include fixing broken washing machines in your list of
enjoyable DIY tasks. I don't particularly, but it doesn't mean that
I don't DIY other things.

Well, it is quite satisfying....and I can do it. Some other DIY tasks I
wouldn't even attempt!

OK, seems reasonable. However, on top you presumably have to go and
buy the parts from somewhere - say another 1-2 hours - in effect most
of a day gone.

Mail order. A few clicks!

If I felt that I'd actually use that time to earn a load of dosh, then
clearly I'd change tactics. However, I'd probably just slouch in front
of the TV!

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Well compare the prices and availability
of a Ten year old series 3 with
those of Fords of the same vintage.

You are off mark. They still break down.

No, he isn't. The point is that if a BMW
is more reliable and breaks down less
often than a Ford, then it's total cost of
ownership will be lower.

But it still beaks down and there is down time. Two Ford's (spit) will mean
no down time.

Let alone the desirability...

Irrelevant! This is intangible.

And when you factor in how much more
pleasant doing 80k miles in
my 325 is compared to doing the same
in a Focus, it makes even more sense.

Still irrelevant to the main point.

---

IMM

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , IMM

writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news In article , Conrad

Edwards
writes

[...]

Well have a look on Autotrader and see if you can find one, they go like
the clappers:-))..

Fords are two a penny in the local rag..

They do sell more Ford's than BMW's

---

IMM

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Steve Firth
writes
tony sayer wrote:

Well compare the prices and availability of a Ten year old series 3

with
those of Fords of the same vintage.

Let alone the desirability...

Yeh, no one in their right mind would be seen dead in a 10 year old BMW.

Well among my 21 Y/O daughters friends, male and female, its the car of
choice!. Very trendy it seems. Well tended examples are highly sought
after. See what money the *older* ones are fetching still!..

Not my cup of tea though, Audi A6 estate for me.

And that's never been a bit of trouble either. Jerry certainly knows how
to screw cars together..

Desirability is intangible. BMW fairs in the middle of the tables for
reliability, the last one I looked at.

---

IMM

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..
"Conrad Edwards" wrote in message

I'm fed up with cheap quality washing machines and was thinking about
Miele.
How easy are they to fix after the 5 year guarantee is up...are parts
easy to get and reasonably priced?
How many of you have Miele and never have problems?

We've got one,and have never had problems, but ours is only 3 years old.

W844 model - got it from John Lewis.Can't remember how much - around £400
IIRC, was much cheaper than anywhere else.

Couple of things about Miele that make them attractive.

First, they're completely electronic controls -this is a big bonus over
mechnical motorised switch from reliability point of view. You can also
customise each program for spin speed, short wash and water usage.

Second, they're q-u-i-e-t! You can barely hear it when it's running.

Bosch
are similarly quiet, according to the specs though.

Third, they really are beautifully built - very durable enamelled finish,
good feel to all switches, etc. Wash action seems to be very gentle
compared with other machines that I've had.

However, be aware that they are very heavy. Removals men groan when they
see them (anecdotal evidence from brother when he moved).

We got ours after spending a weekend at my brothers and (not) hearing

theirs
whilst we were eating dinner one evening. He has had cause to call the
service engineers once, but that was because Barratts managed to plumb the
hot and cold supplies in reverse order in their new house, and he got them
to pay for a service as the machine wasn't behaving quite as it should
(whilst incorreclty plumbed) and he wasn't taking any chances. No

problems
since.

If you can find one at a good price (shop around) then go for it. Cost
saving wasn't necessarily our objective when we bought ours, so ROI
comparisons with cheaper machines didn't really come into it. We'd buy
another, though, but don't plan on doing so for a long time yet.

But when they go down, which they do, you have no clean clothes. The all
important "down time". Two mid priced machines also means a quicker wash,
as twice the load, and not dragged out over days with washing ganging around
the kitchen, etc.

---

IMM

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..

We've got one,and have never had problems, but ours is only 3 years old.

W844 model - got it from John Lewis.Can't remember how much - around £400
IIRC, was much cheaper than anywhere else.

Couple of things about Miele that make them attractive.

First, they're completely electronic controls -this is a big bonus over
mechnical motorised switch from reliability point of view.

Virtually all washing machines have full electronic controls today. They
have rotary dials, with artificial stops that give the impression of a
mechanical switch, for ease of use. Digital displays confuse people.

Which magazine did point out that modern machines are far more reliable than
those of 10,15, 20 years ago. So, an average performing machine today in
reliability, will be a top of the range machine 10 years ago. There is no
sense in buying a super expensive machine purely for reliability these days.

---

RichardS

"IMM" wrote in message

snip

But when they go down, which they do, you have no clean clothes. The all
important "down time". Two mid priced machines also means a quicker wash,
as twice the load, and not dragged out over days with washing ganging

around
the kitchen, etc.

I'm sure that 100% redundancy does produce zero downtime in this instance.

However....

1) I don't have room for 2 washing machines. Well, I do, but it's taken up
by a second fridge, which _is_ used daily.

2) Are the £200 mid-priced machines as quiet?

3) Are they A-efficiency rated?

4) Why the hell has this thread become another soapbox for another one of
your crazy ideas?

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

IMM

"The Q" wrote in message
snip

Course take it to its logical conclusion you'd need a standby generator
as well for the odd chance of a power cut.

yes so?

Do you have cuts for a week? Machine breaks down, appointment for the
service man, he comes, orders part, fixes it. It under a week you are very
lucky.

but then we are miles out in deepest Norfolk and get several power cuts a
year.. and served? by 24/7

You can buy a 3kW genny for £200. Have a throwover switch on your CU so
that when there is a cut, you plug in the genny and the essential circuits
are served.

---

IMM

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , John
writes
[...]

I had one of those for a few days while my car was being repaired after I
was shunted. I thought it was dog.

---

IMM

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , fred writes
In article , tony sayer
writes

Bit like a BMW over a ford IMHO...

Are you saying that Miele are generally bought by arrogant pricks :-?

No.

Just that its more environmentally friendly to buy something that will
last rather than summat cheap, that will fill the landfill sooner. Just
look at modern day Videos and TV's..

I had a Phillips washing machine that lasted 18-19 years. "Great quality" I
hear you cry. When I replaced it the new machine washed clothes far, far
better as technology had moved on. I would have been better off if it
packed up after 9 years.

---

IMM

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..

But when they go down, which they do,
you have no clean clothes. The all
important "down time". Two mid priced
machines also means a quicker wash,
as twice the load, and not dragged out
over days with washing hanging
around the kitchen, etc.

I'm sure that 100% redundancy does produce
zero downtime in this instance.

However....

1) I don't have room for 2 washing machines.

A bummer.

2) Are the £200 mid-priced machines as quiet?

These days not bad. But you can get Bosch machines from £200-250 which are
quiet.

3) Are they A-efficiency rated?

The Argos Candy, at £189, was AA rated.

4) Why the hell has this thread become
another soapbox for another one of
your crazy ideas?

It is plain you cannot think outside the box. Lateral thinking has flown
you by.

---

Andy Hall

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 02:04:50 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"The Q" wrote in message
. ..
snip

Course take it to its logical conclusion you'd need a standby generator
as well for the odd chance of a power cut.

yes so?

Do you have cuts for a week? Machine breaks down, appointment for the
service man, he comes, orders part, fixes it. It under a week you are very
lucky.

but then we are miles out in deepest Norfolk and get several power cuts a
year.. and served? by 24/7

You can buy a 3kW genny for £200. Have a throwover switch on your CU so
that when there is a cut, you plug in the genny and the essential circuits
are served.

That would be highly dangerous. There is specific protective
switchgear for connecting a generator to replace a house supply.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

tony sayer

In article , IMM
writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , John
writes
[...]

We got one because a mate of mine worked in a vehicle recovery business
and I once asked him what was the best motor in which to survive an
accident...

The reply was quite simple " The ones in Range rovers, big four traks,
big Mercs and Volvo's are the ones that walk away from them, and are in
a fit state to call the emergency services for the other's involved"..

Nuff said...

--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer

In article , IMM
writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , IMM

writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news In article , Conrad

Edwards
writes

[...]

Yes, I'm sure they do. Not everyone appreciates quality...

--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer

In article , IMM
writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Steve Firth
writes
tony sayer wrote:

Well compare the prices and availability of a Ten year old series 3

with
those of Fords of the same vintage.

Let alone the desirability...

Yeh, no one in their right mind would be seen dead in a 10 year old BMW.

Well among my 21 Y/O daughters friends, male and female, its the car of
choice!. Very trendy it seems. Well tended examples are highly sought
after. See what money the *older* ones are fetching still!..

Not my cup of tea though, Audi A6 estate for me.

And that's never been a bit of trouble either. Jerry certainly knows how
to screw cars together..

Desirability is intangible. BMW fairs in the middle of the tables for
reliability, the last one I looked at.

Well I don't have a beeemm but the people I know that do, are very
pleased with them.

Anyway I'm quite please with me Vorsprung De Tech...
--
Tony Sayer

RichardS

"IMM" wrote in message

snip

But it still beaks down and there is down time. Two Ford's (spit) will

mean
no down time.

snip

and of course two lots of Road Fund License, Insurance, two parking spaces,
along with two resident's permits (if necessary, and the second permit is
often heavily loaded if there isn't a second person in the household to
register it against), two lots of natural resources and energy required to
make the thing in the first place, two lots of annual servicing bills (and
decent independent BMW, Volvo et al services aren't that much more expensive
than Fords - if you want to see high service & parts bills try buying one of
the higher end Hondas) etc etc.

But then this only applies in the real world...

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Dave Plowman

********.

--
*Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

RichardS

"IMM" wrote in message

snip

4) Why the hell has this thread become
another soapbox for another one of
your crazy ideas?

It is plain you cannot think outside the box. Lateral thinking has flown
you by.

Nope.

In this instance Reality kicks in. OP has already stated that he doesn't
have space for 2 washing machines.

I'm sure your suggestion has been noted, however (it's been stated about 20
times in this thread alone). Leave it there. Move on.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

IMM

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , John
writes
[...]

See yesterdays Sunday Times. Toyota Avensis and Renault are tops. And you
don't have to wear and anorak in them either.

---

IMM

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..
"IMM" wrote in message

snip

4) Why the hell has this thread become
another soapbox for another one of
your crazy ideas?

It is plain you cannot think outside the box. Lateral thinking has

flown
you by.

Nope.

In this instance Reality kicks in. OP has already stated that he doesn't
have space for 2 washing machines.

He does. He is keeping the old one.

I'm sure your suggestion has been
noted, however (it's been stated about 20
times in this thread alone).

It hasn't.

Leave it there. Move on.

Are you buying another washing machine?

---

Owain

"RichardS" wrote
| "IMM" wrote
| But when they go down, which they do, you have no clean clothes. The
all
| important "down time". Two mid priced machines also means a quicker
wash,
| as twice the load, and not dragged out over days with washing ganging
| around the kitchen, etc.
| I'm sure that 100% redundancy does produce zero downtime in this instance.
| However....
| 1) I don't have room for 2 washing machines. Well, I do, but it's taken
up
| by a second fridge, which _is_ used daily.

Down time might be important for all these families with young children who
seem to run the machine continuously. I don't know why, my mother hand
washed all the clothes, and terry nappies, and held down a full time
teaching job and did marking in the evening. Not that I'm suggesting
drudgery is next to saintliness.

But don't most normal people have a week's supply of spare clothes anyway?
Or a neighbour who would run a load through her/his machine? Or take a
bagful to work and run it through with the office tea-towels.

Owain

Owain

"BigWallop" wrote
| All I know is that I'm sticking with my 20 year old machine that has been
| rebuilt twice since new. It has a new inner and outer drum, a new timer
| module, new heater, new motor control board, new shock absorbers, has had
| two changes of water inlet valves, all new thermostats, a new pressure
| switch and attachments and a new front control knob when the original one
| had its spline broken by the kids turning it back the wrong way and it
| couldn't be glued.

Trying to remember the scaffie on ONly Fools and Horses who had a broom like
that.

| Who am I kidding 20 years old. The only thing that's still original is
the
| casing and even that has had a new coat of paint.

I'd change those water hoses too. They're probably going to split soon :-)

| Still a washing machine is a washing machine and they all have interchan-
| geable parts and are easily modified when you need them to be. :-))

And what have you modified yours to do? Bounce up and down on its little
feet to the tune of Bonny Lass o' Fyvie on a 60deg Warm Whites cycle?

Owain