Bob Eager

Default Miele washing machines

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:28:51 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

Given the very heavy use they get, I think that's not unreasonable.
Total cost of parts (if I'd gone to the right place, anyway) about 20
quid total. Spares are cheap and easy to obtain.

That, to me, is a pretty good TCO and would outperfornm a Miele by far.
OK, it doesn't include labour...but this is uk.d-i-y!

I don't follow the logic of that. The cost of having to replace a
set of bearings is not so much the cost of the materials - as you
point out they are cheap - but in the cost of doing the work.

Yes...but to a DIY-er it's a good deal. To a non-DIY-er it isn't.

Or, to put it another way...the TCO of a Hotpoint is lower than a Miele
to a DIY-er...but *may* not be to soemone else.

I have no idea how long changing bearings takes on a Hotpoint or how
it is done, but I am sure that the labour cost for having the work
done professionally is going to be several times the parts cost.

Ian probably knows...but it took me about 3 hours...

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..