Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY anti-face-touching-device

A rare story these days - even has a coronavirus element but still made me laugh.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when you touch your face
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-device
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah so this gave him a magnetic personality then?
Was he in a state of flux at the time?
This seems poles apart from what might be needed? A paper bag is all you
need.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
A rare story these days - even has a coronavirus element but still made me
laugh.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus
device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting magnets
in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when you touch
your face
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-device

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2020 08:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:
A rare story these days - even has a coronavirus element but still made me laugh.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when you touch your face
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-device

Thanks for that.
I doubt there is anyone who will not laugh at this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Surely you need a smart phone attached to your face, most have a proximity
detector in them these days that tells when its moved away from the face and
puts it on speaker phone.

Alternatively, there are sheets of material that have one side magnetised,
you could use a hall effect detector chip and invert the output with one
transistor to drive a sounder. Trouble is you would need a lot of magnetic
material glued to your face.
Does anyone remember the Theromone? This used the capacity change by
moving your hands to control an oscillator so that you could make music with
it. Perhaps the same could be done for the face? of course painting your
face with silver conductive paint might be a drawback.
Brian

--
----- --

"Richard" wrote in message
On 30/03/2020 08:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:
A rare story these days - even has a coronavirus element but still made
me laugh.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus
device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting magnets
in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when you touch
your face
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-device

Thanks for that.
I doubt there is anyone who will not laugh at this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2020 08:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:
A rare story these days - even has a coronavirus element but still made me laugh.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when you touch your face
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-device

We should not, of course, laugh about ingesting rare earth magnets. I
believe there have been fatalities after children have swallowed them
separately, and they then caused gut ruptures after trying to join up
inside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 March 2020 09:48:59 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

We should not, of course, laugh about ingesting rare earth magnets. I
believe there have been fatalities after children have swallowed them
separately, and they then caused gut ruptures after trying to join up
inside.

In the general case - I agree. Potentially hideous issues with, usually, children and animals. Also with coin batteries.

But in this specific case, where the outcome was pretty good, I couldn't help myself laughing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Richard
writes

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...trophysicist-g
ets-magnets-stuck-up-nose-while-inventing-coronavirus-device

Thanks for that.
I doubt there is anyone who will not laugh at this.

I can't help feeling that this news was released two days too soon.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2020 08:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:

snip

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus device

A few weeks ago I'd assume that was a random computer generated sentence.

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2020 09:17, Richard wrote:
On 30/03/2020 08:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:
A rare story these days - even has a coronavirus element but still
made me laugh.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus
device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting
magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when
you touch your face
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-device

Thanks for that.
I doubt there is anyone who will not laugh at this.

I don't know - he does not look at all happy posing for that photo :-)

(bad enough trying to live something like that down without having a
major news outlet cover it!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2020 14:48, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/03/2020 09:17, Richard wrote:
On 30/03/2020 08:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:
A rare story these days - even has a coronavirus element but still
made me laugh.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus
device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting
magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when
you touch your face
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-device

Thanks for that.
I doubt there is anyone who will not laugh at this.

I don't know - he does not look at all happy posing for that photo :-)

(bad enough trying to live something like that down without having a
major news outlet cover it!)

I particularly liked "My partner took me to the hospital that she works
in because she wanted all her colleagues to laugh at me."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 March 2020 15:04:29 UTC+1, Richard wrote:

I particularly liked "My partner took me to the hospital that she works
in because she wanted all her colleagues to laugh at me."

Probably one of the finest!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 March 2020 13:46:28 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 30/03/2020 08:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:

snip

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus device

A few weeks ago I'd assume that was a random computer generated sentence.

What do you mean weeks? I'd have thought that before 08:00 this morning!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 30/03/2020 09:17, Richard wrote:
On 30/03/2020 08:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:
A rare story these days - even has a coronavirus element but still made
me laugh.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus
device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting
magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when
you touch your face
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-device

Thanks for that.
I doubt there is anyone who will not laugh at this.

The story reads rather like Gerard Hoffnung's bricks-and-barrel story,
gradually getting worse and worse:

- When he removed the magnets from the outside of his nose, the two inside
stuck together. Unfortunately, the researcher then attempted to use his
remaining magnets to remove them.

- The solution ... was more magnets. [baaad idea]

- As I was pulling downwards to try and remove the magnets, they clipped on
to each other and I lost my grip. And those two magnets ended up in my left
nostril while the other one was in my right. At this point I ran out of
magnets.

- Reardon attempted to use pliers to pull them out, but they became
magnetised by the magnets inside his nose. €śEvery time I brought the pliers
close to my nose, my entire nose would shift towards the pliers and then the
pliers would stick to the magnet€ť.

- The astrophysicist ... had ruled out further experiments with the magnets
and face-touching, and would find other ways to pass the time while at home.
[lesson learned]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2020 19:40, ARW wrote:
On 30/03/2020 09:17, Richard wrote:
On 30/03/2020 08:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:
A rare story these days - even has a coronavirus element but still
made me laugh.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus
device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting
magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when
you touch your face
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-device

Thanks for that.
I doubt there is anyone who will not laugh at this.

dennis?

Dennis is gone mate

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 30/03/2020 19:40, ARW wrote:
On 30/03/2020 09:17, Richard wrote:
On 30/03/2020 08:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:
A rare story these days - even has a coronavirus element but still
made me laugh.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus
device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting
magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when
you touch your face
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-device

Thanks for that.
I doubt there is anyone who will not laugh at this.

dennis?

Dennis is gone mate

Proof?

He did say that he had been offered a hospice bed or to die at
home and that was quite a while ago now and hasnt posted again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 March 2020 19:58:50 UTC+1, NY wrote:

The story reads rather like Gerard Hoffnung's bricks-and-barrel story,
gradually getting worse and worse:

Exactly my thought.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 06:13 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER THREE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 06:13:29 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile Ozzietard's latest troll**** unread

06:13??? LOL You REALLY have NOTHING in your senile "life" other than your
senile trolling on these groups, you abnormal clinically insane senile pest!

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 11:15:38 -0700, polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Monday, 30 March 2020 15:04:29 UTC+1, Richard wrote:

I particularly liked "My partner took me to the hospital that she works
in because she wanted all her colleagues to laugh at me."

Probably one of the finest!

That sounds like something Adam might say, too.

wish to copy them they can pay me ÂŁ1 a message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2020 20:05, ARW wrote:
On 30/03/2020 19:40, ARW wrote:
On 30/03/2020 09:17, Richard wrote:
On 30/03/2020 08:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:
A rare story these days - even has a coronavirus element but still
made me laugh.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing
coronavirus device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting
magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you
when you touch your face
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-device

Thanks for that.
I doubt there is anyone who will not laugh at this.

dennis?

Dennis is gone mate

Proof?

He said he was going home to die a month or more ago, and he's been
absent since

--
€śBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€ť

Mary Wollstonecraft
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 30/03/2020 20:05, ARW wrote:
On 30/03/2020 19:40, ARW wrote:
On 30/03/2020 09:17, Richard wrote:
On 30/03/2020 08:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:
A rare story these days - even has a coronavirus element but still
made me laugh.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing
coronavirus device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting
magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you
when you touch your face
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-device

Thanks for that.
I doubt there is anyone who will not laugh at this.

dennis?

Dennis is gone mate

Proof?

He said he was going home to die a month or more ago, and he's been
absent since

True but he said a lot of things and I know someone who keeps checking
the Tipon obituries. He has not yet been named.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2020 08:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:
A rare story these days - even has a coronavirus element but still made me laugh.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when you touch your face
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-device

Farmers have suggested smearing onto your hands fresh cow dung. It will
prevent you touching your face and make you wash your hands before
eating. It has the added advantage that people will keep at least 2
metres away from you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 30/03/2020 08:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:
A rare story these days - even has a coronavirus element but still made
me laugh.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus
device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting magnets
in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when you touch
your face
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-device

Farmers have suggested smearing onto your hands fresh cow dung. It will
prevent you touching your face and make you wash your hands before eating.
It has the added advantage that people will keep at least 2 metres away
from you.

Bit of a lack of fresh cow **** around here tho.

I used to walk thru a big paddock with beef cattle in it
but that mate of mine who owned it sold it and the new
owner's manager wont let me walk thru it anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 05:00 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for EXACTLY ONE HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 1 Apr 2020 05:00:50 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bit of a lack of fresh cow **** around here tho.

Compared to all the **** in your senile head, yes, senile Rodent!

"That˘s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."