John E. Jones

Default Anti-Scalding device question

I have heard of an anti-scalding device that can just screw into a kitchen
faucet. If this device exist, I could use it. Does anyone know of a web
source where I could perhaps find one?

Thanks,

John

mark Ransley

why not turn down your water heater

Joseph Meehan

Sorry I don't know where you may find one, but I have also heard of one.
I wonder how effective it may be.

Have you considered just turning down the water heater temperature?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"John E. Jones" wrote in message
I have heard of an anti-scalding device that can just screw into a kitchen
faucet. If this device exist, I could use it. Does anyone know of a web
source where I could perhaps find one?

Thanks,

John

Dave Gower

"John E. Jones" wrote in message
I have heard of an anti-scalding device that can just screw into a kitchen
faucet. If this device exist, I could use it. Does anyone know of a web
source where I could perhaps find one?

Here in Canada they're being advertised at Canadian Tire, our biggest
hardware superstore chain, so I presume they are available at similar stores
in the U.S. as well. Don't know how well they work.

Daniel L. Belton

From: "John E. Jones"
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Anti-Scalding device question
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 03:47:04 -0700
http://www.giganews.com/info/dmca.html

I have heard of an anti-scalding device that can just screw into a kitchen
faucet. If this device exist, I could use it. Does anyone know of a web
source where I could perhaps find one?

Thanks,

John

http://www.antiscald.com/
http://www.powerscontrols.com/

JohnB

Dave Gower wrote:
"John E. Jones" wrote in message

I have heard of an anti-scalding device that can just screw into a kitchen
faucet. If this device exist, I could use it. Does anyone know of a web
source where I could perhaps find one?

Here in Canada they're being advertised at Canadian Tire, our biggest
hardware superstore chain, so I presume they are available at similar stores
in the U.S. as well. Don't know how well they work.

I put an "antiscald" gadget on my shower so I would not get scalded
if my wife flushed the toilet while I was in the shower. I took it
out because it was less trouble to get out of the way while the cold
water pressure was low while the toilet tank refilled. What I used
was similar to this one on the Ace Hardware web site:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...entPage=search

They seem to have others for baths, but I did not see one for
kitchen faucets.

Richard J Kinch

John E. Jones writes:

I have heard of an anti-scalding device that can just screw into a
kitchen faucet. If this device exist, I could use it.

I have Power Hydroguard tempering devices installed. These are very costly
fixtures built into the plumbing. I suspect the cheap units don't work
well.
Frogleg

"John E. Jones" wrote

I have heard of an anti-scalding device that can just screw into a kitchen
faucet. If this device exist, I could use it. Does anyone know of a web
source where I could perhaps find one?

I see someone has already suggested turning down the water heater. For
what purpose do you need to maintain water that is hot enough to
scald? You mention a kitchen faucet, which suggests either dish- or
handwashing to me. Of course it's nice to have a near-boiling water
spigot for coffee and instant soup, but those are usually add-ons, not
OE.
L. M. Rappaport

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:51:27 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote (with possible editing):

John E. Jones writes:

I have heard of an anti-scalding device that can just screw into a
kitchen faucet. If this device exist, I could use it.

I have Power Hydroguard tempering devices installed. These are very costly
fixtures built into the plumbing. I suspect the cheap units don't work
well.

I'm not sure of this, but I _think_ anti-scald is now part of the
plumbing code. I know Delta, Moen, Kohler fixtures all come with it.
I think they also limit flow.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
Daniel L. Belton

On 17-Nov-2003, Frogleg wrote:

"John E. Jones" wrote

I have heard of an anti-scalding device that can just screw into a
kitchen
faucet. If this device exist, I could use it. Does anyone know of a web
source where I could perhaps find one?

I see someone has already suggested turning down the water heater. For
what purpose do you need to maintain water that is hot enough to
scald? You mention a kitchen faucet, which suggests either dish- or
handwashing to me. Of course it's nice to have a near-boiling water
spigot for coffee and instant soup, but those are usually add-ons, not
OE.

For those two things, I would get one of the additional flash type hot water
spigots that are designed to dispense near-boiling hot water. I wouldn't be
heating all of my water to the higher temp just for the occasional cup of
soup. Or even the very frequent cup of coffee...

John E. Jones

Actually, my water comes out at 138F. Which is exactly the perfect temp to
run all of my plumbing needs with the number of people in the house. I do
not consider anything a real scalding risk until it gets a little higher in
temp. I just wanted something that would keep the water at 120F or so, at
just that ONE place.

Personally, I do not like setting the water heater down on 120F. I bought
the house, I bought the heater, and damn it, I'm going to take my hot
showers...

John

"Frogleg" wrote in message
"John E. Jones" wrote

I have heard of an anti-scalding device that can just screw into a

kitchen
faucet. If this device exist, I could use it. Does anyone know of a web
source where I could perhaps find one?

I see someone has already suggested turning down the water heater. For
what purpose do you need to maintain water that is hot enough to
scald? You mention a kitchen faucet, which suggests either dish- or
handwashing to me. Of course it's nice to have a near-boiling water
spigot for coffee and instant soup, but those are usually add-ons, not
OE.

Frogleg

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 01:53:27 -0700, "John E. Jones"
wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote i

"John E. Jones" wrote

I have heard of an anti-scalding device that can just screw into a

kitchen
faucet. If this device exist, I could use it. Does anyone know of a web
source where I could perhaps find one?

I see someone has already suggested turning down the water heater.

Actually, my water comes out at 138F. Which is exactly the perfect temp to
run all of my plumbing needs with the number of people in the house. I do
not consider anything a real scalding risk until it gets a little higher in
temp. I just wanted something that would keep the water at 120F or so, at
just that ONE place.

Personally, I do not like setting the water heater down on 120F. I bought
the house, I bought the heater, and damn it, I'm going to take my hot
showers...

I can sympathize with *that*. :-)

However, after I posted, I looked up some references to "scalding." It
seemed highly unlikely (to me) that one could be scalded by water at
120F, which is summer air temperature in some dismal locations.
However, evidently this *is* possible with skin exposure over several
minutes. A shorter time at 140F. Tapwater scalding is primarily a
hazard for young children/babies and the elderly.

As to the original question, searching on

scald temperature

turned up a number of references to plumbing gadgets/valves suitable
for your purpose. Just don't fall asleep in the shower. :-)

Frogleg

John E. Jones writes:

I have heard of an anti-scalding device that can just screw into a
kitchen faucet. If this device exist, I could use it.

I have Power Hydroguard tempering devices installed. These are very costly
fixtures built into the plumbing. I suspect the cheap units don't work
well.

I'm not sure of this, but I _think_ anti-scald is now part of the
plumbing code. I know Delta, Moen, Kohler fixtures all come with it.
I think they also limit flow.

Phoo! Doesn't *everything* these days? My replacement shower head
delivers a spray of ant-spit proportions. Fortunately, the toilet is
old-fashioned.
L. M. Rappaport

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:59:20 GMT, Frogleg wrote
(with possible editing):

John E. Jones writes:

I have heard of an anti-scalding device that can just screw into a
kitchen faucet. If this device exist, I could use it.

I have Power Hydroguard tempering devices installed. These are very costly
fixtures built into the plumbing. I suspect the cheap units don't work
well.

I'm not sure of this, but I _think_ anti-scald is now part of the
plumbing code. I know Delta, Moen, Kohler fixtures all come with it.
I think they also limit flow.

Phoo! Doesn't *everything* these days? My replacement shower head
delivers a spray of ant-spit proportions. Fortunately, the toilet is
old-fashioned.

I agree. Fortunately, we're close to Canada. They haven't adopted
those stupid standards...

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
Greg Stark

"Daniel L. Belton" writes:

On 17-Nov-2003, Frogleg wrote:

I see someone has already suggested turning down the water heater. For
what purpose do you need to maintain water that is hot enough to
scald? You mention a kitchen faucet, which suggests either dish- or
handwashing to me. Of course it's nice to have a near-boiling water
spigot for coffee and instant soup, but those are usually add-ons, not
OE.

For those two things, I would get one of the additional flash type hot water
spigots that are designed to dispense near-boiling hot water. I wouldn't be
heating all of my water to the higher temp just for the occasional cup of
soup. Or even the very frequent cup of coffee...

The traditional reason to have 140 degree water was for more effective clothes
and dish washing. Temperature makes a big difference in both cases.

However modern dishwashers mostly come with built in water heaters with
thermostats that wait until the water reaches 150 degrees. This is even better
for sanitary constraints than leaving the water heater on 140. If you have
such a dishwasher then you're best off lowering the hot water heater at least
somewhat, if not to 120. You'll reduce your hot water heating bill too.

As far as clothes washing I guess people just decided it wasn't worth the
physical risk for whiter whites.

You don't need 140 degree water to have hot showers. At that temperature
you'll be mixing in plenty of cold water just to avoid leaving the shower with
first degree burns. I like hot showers myself and wouldn't be surprised if 120
were too low, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure 140 isn't necessary for
anyone's shower tastes.

PS: My hot water heater is at 140, but then my dishwasher doesn't heat to 150
so that's my excuse.

--
greg

Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM
Question about possible 'floating neutral' donald girod Home Repair 1 June 30th 03 03:47 AM