Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Marking wood. Face side & face edge

When I was at school in the mid '60s, the woodwork teacher taught us to mark
the face side of a rectangular piece of wood with a loop in pencil, and extend
the tail of the loop down the face edge with an inverted V

Is this all terribly quaint, or do people actually still do this in practice?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Feb, 09:28, "Graham." wrote:
When I was at school in the mid '60s, the woodwork teacher taught us to mark
the face side of a rectangular piece of wood with a loop in pencil, and extend
the tail of the loop down the face edge with an inverted V

Is this all terribly quaint, or do people actually still do this in practice?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

That's the same way as I was taught and it continues to work just fine
for me.

If it ain't broke. . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 09:28:08 -0000, "Graham." wrote:

When I was at school in the mid '60s, the woodwork teacher taught us to mark
the face side of a rectangular piece of wood with a loop in pencil, and extend
the tail of the loop down the face edge with an inverted V

Is this all terribly quaint, or do people actually still do this in practice?

I do, but I don't see much evidence of others doing the same :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Feb 20, 9:28*am, "Graham." wrote:
When I was at school in the mid '60s, the woodwork teacher taught us to mark
the face side of a rectangular piece of wood with a loop in pencil, and extend
the tail of the loop down the face edge with an inverted V

Is this all terribly quaint, or do people actually still do this in practice?

It was the same for me when I did O-level woodwork in the mid-to-
late-70s, and I still do it, both for 'joinery' and for slightly more
fancy work. I don't see many people doing it, but then I don't see
many people doing this kind of work either, apart from myself.

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:
On Feb 20, 9:28 am, "Graham." wrote:
When I was at school in the mid '60s, the woodwork teacher taught us to mark
the face side of a rectangular piece of wood with a loop in pencil, and extend
the tail of the loop down the face edge with an inverted V

Is this all terribly quaint, or do people actually still do this in practice?

It was the same for me when I did O-level woodwork in the mid-to-
late-70s, and I still do it, both for 'joinery' and for slightly more
fancy work. I don't see many people doing it, but then I don't see
many people doing this kind of work either, apart from myself.

J^n

I mark wood where its important. Mostly it isn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I re-trained in traditional wooden boatbuilding at IBTC in the last
few years - and found it's still used/taught there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message
When I was at school in the mid '60s, the woodwork teacher taught us to
mark
the face side of a rectangular piece of wood with a loop in pencil, and
extend
the tail of the loop down the face edge with an inverted V

Is this all terribly quaint, or do people actually still do this in
practice?

It depends on how accurate you need to be.
The same can done in metal work and you measure from the marked faces.
This reduces errors, most off the time.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
jkn wrote:
On Feb 20, 9:28 am, "Graham." wrote:
When I was at school in the mid '60s, the woodwork teacher taught
us to mark the face side of a rectangular piece of wood with a loop
in pencil, and extend the tail of the loop down the face edge with
an inverted V Is this all terribly quaint, or do people actually still
do this in
practice?

It was the same for me when I did O-level woodwork in the mid-to-
late-70s, and I still do it, both for 'joinery' and for slightly more
fancy work. I don't see many people doing it, but then I don't see
many people doing this kind of work either, apart from myself.

J^n

I mark wood where its important. Mostly it isn't.

Face and face edge markings are 'important', as all squaring and marking out
is done from those faces - and very necessary if the stock you are using is
not accurately machined (a normal state these days).

Cash